HBO pax break the overhead locker

Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by MrsW
I’ve seen it all now. Travelling to BCN on a busy flight. Received text and email asking me to check baggage. 15 bags are taken at the gate but still there is insufficient space. One passenger crams his bag into the already full locker and forces the door shut. The door breaks and we are delayed while an engineer is called. Engineer can’t fix it, so the broken door is removed and all the bags are taken out. Further delay while the crew deal with the bags!
How do you know they were HBO PAX?
cosmo74 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BA
I do wish on HBO you could check in your bag (permitting it is HBO regulations) free of charge on all flights. I'd much rather take my usual shampoo and soap bottles rather than decanting it into 100ml bottles. Larger bags I'm fine to pay for.

If this were allowed on all flights, I'd check in my little hang luggage 9 times out of 10. Admittedly, I would take a little laptop bag for electronics and essentials, but this can easily go under the seat in front.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by MikkelErikson
I do wish on HBO you could check in your bag (permitting it is HBO regulations) free of charge on all flights. I'd much rather take my usual shampoo and soap bottles rather than decanting it into 100ml bottles.
I suspect that would defeat the object of offering HBO fares.

You could always buy a non-HBO fare or pay for baggage on HBO fare, which will allow you to bring your usual shampoo and soap bottles.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

You could always buy a non-HBO fare or pay for baggage on HBO fare, which will allow you to bring your usual shampoo and soap bottles.
I was more meaning if you could check in a small HB that fits the weight and dimensions of HB then I would check mine in for free. I'm happy to voluntarily not fill the overhead lockers, freeing space for others who want their bag above them, but i'm not going to pay to be convenient for others.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by MikkelErikson
I do wish on HBO you could check in your bag (permitting it is HBO regulations) free of charge on all flights. I'd much rather take my usual shampoo and soap bottles rather than decanting it into 100ml bottles. Larger bags I'm fine to pay for.

If this were allowed on all flights, I'd check in my little hang luggage 9 times out of 10. Admittedly, I would take a little laptop bag for electronics and essentials, but this can easily go under the seat in front.
I have been able to do this on 4 out of my 5 recent HBO fare short haul ET flights. I do not mind checking it in as these days it is so fast at the end anyway and means that I do not have to bother carrying it to the lounge with me and taking up more space there!
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

You can do this at Heathrow, Gatwick and all UK locations regardless of if the flight is busy or not. The problem would be at out stations when it is dependent on getting thst ‘your flight is full email’
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
The problem would be at out stations when it is dependent on getting thst ‘your flight is full email’
Coming back from ZRH a few weeks ago I didn’t get the email or a text but went to the check in desk and they were happy to do it for free.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
On some of the American budget airlines it’s now cheaper to check the bag rather than bring a carry on. Blaming the passengers is unfair, they are simply reacting to the incentives the airlines give them. HBO fares, slow checked bag delivery times, and a focus on budget (checked bag is seen as premium) all provide the incentive to bring big carry-ons.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

You can do this at Heathrow, Gatwick and all UK locations regardless of if the flight is busy or not. The problem would be at out stations when it is dependent on getting thst ‘your flight is full email’
This is not consistently the case. I tried and failed to check a bag at LCY on an HBO fare despite the fact that OLCI showed (wrongly) a baggage allowance against it due to Gold status.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
All the beach bags, floppy hats, duty free bag, extra pillows and what not that some leisure travellers seems to be burdened with are rather squishy and flexible, and can usually quite quickly be flexed in to remaining space. But as you point out, by the time they board most space is gone, taken by fridge sized roller bags with carry on sized laptop bags that a lot of business travellers seem to think it is OK to bring, and airlines seem to do little to regulate.

The "I am top tier elite, I fly several times a week and I know my bag fits in the overhead locker" tantrum is not rare. Leisure travellers are much more likely to simply hand over their bags when gate staff tells them it is too big to fly in the cabin.
​​​​

​​​
Originally Posted by Cheapskate22
On some of the American budget airlines it’s now cheaper to check the bag rather than bring a carry on. Blaming the passengers is unfair, they are simply reacting to the incentives the airlines give them. HBO fares, slow checked bag delivery times, and a focus on budget (checked bag is seen as premium) all provide the incentive to bring big carry-ons.

This. So much this.

For my 40th birthday, i flew LGW - BCN (Norwegian)- SXF (Easyjet)- HAM (DE train) - LHR (BA)

If i had paid for a bag that would have cost me an additional few hundred quid. And out of all of the flights, the best service i got was on Norwegian. Not BA, which fell below the LCC standards.
lhrpete and HMPS like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:07 am

I'll have to try next time, I tried several months ago and I was informed I wasn't entitled to a checked bag and would need to pay £60 as I hadn't pre-booked... I swiftly removed my bag and carried it on the plane. This was LHR T5.

Thanks for the advice, I wish they consistently ruled the way you described.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Flying back from Malaga on Monday, one of the check in desks was also advertising itself as "Complementary (sic) cabin bag drop".

At T5 airside there are dedicated desks allowing you to check in your hand baggage for free - not sure if they also have these landslide?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zappomatic
.At T5 airside there are dedicated desks allowing you to check in your hand baggage for free - not sure if they also have these landslide?
Landside is at B19 or the self tagging machines.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by abligh
This is not consistently the case. I tried and failed to check a bag at LCY on an HBO fare despite the fact that OLCI showed (wrongly) a baggage allowance against it due to Gold status.
Cant comment on LCY but at LHR there are signs inviting you to check your cabin baggage for free at zone B. I did ask at The First Wing and was told it was offered on all flights departing LHR and LGW and all UK domestic flights to aid on time departures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.