Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

There has to be a better model for lounge guesting [with family]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

There has to be a better model for lounge guesting [with family]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Thinking about this more I wonder how a change whereby there was no "+1" guesting rule but in each qualifying year BAEC members were given a number of "guesting vouchers".

This way everyone [guesting] would seem to benefit equally from it. Travellers +2 guests wouldn't overfill the lounge because it would be offset to some extent by travellers who usually guest +1 who would not being able to use the lounges so much.

Some of the earlier posts seemed to suggest people visiting lounges to avoid children. It sounds more like wanting to visit lounges to avoid loud or badly behaved children. I'd rather they were kept out too!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aceman
Or (and I know its a novel thought for some) those desperate to feed and water their little darlings could just spend Ł20 at Giraffe instead of asking for exceptions preferential to themselves?

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of supposedly successful people swanning around the world in business and first all the time who apparently lack the wherewithal to rub two 10p pieces together.

"Please Sir, can I have some more??"

"Can I have a bowl of gruel to feed my little Tarquin dressed in rags?"

The amount of times I end up in a lounge and just have a bottle of water, because I've eaten a meal I actually want to eat in the terminal is considerable, I guess some people genuinely love lounge food, but I'd rather pay for a meal I'd enjoy then just nosh down some free grub.
Unsure if this aimed at me or otherwise. The topic wasn't really about food or means to purchase it, rather lounge entry, and in my family's case somewhere more pleasant and comfortable to sit than elsewhere in the airport.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
Unsure if this aimed at me or otherwise. The topic wasn't really about food or means to purchase it, rather lounge entry, and in my family's case somewhere more pleasant and comfortable to sit than elsewhere in the airport.
I have to say, quite a bit of the time 'elsewhere in the airport' can be more pleasant and comfortable than lounges, all because of users.

You don't tend to get roaming mobile phone shouters, bag-on-seat hoggers, feet on table, or DYKWIA loudmouths at Plane Food.

I have to say a lot of lounge users set a terrible example for children to see.
Flying Lawyer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:24 am
Original Poster

We must have been lucky so far then
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
The kids playroom in the T5 Flounge is pretty horrid: no windows, the Air Con never works so it's permanently hot and stuffy.
The T3 flounge kids' room is much nicer.
And to the OP: this is one of the reasons I maintain GGL status and book more flights to oneworld than I otherwise would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.