Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

There has to be a better model for lounge guesting [with family]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

There has to be a better model for lounge guesting [with family]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steview111
The main reason I use the lounge is to get away from children, so im more than happy with the current arrangement.

Just my opinion.
What lounge is that, pray tell?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
What lounge is that, pray tell?
I want to know too !

Especially if it means avoiding kids who see the lounges as play-centres to be enjoyed at maximum volume
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
The simplest system would be to get rid of guesting altogether, no status or no J/F ticket = no lounge access and no arguments . It will have the added benefit of less crowded lounges.
Crismyth and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
If you are flying from t3, use the Qantas Lounge. They don't count kids as guests.
Would be good for me tomorrow with a party of six including 2 kids. However one of my kids is gold so is needed to guest an adult meaning we are still one short.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
TP run to silver for the wife?

I know it can be frustrating when you're one guest short, but at some point there must be a limit somewhere.
Crismyth likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
I do wonder why lounges haven't followed the trend in many other markets that themselves have become fragmented and increasingly niche?

Why do people use lounges? As I see it, it comes down to a few common denominators; (please add if I've missed some) 1) a quiet place to wait for the flight, 2) a place to get something to eat and drink as a perceived benefit of the class booked or the status one has, 3) a place that is 'known' and 'familiar' to wait for the time to pass between flights (just like some people choose the same airline so they know what to expect), 4) a place to do some business between flights.

We seem to have 'a' lounge in some places, whereas in others, we get a few choices based on 'status or class of travel'. While I'm not suggesting removing the class structure of various lounges, I'd certainly welcome a segregation based on purpose for the lounge one is entitled to use...i.e. A common area where families on the same ticket could enjoy the food and drink, kids corners, and some familiar surroundings for those that want some normalcy in the chaos of travel. A quiet zone that is enforced and no children would be allowed in, a 'work' zone where those wanting to shout into their mobiles or face time and type or print can do so (potentially with segregated booths to minimise the noise between users again without children. (or some variant of this concept)...Then those with friends or family looking to get a drink or two and have a chat can do so in a common area, those that want to work can also do so, with some privacy and those that simply want quiet would also be able to find that sanctuary. One could have zoned off rooms to differentiate and staffed to ensure the zones are enforced. Of course, they could simply keep the current conditions for occupancy (too many and you can't come in)...but then it would allow those families that want to get into a lounge the ability to do so, but also allow those of us that want a bit of peace and quiet and yes maybe a quick drink somewhere to go as well...invariably someone will want to work (god forbid)...so giving them a space as well separate to the common area.

Lounges could increase in size somewhat to accommodate this but maybe a simple reorganisation would allow it already in GC at LHR South for example.

I'm certain I'm missing something (or many things) about who uses them and why, but as someone that uses them for quiet and indeed a bit of food and drink opportunities between flights, I'd not want to see the lounges become that which I am trying to escape in the main departures area (noise, kids running around, adults misbehaving, crowds, etc...which I can see happening quite a bit during some periods of the year with family holidays (when indeed some people have to travel for work or even travel for pleasure to ski or find some sun but don't want the departures area in the lounge...)

Might not be always true (that families and kids are equal to noise, overcrowding and face timing, bad behaviour, as we all know that many adults do it too, however I do see increasing amounts of people feeling the need to face time Grandma at full chat while in the lounge to show them that little Suzy is indeed okay and just fed at 0700, or someone's kids running around trying to burn off some energy and boredom when I've not had my first cup of coffee yet and simply trying to avoid humanity!

Anyway, point being, flying has evolved since it started and increased dramatically in popularity, why lounges haven't when plane types, cabin types and holiday types have is a mystery to me...maybe theme lounges (quiet, family, business, whatever...) or some other segmentation is needed going forward to allow the increasing demand from status pax wanting to bring in family when they travel in lower classes of cabin?

Safe travels, hope this is not the usual whinge, rather a different perspective and hopefully a way to assist the OP but also appease some of the rest of us at the same time as well...
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Its a stupid rule no doubt about it.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:10 pm

It is understandable to wish the line be drawn just where we want it.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver,
The issue comes when someone has 3 plus children where do you draw the line? On the face of it being allowed to guest two children to the lounge during school holiday sounds great but do step children count what about adopted or fostered children it becomes really messy and in todays world it is just asking for trouble. Leave the rules as they are. There are plenty of restaurants at Heathrow where you can have drinks and something to eat pre flight without having to fork out for a Club ticket.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I totally understand the OP but the lounges are bursting at the seams as they are.

Better policing of bags on seats, people spreading out might alleviate this and then allow GCH to guest more than 1 person...
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:07 pm

Don't they already do a "Once per year" during the Christmas period?

As a frequent victim of not being able to find a seat in the Flounge I'm dead set against the relaxation of any rule that would make it even more difficult. Perhaps a Priority Pass membership would help you out, you can pay to get guests in and some credit cards provide Priority Pass lounge access that includes two guests.
PUCCI GALORE and Sealink like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:01 am
R2

AY's top tier members (=oneworld emerald) are allowed to bring in a guest and an unlimited number of the member's own underage kids in AY lounges at HEL when travelling on the same flight.
Flying Lawyer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Sealink
I totally understand the OP but the lounges are bursting at the seams as they are.

Better policing of bags on seats, people spreading out might alleviate this and then allow GCH to guest more than 1 person...
Then maybe would be better to enlarge/increase the lounges instead?

I don't completely understand the bags on seats point. If there are no seats available for people then should be natural to ask for the bag to be moved, by direct or lounge staff request.
And I also would be ok for a "family voucher" one or two time a year. I'm not traveling that frequently, but during holidays, when I suppose the family travel is higher, I don't remember lounges so full you can't go in, nor discussion here about it.

On the other side, when I fly A* alone with the two kids of course I would like to be able to guest both, but since the rules say I cannot, well... I know I can't and that's it.
On OW no problem, they have lounge access by themselves, but I can't justify to double the flight price, in Y shorthaul moreover, just for being able to use a lounge all together.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:18 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Assuming you have the following travelling

Parent 1 GCH
Parent 2 no status
2 Children under 12

A sensible policy would be for children under 12 to be allowed access when travelling with a GCH on the same booking who is guesting in the other parent.

I'm sure it would also help to reduce some of the stress levels of those travelling with children.

Last edited by McG; Mar 31, 2019 at 2:25 am Reason: Additional info
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
As for noisy kids I will take that over overloud look at me I'm important business person on a important call that the recipient doesn't need a phone to hear wherever they are in the world, and how dare you ask me to move my bags and coat so I can sit down type. as I said upthread I would see allowing extra guest as a marketing ploy to woo away from the LCC's. Yes the Flounge gets full and Jlounges are worse but at a quite time once or twice a year it would be nice, and it could be logged against your BAEC account so it's not abused. and I'm sorry to say the Plaza Premium Lounge T5 on my last visit was nice and quite which is more that I can say about the Flounge in my last few visits.
John
Colnic2011 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.