Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice on compensation for cancelled flight and poor experience in First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I’m looking for some advice around what I can expect in compensation from BA. This is not EC261/2004 related, so I didn’t post in that thread.

BA0287 LHR-SFO on March 29th was cancelled on the morning and all PAX had to be re-routed. I was booked in a revenue First ticket (A). I managed to re-route through LAX before arriving at SFO 2 hours late, hence no EC261/2004 compensation.

What would I expect in compensation from this flight? My other issues were:
  • I had to fly three hours earlier than expected, changing my work plans.
  • Flying First I wanted to enjoy the experience. I didn’t have time to use the Concorde room or my pre-booked Elemis appointment.
  • I was technically downgraded, as my short US domestic flight was in J. Long-haul was still F. Does this effect compensation?
  • I had massive issues on the Gold line rebooking, being bounced between 4 operators. The Gold line was busy and after around 5 minutes a non-Gold representative would answer. After providing my executive card number they would redirect me to the Gold line. This looped 3 times.
  • I was denied use of a lounge at LAX, as I was re-routed through United on the domestic leg. I was told by BA I would have a lounge available to be able to work.
  • There was IFE troubles on my flight. However, the crew recommend I raise my issues together rather than report the IFE on the iPad.

All in all this was not a very First class experience. The whole day was very stressful and I feel very let down by BA. What reasonable expectation should I have for compensation and what method would you advise to get there? Would there be a partial refund or Avios offered in this situation?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by startup_salary_servant
I’m looking for some advice around what I can expect in compensation from BA. This is not EC261/2004 related, so I didn’t post in that thread.

BA0287 LHR-SFO on March 29th was cancelled on the morning and all PAX had to be re-routed. I was booked in a revenue First ticket (A). I managed to re-route through LAX before arriving at SFO 2 hours late, hence no EC261/2004 compensation.

What would I expect in compensation from this flight? My other issues were:
  • I had to fly three hours earlier than expected, changing my work plans.
  • Flying First I wanted to enjoy the experience. I didn’t have time to use the Concorde room or my pre-booked Elemis appointment.
  • I was technically downgraded, as my short US domestic flight was in J. Long-haul was still F. Does this effect compensation?
  • I had massive issues on the Gold line rebooking, being bounced between 4 operators. The Gold line was busy and after around 5 minutes a non-Gold representative would answer. After providing my executive card number they would redirect me to the Gold line. This looped 3 times.
  • I was denied use of a lounge at LAX, as I was re-routed through United on the domestic leg. I was told by BA I would have a lounge available to be able to work.
  • There was IFE troubles on my flight. However, the crew recommend I raise my issues together rather than report the IFE on the iPad.

All in all this was not a very First class experience. The whole day was very stressful and I feel very let down by BA. What reasonable expectation should I have for compensation and what method would you advise to get there? Would there be a partial refund or Avios offered in this situation?
If you had to leave 3 hours earlier due to the cancellation and reroute, EC261 still applies.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Looking at my actual flight times: Original was 14:55 and I took a 12:30 flight. Would that still mean EC261 applies?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at my actual flight times: Original was 14:55 and I took a 12:30 flight. Would that still mean EC261 applies?
Yes If you had to depart more than 1 hour earlier then you are entitled to EUR600 compensation ; EUR300 since you arrived at destination within 4 hours of originally scheduled time
You were not downgraded on the US flight since AA calls it 1st class regardless of the booking class used

I would address the IFE issue separately and you might get some points credited for that
fatmac70 likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 29, 2019 at 8:23 pm
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
[*]I had to fly three hours earlier than expected, changing my work plans.
That gets you 300€, see the main EC261 thread in the Dashboard for details.

[*]Flying First I wanted to enjoy the experience. I didn’t have time to use the Concorde room or my pre-booked Elemis appointment.
That would be a customer service gesture area, typically 5 to 10k Avios, it's your value judgement as to whether that is appropriate, the underpinning legal protection here would be the Consumer Rights Act (see Dashboard) but it's largely untested in this area.

[*]I was technically downgraded, as my short US domestic flight was in J. Long-haul was still F. Does this effect compensation?
Yes, you can claim EC261 for this too, using the Mennens calculation, see the relevant thread in the Dashboard. I suspect it would be an extremely low sum of money, which you can do a rough calculation for yourself, and it may take a long time for a precise calculation. It may be more expedient to shore up any Avios gesture instead. Moreover with the added TPs (don't forget to claim) it may not be the end of the world. [And as Dave Noble points out, it's debatable if it is a downgrade if marketed as First]

[*]I had massive issues on the Gold line rebooking, being bounced between 4 operators. The Gold line was busy and after around 5 minutes a non-Gold representative would answer. After providing my executive card number they would redirect me to the Gold line. This looped 3 times.
You should have called YouFirst (the number is in your booking) but annoying though it is, it's best not to dwell on this. BA staff get this hassle on internal calls too!

[*]I was denied use of a lounge at LAX, as I was re-routed through United on the domestic leg. I was told by BA I would have a lounge available to be able to work.
Customer Relations gesture again, you were wrongly advised there, unless they had arranged for you to use the TBIT lounge, somewhat poorly located for United.

[*]There was IFE troubles on my flight. However, the crew recommend I raise my issues together rather than report the IFE on the iPad.
Customer relations gesture again, personally I think it's best to get iPad gestures when you can rather than leave it, but there's no right/wrong about that.
I'd be tempted to do a short CR message - similar to this bullet list but focusing on CR aspects only, a brief second paragraph with why this ain't a First experience/telephone hassle. Send it via YouFirst then call Customer Relations about a week later in the UK afternoon office hours.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You were not downgraded on the US flight since AA calls it 1st class regardless of the booking class used
But it's domestic first, rather than international first, and AA is explicit about them being different. It might be the highest class of service *available* on a given route, but that simply explains why it was necessary to downgrade the OP. There was no way of giving him what he had purchased.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cauchy
But it's domestic first, rather than international first, and AA is explicit about them being different. It might be the highest class of service *available* on a given route, but that simply explains why it was necessary to downgrade the OP. There was no way of giving him what he had purchased.
It is still 1st class , so he wasn't downgraded.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is still 1st class , so he wasn't downgraded.

It is business tier points though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.