FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Transferring BA Holiday deposit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1962971-transferring-ba-holiday-deposit.html)

TJW19 Mar 28, 2019 10:42 am

Transferring BA Holiday deposit

Hi,

New to the forum here but feel my post may provoke some interest responses... Does anyone have experience in trying to see what BA Holidays will do when having to cancel a 'Holiday' booking (Flight+Hotel) which is for late November 2019 when all that has been paid to date is the £300.00 deposit?

The reason for needing to cancel or move booking is that we've found out my Wife is now pregnant and pending everything goes well during the pregnancy is due around the same time of the holiday booking. So I highly doubt we will be able to make it.

Does anyone have any experience of BA being a little flexible in terms of transferring the deposit amount to an alternative booking or adjusting this booking so much so it's to a new destination and date, I'm thinking perhaps a baby-moon in the summer or alternatively a holiday in early 2020.

We are a loyal BAEC member with six figure points but I doubt that has any bearing on their decisions?!

Thanks,
TJ

GWZM2804 Mar 28, 2019 11:45 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but based on my experience you have no hope. I had to cancel two BA Holidays over the last 2 years or so for entirely different reasons and BA were firm but polite, no refunds or transfers. In one case it was £300 like you and in another city break it was less. I am BAEC Bronze and it makes no difference, well not in my case anyway.

rolandrat Mar 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Yeah, dont stand a chance, so you would be better off leaving it and saying nothing and the slim chance they make a change that could give you a reason to cancel which then means they would have to refund the deposit.

notakeenflyer Mar 28, 2019 12:13 pm

That's all the bad news, but congratulations anyway! You could try your travel insurance, as I know mine (with Nationwide account) has a £10 excess on loss of deposit claims. Would depend on timings, i.e. will your wife be very pregnant on the planned date, or have a new born baby? One is probably insured, the other may not be.

Worth checking, otherwise maybe hold out as per suggestion above.

rolandrat Mar 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Actually, just thinking about transferring, is it a Zika prevalent country you planned to go to, as we had a holiday couple of years ago to Mexico and that was postponed for a year as my daughter was in the group booking and became pregnant, wasnt BA, but was a package company, all we needed was a Doctors letter and they sorted the rest.

tynmar Mar 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Two options I can suggest from my own experience

1) as others have said, try the travel insurance option.
(although I find all insurance a con and they always seem to weasel out of paying out)

2) explain the situation to BA on a phone call and move the dates to 2020 for that baby moon. They will probably allow duration changes along with new dates. Once +1 arrives simply call again and add them as a lap infant. Beats losing the deposit :)
small snag the hotel price may change as will the flights so maybe look at the low fare finder for the cheapest flights and go from there.

and of course congrats on the baby news ^

AlanA Mar 29, 2019 3:46 am

No refund for self inflicted issues :D :D :D

snaxmuppet Mar 29, 2019 3:54 am

I had a BA Holidays trip booked with a £300 deposit and last week we decided to cancel that holiday and book a different one. As the new holiday was a higher value than the original one I thought there might be a chance that we could transfer the deposit. Unfortunately, after much discussion with the telephone agent I had to accept that BA Holidays deposits are NOT transferable.

Funky Spike Mar 29, 2019 4:16 am

When The Current Ex-Mrs Spike was due to start chemo around the time we were supposed to be taking a BA holiday we were at first offered the chance to transfer the amount paid to a future booking. I know a pregnancy and chemotherapy are not the same things but a bit of pleading your case may help.
After the initial offer to carry the deposit on to another booking I reached out to BA via Twatter and ended up getting a full refund.

Spike

mikeyfly Mar 29, 2019 4:26 am

Welcome to Flyertalk TJW19

I think you will lose the £300. However, it's better than having paid in full and potentially losing the lot

snaxmuppet Mar 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Funky Spike (Post 30942098)
When The Current Ex-Mrs Spike was due to start chemo around the time we were supposed to be taking a BA holiday we were at first offered the chance to transfer the amount paid to a future booking. I know a pregnancy and chemotherapy are not the same things but a bit of pleading your case may help.
After the initial offer to carry the deposit on to another booking I reached out to BA via Twatter and ended up getting a full refund.

Spike

Sorry to hear about chemo. :( Extenuating or special circumstances so I am please, and not too surprised, that you got a refund. I hope they continue to do that. Could pregnancy be considered in the same way? I would be surprised, pregnancy is not an illness!

Takiteasy Mar 29, 2019 12:48 pm

Congrats! Just think that 300 you stand to lose is nothing compared to the next 20+ years of food and school fees 😊

ShadowCaptain Mar 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Last year I had a deposit paid to a friends wedding in Antigua. A few months to go and the wedding was changed to the UK due to the brides fathers health. I called the contact centre and explained and they let me transfer my deposit, we ended up doing a long weekend break in Europe for value of the deposit paid.