Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

2019 World Airport Survey : LHR T5 voted World’s Best Terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 World Airport Survey : LHR T5 voted World’s Best Terminal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I would LOVE it if they had something like that.. or even a Nandos.. the Nandos at gatwick is ALWAYS full.
Nandos is expensive enough outside of an airport. I dread to think what it will be inside.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
One or two lines to check 300 people in time for boarding. It is perfect for waiting in terribly long lines, or sitting in the gate terribly long waiting for boarding to start.
I'll grant that showing up at the wrong time can definitely lead to one of those two outcomes, neither of which is good. I will say that the former holds true for centralised security too. On the other hand, I find that showing up at the gate around the time boarding is scheduled to start (or sometimes even after) gets me through security in no time and leaves me with little to no wait for boarding. I can't say the same for centralised security since it takes a bit more information to figure out when it might be crowded.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Best = Least worst.
Let’s face it if you are schlepping through any sort of transport terminal you face queues, expensive average coffee and souvenir shops. Add a cloud of unpleasant mixes of premium perfumes and you have an airport terminal (well throw in a few aircraft!).
Since T5 is easy to navigate I would consider it to be the least worst even for a novice. In my experience a lot of airports have too many closed in corridors and inadequate signage- not something that T5 is known for.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Nandos is expensive enough outside of an airport. I dread to think what it will be inside.
Same price
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by chisquared
I'll grant that showing up at the wrong time can definitely lead to one of those two outcomes, neither of which is good. I will say that the former holds true for centralised security too. On the other hand, I find that showing up at the gate around the time boarding is scheduled to start (or sometimes even after) gets me through security in no time and leaves me with little to no wait for boarding. I can't say the same for centralised security since it takes a bit more information to figure out when it might be crowded.
Central security is be default not well designed nor well dimensioned for the needs of the airport/terminal. There are good and bad examples. I can only think of two places with gate based security, Singapore and KLIA. And both annoy me beyond reason I have yet to find a good time to go through security.

The fact that T4 in was built with central security, and some of the T3 gates have a semi central check point makes me suspect that the rulers of Changi did realise that the concept is not ideal. I would also imagine the CAPEX position is better with central security.. But I did not count the hardware needs.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
I really dislike security where you can easily have 3 trays, electronics/liquids in one, bulky jacket another, bag the third, and they end up all over the place, making it very difficult to keep an eye on your valuables.
There is a pretty easy resolution for this and one i have found works- all my valuables / laptop bag goes in one tray so that is the one that i have to keep my eye on..
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by bmibaby737

its priced the same.. Compared to the overpriced Gordon Ramseys plane food, £5 sandwiches from Pret and overpriced Giraffe, i would rather spend £10 on a nandos with a drink that will actually fill me than anything else. Even Burger King at Stansted charges £8 for a whopper junior meal.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Compared to many other airports around the world, T5 is miles ahead. SIN in just awful. I can’t understand why it gets so many accolades! HKG is lovely, but the distances you have to cover between gates can be ridiculous. Transport links into T5 are excellent and we have a very easy and quick check in area that leads straight through to security with very little walking. Lounges are easily accessible and shopping is excellent. I’ve literally saved thousands of pounds by buying things in T5, rather than on the high street and it’s rare that I find ‘designer’ goods cheaper elsewhere. I also love how compact everything is and how easy gates are to get to. Getting to satellite gates can be a little more painful, admittedly, but the transit is quick and frequent and the tunnels are available for people who prefer to walk. Despite the fact that my passport never works in the e-gates at immigration, I rarely have a delay of more than a few minutes on my return into the country. Overall, I think T5 is excellent and, as someone who travels more than most on here, it would still get my vote for the best airport terminal. I certainly haven’t found one that ticks as many boxes.
I've only ever had what I'd call a true routine in 5 airports; LHR, MXP, HKG, SIN and HND. HKG was comfortably the best of them, and the only one with nothing that starts to grate on you when you're doing it for the 100th time. I too hate the SIN gate security whilst T5 just has too many bottle necks or weird routings past the shops. If you can use the HKG e-gates you can walk almost uninterrupted through the whole place.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by 1010101; Apr 1, 2019 at 6:00 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
There is a pretty easy resolution for this and one i have found works- all my valuables / laptop bag goes in one tray so that is the one that i have to keep my eye on..
Yes, I do that, putting all the coins any watches, fit bits, etc in an extra liquids bag inside my rucksack.
Your iPad/laptop is still sitting in a separate tray, quite possibly some distance away and easily lifted either accidentally or “accidentally”.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:29 am

nah my laptop bag sits in the same tray.. liquids / ipads dont need to be in a separate tray.. just out of the bags.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
nah my laptop bag sits in the same tray.. liquids / ipads dont need to be in a separate tray.. just out of the bags.
Not at the friendly, courteous Edinburgh security it’s not.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp

Yes, I do that, putting all the coins any watches, fit bits, etc in an extra liquids bag inside my rucksack.
Your iPad/laptop is still sitting in a separate tray, quite possibly some distance away and easily lifted either accidentally or “accidentally”.
This is OT - but I have long wondered who would be responsible in the case of someone - maybe in all innocence - making off with your things. I have been assured at North Terminal at Gatwick that the place is festooned with CCTV. That said, I am always leery at letting my possessions out of my immediate control. At least at Gold Wing that risk is reduced.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Who voted? Probably not incoming passengers waiting to clear BF.
I would not have expected anything different from Skytrax. If you had raised the same question in Hong Kong the answer would probably have been Singapore, Hong Kong and London. If you had raised it in Australia you would have heard Sydney, Singapore and Hong Kong. My serious question however is, what made Baku being at 10th place.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: Cunard Platinum, SQ * Silver.
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
MUC T1 without a doubt has really got bad. I do like MUC T2 though
MUC T1 is so crap (long queues, not much to do airside) I fly LH to MUC rather than BA.

I quite like MUC T2.

Talking about BA, I actually prefer T2 to T5. T5 is OK though. I have a soft spot for the LHR terminals, although calling T5 the best in the world is stretching things a little maybe.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
My serious question however is, what made Baku being at 10th place.
Does look rather nice I have to say. Seems to be more staff than passengers!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.