Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA PE worth the cash upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Is BA PE worth the cash upgrade?

So my partner and I are flying red eye to LGW on a Tuesday (BA2272) evening at the end of August and back from LHR on the following Tuesday (BA113) at the beginning of September from JFK.

Logged in and saw a deal to upgrade to WTP on MMB for ~$150/each on the red eye to LGW. Figured that’s worth the extra space and potential for some shut eye.

Return is $320/each and considering the fact I still can’t choose a seat after upgrading I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra cash? What would you value the WTP? None of the seat maps seem to indicate either cabins are the new 52 seat WTP config.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Depends. Mine is PE no more than £1200 return. But thats a personal thing.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Fiberwalker
So my partner and I are flying red eye to LGW on a Tuesday (BA2272) evening at the end of August and back from LHR on the following Tuesday (BA113) at the beginning of September from JFK.

Logged in and saw a deal to upgrade to WTP on MMB for ~$150/each on the red eye to LGW. Figured that’s worth the extra space and potential for some shut eye.

Return is $320/each and considering the fact I still can’t choose a seat after upgrading I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra cash? What would you value the WTP? None of the seat maps seem to indicate either cabins are the new 52 seat WTP config.
$150 for wtp upgrade is a bargain especially on a red eye unless your in an exit row already. Also a good chance of an upgrade to club from wtp. A good price
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These threads are always impossible to answer. If the money would otherwise be used to buy food for your children, you should not upgrade. If it is what you drop at a bar after work on a regular basis, it is worth it.
Nephoi, Fraser, ijkh and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

I guess the question is how much do you value WTP? Does it depend on the planes configuration or is it usually a good option regardless of the cabin configuration?

I’m obviously not hurting for cash - this isn’t a food for my family or WTP question. This is a “if you had $750 extra would you spend it on one direction WTP upgrade for two or save it for another transatlantic basic economy flight next year”. Does the WTP cabin really distinguish itself that much?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Fiberwalker
I’m obviously not hurting for cash - this isn’t a food for my family or WTP question. This is a “if you had $750 extra would you spend it on one direction WTP upgrade for two or save it for another transatlantic basic economy flight next year”. Does the WTP cabin really distinguish itself that much?
That clarification helps, but not by a huge amount. A friend of mine asked me whether he should spend $750 approx on installing heated seats as an option to his car. This is something that has no value to me at all, but he suffers from a bad back and where we live it can get to -20c in winter (or at least in those years when there is a winter). So asking me without that background information I would say "don't bother with that ornamentation, save it for the next car", but with that background it would probably be worth every penny to him. This is all subjective value judgement stuff, and that's why you see such a variety of cars on the road, and a variety of options when flying.

Essentially you get a bigger and better seat, better food and drink, more power options, more baggage allowance and space for luggage, a quieter cabin and in the case of BA better frequent flyer credits. There are some other minor bits and pieces which you may or may not value. Over to you to value that but if you are over 6ft 2 inches tall then you know the answer.

Welcome to Flyertalk Fiberwalker, welcome to the BA forum, and I hope that we will see more of you in the future. I hope you have a good flight.
nancypants, HGOLI, LPQ and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
I find it much easier to sleep in WTP than WT. A day flight in Y with a leg room seat is perfectly manageable however for an overnight, I find the recline and the footrest in W really helps.

For $150 I would absolutely jump at the chance of the upgrade.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:35 pm

Not worth it at all. Just take a sleeping tablet or some nytol and you won’t know any difference
roy2016 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
As has been mentioned PE may be worth it to you but only you can know. For the short hop to the UK I value the extra leg room and space for sleeping in PE, but I did equally as well sleeping when cuddling Ms IntVic in rear 2 window seats of a 747 (I think it was). Where PE also offers good value for me is TPs. I have been able to maintain Silver/Sapphire status easily and cheaply for 8 years since joining BAEC. Lounge access home and abroad is great.
abersoch3254 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Yes if you need TPs. Long haul WTP gets 90 each way compared to 20 on WT (unless in flex - 35)
rockflyertalk and tmac100 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
I'd take it on the outbound, but not on the return.

I often fly TATL from LON, and go WT out, WT+ return, cash fare, An over night TATL will be slightly more comfortable in the nicer cabin.
PETER01 and tmac100 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Even if it's an LGW 777, for $150 it is probably worth it. I have paid similar coming back on overnights before and not regretted it, and I would guess I am not exactly the highest paid FT member...

On a day flight I would only bother if you need to work. WTP back from Tokyo to London was well worth it for the office space (although having an empty seat next to me helped). Many hours on a laptop is far better in WTP than in WT.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Personally, I think WTP is better than WT but I don't think it is worth the extra but it is such a personal thing that it is impossible to advise. The seat definitely has more room but the armrests don't flip up so if you have an empty seat next to you you cannot spread out in the same way. As for better food... that I disagree with. My last JFK - LHR in WTP (2 weeks ago) had appallingly bad food IMO (I couldn't eat it), yet the guy sitting next to me seemed to really enjoy it! See my blog (link in signature) for a report.

In my opinion, I'd buy WTP to allow for a potential upgrade using Avios or OpUp or for the better seat on an overnight flight... not for the food.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC
At that price that’s one of the cheapest I have seen on here and my own bookings to JFK.

As there it’s just two of you, then having 2 seats together without anyone else (i.e A & B or J & K) is quite a nice place to be as a couple if you value personal space, like I do. For the space for stretching out and having a wee bit more room overall is very much worth this price you’re being quoted. Obviously this is dependent on whether these seats are available.

As its a relatively short flight then again being able to rest a bit more comfortably, this may help whatever your plans are the end of the flight.

If you can easily cope with WT and want to still have the $320 to spend elsewhere or save for a rainy day then so be it.

Like most here have and will say it really is a tricky one to answer, it’s certainly not binary and is very much only a question you and your partner can decide on.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:28 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
At the price you have been quoted I would try it.
Then you will be able to make better decisions in the future.
Personally I'm a fan of BA PE and would pay 150% of economy for sure.

Last edited by DeathSlam; Mar 30, 2019 at 7:33 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.