Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New First - time for change to unisex amenity kits

Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK,BA,QR

Been thinking of this for some time now, and perhaps alongside the relatively new changes to J and now to F, that surely it's time that BA introduced unisex amenity bags/pjs?
Also, it's IMO that it would be good to be offered the choice of either male or female amenity kits - yes, one could ask for a change, however, it could be proactively offered. I don't know if there are other airlines that do offer the above, it would be interesting to find out. In this day and age I would have thought it would be an obvious change to make.
I'd be interested to find out what others think.

PS - I have tried to edit the title to include amenity bag - unable to do so, apologies!
icebird and abligh like this.

Last edited by offtothehills; Mar 31, 2019 at 3:09 am Reason: To clarify thread title.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
I’d welcome a choice, my husband never uses the contents of his kit but I do use mine so it would be great if hubby could get a female amenity kit. In practice I can’t see this ever working, how would you plan stock if you offered a choice?
nancypants and abligh like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Good point, I guess it could be part of "manage my booking" process. I guess they could do trial/surveys initially. They offer meal choices, so it should not be a problem.
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SaraJH
Id welcome a choice, my husband never uses the contents of his kit but I do use mine so it would be great if hubby could get a female amenity kit. In practice I cant see this ever working, how would you plan stock if you offered a choice?

well its like asking 'how do you plan stock on champagne' and as we know BA always gets it wrong.

PJs i can understand how they may run out of a size as they cant carry 14x each size! but for kits, its not hard to stock enough of each as its not like it goes off or bad so can always be used for future flights.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Id welcome a choice, my husband never uses the contents of his kit but I do use mine so it would be great if hubby could get a female amenity kit. In practice I cant see this ever working, how would you plan stock if you offered a choice?
He just needs to ask - I have asked for the female kit on several occasions; many cabin crew just assume there is a certain product you want from it and don't even blink at the request!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Originally Posted by offtothehills
Good point, I guess it could be part of "manage my booking" process. I guess they could do trial/surveys initially. They offer meal choices, so it should not be a problem.
Good point, if the IT worked then I could see this as a benefit but of course it would cost in both implementing and managing so I’m not convinced that would get past the bean counters!

Last edited by SaraJH; Mar 31, 2019 at 4:06 am Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:33 am

I'm confused. You're suggesting BA move to unisex amenity kits and pjs but then want to be offered a choice of male or female kits
orbitmic, LPQ, flyerkit and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:56 am

Just ask- you will be given whichever you want.

More premium passengers are male than female and so I suggest that any unisex bag would be very male dominated.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If you would like the ladies version I would ask on inbound flight to the UK as it’s the ladies bags that we sometimes run out of and never the mens.
SaraJH and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
What is the difference in the contents between mens and womens kits?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Jagboi and SaraJH like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I’d welcome a choice, my husband never uses the contents of his kit but I do use mine so it would be great if hubby could get a female amenity kit. In practice I can’t see this ever working, how would you plan stock if you offered a choice?
I often ask for men’s inbound to th UK. What I do is to accept the ladies’ iniially and not open it, and once everyone has been given theirs I ask if I could swap it for a man’s. Or I ask to be given a men’s after everyone else has had theirs. Only asking on the inbound to the UK ensures it is unlikely for anyone to end up being left short, which could happen down route as I am not sure if they are replenished downroute.

I have never had it declined, and it should not inconvenience anyone.
I would think the same should work the other way round.
flygirl68 and SaraJH like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 31, 2019 at 9:26 am
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
A reminder that an increasing number of passengers in the future (and many now) will identify as neither male nor female.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by hsmall
A reminder that an increasing number of passengers in the future (and many now) will identify as neither male nor female.
Indeed - was going to make the same point, and that I'm surprised there aren't any unisex kits (of which I'm aware) offered yet.
hsmall, offtothehills and flyerkit like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I'm confused. You're suggesting BA move to unisex amenity kits and pjs but then want to be offered a choice of male or female kits
I see where you are coming from, however, I am happy with my female ones and will ask for a male one instead if I want one, for whatever reason. It's not about me - it's about others who may wish the option.
My main point, which i should have perhaps made clearer, was/is that there are some people - gay, transgender etc, who may not wish to have their gender specific kit given to them and who may not feel confident enough to request them. Re the non gender specific kits - I just think it is appropriate in this day and age to have them included in that choice. I hope that this clarifies things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.