Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

There has to be a better model for lounge guesting [with family]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

There has to be a better model for lounge guesting [with family]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Back in the 90s, when there were less GCH and when BA staff were allowed some discretion, if a lounge was not too busy, as a GCH, I was allowed to take my wife and 2 girls in to lounges. It was not an entitlement, and I did not want it to be.
the problem is that human nature being what it is, folk tend to accept that the have no entitlement only when they are receiving the privilege on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure that "sorry not today" would often be met with the suggestion that the lounge was not quite so busy as all that, and after all an extra guest had bee allowed in last week etc etc
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Explorer/Flying Blue Petroleum Club
What about adapting a current lounge and implementing a family area?

I know some lounges have a kids zone but I mean an actual area for a family to sit and relax.

Surely this would be win win if it was adhered to, the families have their area and business travelers have their area.

I take maybe 1 or 2 family vacations per year and the rest of my flights are for business and I would not be apposed to this proposal.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:53 am

I wonder how much BA think lounge access is worth? They could split entitlement up so that only some people get lounge access, and some get a £20 (or equiv.) amount to spend in the airport. No doubt deals can be made such that BA only have to pay £15 for each voucher they issue or something.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm still puzzled by the "better model" reference.

After all, what the OP seeks is simply a guesting policy which operates in his favour.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Or (and I know its a novel thought for some) those desperate to feed and water their little darlings could just spend £20 at Giraffe instead of asking for exceptions preferential to themselves?

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of supposedly successful people swanning around the world in business and first all the time who apparently lack the wherewithal to rub two 10p pieces together.

"Please Sir, can I have some more??"

"Can I have a bowl of gruel to feed my little Tarquin dressed in rags?"

The amount of times I end up in a lounge and just have a bottle of water, because I've eaten a meal I actually want to eat in the terminal is considerable, I guess some people genuinely love lounge food, but I'd rather pay for a meal I'd enjoy then just nosh down some free grub.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
It does seem to me this could be commercially a good idea for BA. For a gold who spends all year travelling by his/herself not using their guest quota, could it be a significant loyalty driver to be able to make their family holiday much more comfortable?

As someone who travels enough to get status in two alliances I have to say if I could guarantee to get my fiancé and my daughter in the lounge once a year it would make me more loyal to BA/Oneworld. I don’t think that one extra person in the lounge every August would make any material difference to anyone’s lounge enjoyment....

(paying with avios for a guest could be a good second option, this has much the same loyalty benefits but also widens avios usage for non-flight usage which might leave more seats on flights for others as well, so everyone wins..)
Engineering Travel likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:26 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I know that we are skirting the "kids on planes/ in Lounges" issue and this is fraught with danger. There is no one who will ever admit here that their children can be odious on occasion. Their children would sit still and be quiet - and it is true many would. I say this taking no sides as the two are implacable and I have to be honest and say that more children are well behaved than tiresome. Yet only the other day in the FLounge some young man of four or five was running amok and started an argument with his Mother at the top of his voice. Father sat engrossed in his screen. Ultimately, I was so glad that they were not on our flight. The problem is that these situations prejudice everyone to the presence of families - and it is unfair to the majority. Yet given that space is at a premium, I doubt that were the members of the Executive Club asked as they were many years ago about such an issue, the majority would not be in favour. Why sitting in a Lounge has become such a must-have is incomprehensible to me compared to traveling on holiday with one's family. It's about having fun all together. One thing is certain there is as much fun to be had in any of the Lounges as there is to be had at a dentists. They often remind me of a cross taxiderist's parlour and a telephone exchange.I actually think that it is not a great kindness to the children as they are bound to be excited and exuberant.

Maybe I should come out of retirement and we should open a corner of the Lounge where Auntie Pucci can entertain the children whilst Mama and Papa quaff as much Champagne as they like. Payment by the hour and No, American Express will not do nicely thank you. I do not come come cheap.
Gerbs and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BA GGL
It'd be awful to let this happen because the majority of the family guesting would happen during school holidays/half-term. As others have said, the benefits for a GCH are one guest. If you want more lounge access either go to a paying lounge or buy business tickets.
zanderblue likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Kids in lounges don't bother me. My mind if far too concentrated on stuffing my face with the complimentary food and drink on offer.
Isn't that what most folk are there for?
adrianlondon, RobDBA and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Kids in lounges don't bother me. My mind if far too concentrated on stuffing my face with the complimentary food and drink on offer.
hahahaha ... OK, I see where you are. ^

For me, somewhere comfortable and quiet ... which sort of puts me in the ‘no kids’ corner. But I do have a twinge of un-natural sympathy for those travelling with family on the relatively rare occasions they do it. A separate “Parents with Kids” zone would solve my issues.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Don't normally stuff my face in the lounge but last february when our flight was cancelled due to fog and we had to wait three hours, we certainly sampled all the food on offer, from breakfast to lunch, ... and a few drinks!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by steview111
The main reason I use the lounge is to get away from children, so im more than happy with the current arrangement.

Just my opinion.

Be careful, my 2 1/2 year old holds Gold status and will be in the Concorde room on Saturday evening before flying First. And this fortunately keeps us separate from all snobby Emeralds flying Eco but complaining about kids in a F/C lounge

A different model: LH allows all your own kids under the age of 18 in and this is certainly not the end of the world. I have experienced very annoying passengers not knowing how to behave themselves in public and I have experienced noisy kids. I prefer the kids.
PUCCI GALORE and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by RobDBA

As someone who travels enough to get status in two alliances I have to say if I could guarantee to get my fiancé and my daughter in the lounge once a year it would make me more loyal to BA/Oneworld. I don’t think that one extra person in the lounge every August would make any material difference to anyone’s lounge enjoyment....
You can easily do this under the current system by becoming GGL. Worth the additional loyalty?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by aceman
Or (and I know its a novel thought for some) those desperate to feed and water their little darlings could just spend £20 at Giraffe instead of asking for exceptions preferential to themselves?

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of supposedly successful people swanning around the world in business and first all the time who apparently lack the wherewithal to rub two 10p pieces together.

"Please Sir, can I have some more??"

"Can I have a bowl of gruel to feed my little Tarquin dressed in rags?"

The amount of times I end up in a lounge and just have a bottle of water, because I've eaten a meal I actually want to eat in the terminal is considerable, I guess some people genuinely love lounge food, but I'd rather pay for a meal I'd enjoy then just nosh down some free grub.
Well if Giraffe is your thing, then knock yourself out. I know my kids love it, despite them no longer handing out plastic giraffes (honestly, they have a sackful already...), but not exactly a step change in food quality from the BA lounge.

Either way, my little 'Tarquins' (actually it would be 'Jocastas' in my case) aren't likely to starve. But I appreciate your heartfelt concern
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
If you are flying from t3, use the Qantas Lounge. They don't count kids as guests.
I believe this is only the case for Qantas Club members, and doesn't apply for oneworld partner members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.