Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2019 World Airport Survey : LHR T5 voted World’s Best Terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 World Airport Survey : LHR T5 voted World’s Best Terminal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
Changi I'm sure would be No1 if they got rid of the awful carpet
Originally Posted by aristoph

That carpet is truly awful! Getting off a 13 hour flight with jet lag it made me feel completely disoriented!
I can assure you than even without jet lag that carpet is dire. It's clean of course, but the combination if its design, texture, colour, the unwelcoming lighting, low roof and odd humidity just makes it incredibly disconcerting. I'm always pleased to get out of the main drag into a lounge or the aircraft. The long distances between gates isn't an advantage either. SIN is nevertheless amazingly efficient, has a stellar list of airlines and destinations, and everything connected such as public transport, taxis, hotels just slots in nearly perfectly.

Having said that, quite apart from the sheer subjectiveness of these surveys, in the real world I can't see anyone making much use of this. If you are going from London to Singapore you essentially have 2 main options and a few options if connecting enroute, but you mostly you'll be starting from LHR and mostly you'll be ending at SIN. Is someone really going to dive around via LGW-HKG-KUL-land route just because of a survey like this?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Years since I've been in SIN but I clearly remember feeling claustrophobic during my short time there.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Wait till this kicks in (pencilled in for mid-May) and you may change your tune...
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...more-countries

It will also include Singapore and South Korea.

All those travellers who have never flown before completely unable to figure out which way up to put their passport into the reader. It's going to be awesome.
You do know that most of the countries on that list, if not all, offer similar systems for their citizens at immigration, so they are not more likely to be confused than any British travellers.
ijkh and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You do know that most of the countries on that list, if not all, offer similar systems for their citizens at immigration, so they are not more likely to be confused than any British travellers.
"All those travellers who've never flown before"

If you've never flown before, how would you know what system your country has?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
"All those travellers who've never flown before"

If you've never flown before, how would you know what system your country has?
How do they get from Seoul or Singapore to Heathrow without ever flying?

I am not particularly worried about a lot of these countries they are pretty frequent and tech savy travellers, and since half of the lanes seem to be closed every time I walk through, there are room for expanding capacity anyway....
​​​​​​
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
It must depend on the time of day you arrive.

I flew into T5 on BA16 a couple of years ago. I had mobility assistance booked for a family member. The BA crew were great, helping us to the terminal end of the air bridge. No-one turned up to assist though. I could have managed with just a wheel chair. I asked about half a dozen people how to contact someone at the airport. All any of them would say is that it wasn't their job. Apparently the mobility assistance people don't start until 07:00 hrs even though our plane arrived at around 05:30.

If that's indicative of their level of service, and given that the report says that this is the 6th time they've been number 1, I'd hate to be going through any other terminals or airports!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
How do they get from Seoul or Singapore to Heathrow without ever flying?

I am not particularly worried about a lot of these countries they are pretty frequent and tech savy travellers, and since half of the lanes seem to be closed every time I walk through, there are room for expanding capacity anyway....
​​​​​​
I'll agree to disagree. Yes, those countries are pretty savvy generally but that doesn't mean all travellers are. All too often I see sensible people switch off and become complete idiots when they enter an airport. Holiday brain, I believe it's called.

There's a huge knock on impact of moving all eligible people out of the non-EEA queue into what is currently the EEA queue. Brits already complain bitterly about a 5 minute queue even though they haven't figured out that they don't have to stand four deep behind an occupied gate - they can walk up to any unoccupied green gate. The helpers aren't exactly proactive in shepherding people towards free gates as the queues aren't breaching the SLA
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
skytrax - nuff said
T5 isn’t bad but it feels crowded. T2 feels better and is in line with MUC/HKG.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll agree to disagree. Yes, those countries are pretty savvy generally but that doesn't mean all travellers are. All too often I see sensible people switch off and become complete idiots when they enter an airport. Holiday brain, I believe it's called.

There's a huge knock on impact of moving all eligible people out of the non-EEA queue into what is currently the EEA queue. Brits already complain bitterly about a 5 minute queue even though they haven't figured out that they don't have to stand four deep behind an occupied gate - they can walk up to any unoccupied green gate. The helpers aren't exactly proactive in shepherding people towards free gates as the queues aren't breaching the SLA
​​​​​​I don't think I have ever seen the full row in use, so there does seem to be capacity for getting more people through per time unit.

I think it might be human nature to stay with the flock rather than go alone When I came through Friday evening the first 6 lines has massive queues, the ones at the other end, maybe only 2 or 3 people waiting for each.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101
Probably the same people who vote on those 'how was your security experience today' buttons. The staff.
I vote on those buttons, and I’m not staff. It takes basically zero time, and could possibly improve my experience in the future.

That said, I do see why staff might have reason to vote on those buttons—they might have benefits tied to the results. I’d struggle to say the same about surveys on the best airports.

Changi should start by getting rid of gate based security checks, then the carpets.
Huh. Gate-based security is probably my favourite thing about Changi.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chisquared

Huh. Gate-based security is probably my favourite thing about Changi.
One or two lines to check 300 people in time for boarding. It is perfect for waiting in terribly long lines, or sitting in the gate terribly long waiting for boarding to start. An effective central security point makes these things far better. As clearly demonstrated by the First Wing, one of the good things about T5. Unfortunately, the regular security line in T5 is not the perfect example of central security, there are good and bad examples of most things. I am still waiting for the good gate based security flow though.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
Compared to many other airports around the world, T5 is miles ahead. SIN in just awful. I can’t understand why it gets so many accolades! HKG is lovely, but the distances you have to cover between gates can be ridiculous. Transport links into T5 are excellent and we have a very easy and quick check in area that leads straight through to security with very little walking. Lounges are easily accessible and shopping is excellent. I’ve literally saved thousands of pounds by buying things in T5, rather than on the high street and it’s rare that I find ‘designer’ goods cheaper elsewhere. I also love how compact everything is and how easy gates are to get to. Getting to satellite gates can be a little more painful, admittedly, but the transit is quick and frequent and the tunnels are available for people who prefer to walk. Despite the fact that my passport never works in the e-gates at immigration, I rarely have a delay of more than a few minutes on my return into the country. Overall, I think T5 is excellent and, as someone who travels more than most on here, it would still get my vote for the best airport terminal. I certainly haven’t found one that ticks as many boxes.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I hate the gate security at SIN or any other airport that has it. Makes one feel 'rushed' with everyone eager to get through to the gate.

Not sure why SIN is so highly regarded to be honest. Okay, it has pools and gardens etc, which I admit, I've never had the opportunity to use, but in terms of the core airport functionality, it's just adequate in my eyes.

I really like the T5 security method in that the numbered sections allow multiple passengers to put their items in the trays without feeling like the passenger behind you is in a hurry.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Paren
I really like the T5 security method in that the numbered sections allow multiple passengers to put their items in the trays without feeling like the passenger behind you is in a hurry.
I really dislike security where you can easily have 3 trays, electronics/liquids in one, bulky jacket another, bag the third, and they end up all over the place, making it very difficult to keep an eye on your valuables.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:48 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BearX220
World's best shopping galleria with occasional views of airplanes.
You are not wrong - but the worst if T3 which I do not think has any natural light at all and which (Like Gatwick South is showing its age). I have never used T2 as I never use *A and I've only once used T4 since T5 opened. AF were using the A380 to and from CDG in 2010 (I think). The worst is STN which is really oppressing as you walk literally down Mall to get to the aircraft and then enter the most depressing embarcation camp that calls itself a Lounge.

I don't think that T5 is bad but whoever designed that ridiculous shlep past security down the lift or stairs and across to another escalator to go back up to the Lounges deserves my hairbrush across his knuckles. Thank heaven for the Gold Wing - I'd fight to retain Gold for that perk alone admission to the Lounge bypassing that walk. I might add that Security alone would have me not vote T5 as No 1. I have never seen such a cheerless miserable lot this side of BBC Parliament. Still let us not speak of unpleasant things. Compared with that Soviet style concrete mess that is CDG2 (any). I flew out to DFW from there and wondered if this really could be the birth country of Le Corbusier. What a ghastly unhallowed place that is.Dingy and depressingly clautraphobic - especially if you have a bus to the 787 on a rainy cold grey day. Ugh!
BearX220 and SirToby like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.