Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Compensation claim being denied - 2 people on 1 claim

Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AMEX Platinum

Was on a flight a couple of weeks back that got diverted from LCY to SEN. We were given the compensation letter with an up-to-£50 recompsense and the stewardess even suggested that colleagues share a taxi. Myself and a colleague did this to get to our meeting. I paid this (don't have an issue with the amount over £100) but I submitted the claim for both of us (just for simplicity; I had the receipt for it since I paid) with his written authorisation.

BA have came back offering £50, I've asked for 2x£50 since it's for 2 people. The latest feedback this morning is that they won't offer more. What are my rights for this? If my colleague had raised the claim himself then I doubt there would have been any issue and they'd have just accepted it, but it seems to be punishing me for raising the claim for both of us.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The £50 limit is a BA limit. The same their £200 for hotels.

But there is no such limit as part of EU261 and I think it is shameful BA aren't meeting their obligations.

As to what to do I would send them a note saying 'cough up or I'll take you to MCOL for a judge to decide'
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Can I check whether you did this all by webform? If so, it may be worth a telephone call, perhaps with the ability to patch your colleague into the call. Customer Relations is available for calls during the UK afternoons, Monday to Friday. Otherwise it's CEDR or MCOL, and in which ask BA to send you a "our answer won't change" email.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've found it to be absolutely pointless making a claim for anyone else through the webform as they'll only ever give the compensation to me. The other passenger has, however, always got compensation when they've then submitted their own claim. Annoyingly, having tried originally to claim for us both, I got awarded 10,000 Avios for some issues in First and my friend then got 12,000 for eventually complaining about the exact same issues, so don't expect much consistency.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AMEX Platinum
Thanks all, it was all done through the webform. In my original submission I stated I was claiming for 2, in their initial response, they asked for a signed scanned authorisation for my colleague so I could pursue the claim for him as well, so they know it's for 2, so it's strange they'd try and back out (esp. as some have said, if we'd just have done 2 seperate claims they'd have no issues really!)

I'll see what they come back with from my latest response, but will take the suggestion of others and try and call them to discuss it.

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that you need to jump into MCOL over this. Rather, I would make a call. It is more than likely that the low-level clerical reviewing the webform did not read anything other than verify that there is a receipt and then pay out the 50. If necessary, I suppose that BA could require that your colleague submit a claim and, if he wishes, pay it over to you. But, that seems unlikely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.