Is this as Good as Club Europe?

Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Maybe only once a day, but nevertheless their network is quite amazing.
And that's the thing. Once a day is once more than BA for us that are not near London.

EasyJet / Ryanair / Jet2 are great for us northerners that can't be fussed with changing planes. Pay for EasyJet plus and you get priority boarding, extra cabin bag and free seats selection anywhere on the plane. Get near the front and you've got a drink 10-15 minutes after wheels up (sometimes sooner if the weather is good).
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:57 am

I am looking at the photo of the 2 paper cups with coffee spill on the cover and my immediate thought was:

No, it isn’t as good as Club Europe.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is this as Good as Club Europe?

You have the same sense of humour as the O'Leary man I see.

All my Ryanair flights have been on time and cost next to nothing. Getting to/from PIK was a bit of nuisance right enough.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Based in the West Country there is no BA option and BRS is well served by U2 and FR. I would almost always choose FR over U2 and certainly they offer excellent value. Between the 15th December and the 23rd December I flew them BRS - MLA - NUE - BGY. The total of the 3 flights - each with priority boarding, 2 in cabin bags and pre-selected seating was just under £100.00. Every flight was on time, crew always friendly, BOB service efficient - there was absolutely nothing I could complain about. I agree with the comments above though that your expectations of an LLC are lower than a "full service" one. With a DragonPass in hand I didn't even miss out on lounge access anywhere either!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
I am looking at the photo of the 2 paper cups with coffee spill on the cover and my immediate thought was:

No, it isn’t as good as Club Europe.
but the coffee was hot and freshly brewed and tasted good! :-) Not the BA stew from the pot!

Interesting observations all
(Agree I was lucky with all the stars sligned on my flight )

I have the return from Shannon on Sunday so I will see how that pans out
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I rather agree with the OP. FR can be just as good as BA - or, to put it another way, BA can be just as bad as FR. It's a bit of a stretch comparing it to CE (although an admirable attempt!), but it's a totally fair comparison with WT. There's no legroom on either carrier, no sustenance and no real difference for normal operations. That's why FR is eating BA's shorthaul lunch.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Last I heard, Ryanair carried the most passengers in Europe. Ahead of Lufthansa and IAG.
So they must be doing something right, somewhere.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FR are fine though I don’t hugely enjoy the experience. EasyJet however are excellent and I have no hesitation in booking them in preference to BA if more convenient or better priced.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
We got stuck in the STN meltdown last Summer - a shortage of baggage handlers so we boarded a plane three hours after it arrived to see the previous bags being unloaded (was meant to be a normal turn around). We were the lucky ones - the following flight to OSL was cancelled and there is no way FR could rearrange that, those people were not getting to Norway.

Twitter team were busy blaming a thunderstorm the night before (I can only assume the baggage handling company had a team building golf tournament in the dark), but surprisingly compo was paid without quibble.

I’ve grown out of weekend city breaks - and swore off Ryanair at the time - but I can’t imagine connecting in Europe if there’s a direct option, so the next time I need to get from one end of an exclusive FR route to the other will be the test.

Go go in with the right expectations, for a trip that isn’t the end of the world if it falls through, and they’re fine.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by mikem004
Last I heard, Ryanair carried the most passengers in Europe. Ahead of Lufthansa and IAG.
So they must be doing something right, somewhere.
Advertising

I think FR is great for young people with a lot of time to spare or people with no problems to self re-arrange flights if (when?) cancellations happen.
And no, I don't think their priority/plus stuff is good as CE
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.

Have to report

Return the same ; spare seat, on time, no delays and even had pizza !
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Depends what you want. I use FR as they fly from BHX but I don’t agree it’s on a par with CE (though the gap is closing):-

​​​​​​— CE has generally decent catering served on proper china / glassware with metal cutlery.
- CE has separate check in (normally) and lounge access.
- Jackets are (usually) hung in CE (though less and less).
- More personalised service in CE in a more refined environment than ET!

As I say, I do feel it’s going downhill - recent LIS trip was probably CE at its worst with a pretty frosty CSM on the way back, crap LIS lounge, drinks and food all served together, no offer to hang jacket, and generally just general CBA service. I was left wondering why I still bother with CE - but on a ‘normal’ day it is better than this even with densification and, sorry to say it, *some* inexperienced MF crew who don’t know (or don’t care) about how premium service should be delivered.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Haven't had a crinkle cut chip since the 1970's.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Depends what you want. I use FR as they fly from BHX but I don’t agree it’s on a par with CE (though the gap is closing):-

​​​​​​— CE has generally decent catering served on proper china / glassware with metal cutlery.
- CE has separate check in (normally) and lounge access.
- Jackets are (usually) hung in CE (though less and less).
- More personalised service in CE in a more refined environment than ET!

As I say, I do feel it’s going downhill - recent LIS trip was probably CE at its worst with a pretty frosty CSM on the way back, crap LIS lounge, drinks and food all served together, no offer to hang jacket, and generally just general CBA service. I was left wondering why I still bother with CE - but on a ‘normal’ day it is better than this even with densification and, sorry to say it, *some* inexperienced MF crew who don’t know (or don’t care) about how premium service should be delivered.
Oh dear! Alas that is all rather poor. I did notice the other day going to GIB that with the BOB on BA it actually took them 30 minutes to do 4 rows in ET. Today, excellent crew working hard, CSD even had time for a wee chat and popped up to my exit seat for a word despite a relatively full load. It's the usual with BA, consistency lacking. You really just never know what you will get.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.