Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HBO pax break the overhead locker

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
I had a carry on bag that managed to jam the overhead compartment once on a AA flight from LAX to SFO. These regional jets just arent made for standard carry on’s!

no amount of prying could get it out. Had to wait till all passengers were off andengineers called to get it out. Last flight of the day and I got off the plan at 1am!

cabin crew stayed on, obviously. Felt bad for them!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ukgooner
There is also a massive lack of empathy from some who have a sense of entitlement. Really, on very busy flights, the overhead bin should be for larger bags. But you still see people taking up the space with their coat and a small bag just because they think its their right. If there was a greater sense of collective goodwill (and there are many reasons why people chose not to check a bag), then I suspect there would be less pain.
What so if Im only travelling with a coat and light bag, because I pay for my hold luggage, I'm supposed to spend the whole flight with them on my knees to make space for someone with an 18ton carryon, or else I'm the one being entitled?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
What so if Im only travelling with a coat and light bag, because I pay for my hold luggage, I'm supposed to spend the whole flight with them on my knees to make space for someone with an 18ton carryon, or else I'm the one being entitled?
There are coat hooks on the side of seats (which are only used by regular flyers as far as I can see, though they are a bit fiddly to use) but the problem is when someone puts a coat in first to an empty-ish locker, it can result in blocking a fair amount of space, 95% unused. It's far more sensible that coats go in last, at the end of boarding, on top of bags since (a) it uses the 5% efficiently and (b) when you arrive, at disembarkation people can stand up, get to the aisle and put on their coat first, before retrieving bags. Trying to get bags then coats out of sequence, with the coat plugged to the back of the locker, tends to end up in an unseemly scramble.

There will always be space for coats and light bags anyway, just put them in last. Getting items into a locker first isn't always the best idea.
Stez, HMPS, MiraculousM and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
light and small bags go under the seat in front?

have to be honest one of my biggest gripes is when people put their small bags which have been tagged in overheads. Just as bad as those with suitcases for carry on when it’s a full flight
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by bd95
FR say there is space for 90 trolley bags on their 738s (but 189 (I think)) pax.

So rather than the poster above suggesting giving 1 tag per passenger for the overhead bins, it should be 1 bag for the first X passengers (an A320 is smaller than a 738 I think) to board. Everyone else checks.
It's recently changed - pay £6 for priority, and then you can bring an overhead-size bag (and they only sell 90 priority passes). No priority = no big bag, even if there is still space left. Completely transparent, and a zero stress arrangement. I like it!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:06 pm

Indeed. I’ve only once in 800 flights pulled the “offload me” card when a member of cabin crew told me to remove my small laptop bag from the overhead to accommodate a late arriving passenger with a kitchen sink wheelie bag and bulging backpack. Thankfully my bluff wasn’t called and the crew member headed off to pick on someone else.The area under my seat is for my feet, maybe I’d feel more generous if it hadn’t been progressively densified away over the last decade.
cammyloon, User Name, HMPS and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltus
My experience is the opposite - the problems seem to be caused by leisure travellers turning up late at the gate with all their holiday kit, beach bags, big floppy hats and armfuls of duty free, who get on the plane when all the lockers are already full and then don't have anywhere to store their possessions.

Of course, it could be that they are the frequent flyers you refer to, but it seems more like this is the first time they've been on an aircraft for months...
All the beach bags, floppy hats, duty free bag, extra pillows and what not that some leisure travellers seems to be burdened with are rather squishy and flexible, and can usually quite quickly be flexed in to remaining space. But as you point out, by the time they board most space is gone, taken by fridge sized roller bags with carry on sized laptop bags that a lot of business travellers seem to think it is OK to bring, and airlines seem to do little to regulate.

The "I am top tier elite, I fly several times a week and I know my bag fits in the overhead locker" tantrum is not rare. Leisure travellers are much more likely to simply hand over their bags when gate staff tells them it is too big to fly in the cabin.
​​​​

​​​

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 28, 2019 at 11:13 pm
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I rarely take a large cabin bag with me, usually taking a small rucksack for my valuables, laptop and any medication. As I only have one bag, and it’s small I for sure expect that I can use the overhead locker, I don’t expect that I can take up space with it and usually slide it on sideways at the edge of a locker or on top of an existing carry to take up the least amount of space. If someone has a large carry on and a just as large “laptop bag” they should have to have that large laptop bag at their feet if there isn’t enough room. The required dimensions for a laptop bag are pretty small and would easily fit under the seat in front. Just because a laptop is inside a bag, doesn’t make said bag “a laptop bag” by definition.
cammyloon likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Always sitting in exit rows makes life easier, whatever I have (properly sized bag, duty free, coat, laptop, fluffy unicorn* etc.) has to be stowed above my head. CC are generally proactive at leaving space above exit rows for that reason

*not for me in case you were wondering

The problem I have is that the company's travel policy is to select lowest cost flights for short haul which means that BA HBO fares are in policy and ones with bags are often not even if I'm away for a week and need a checked bag. Making the point that the £20 difference in fare is cheaper than buying a checked in bag allowance of course doesn't wash - 'policy says no'.
mccartje likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
It's recently changed - pay £6 for priority, and then you can bring an overhead-size bag (and they only sell 90 priority passes). No priority = no big bag, even if there is still space left. Completely transparent, and a zero stress arrangement. I like it!
I flew Ryanair last weekend.

They did have the priority thing implemented but the sizes of the backpacks that people were bringing on were way bigger than the allowed size and im sure that they wouldnt have fit into the sizer.

There was still a bunch of kerfuffle getting everything on.

Also, as i keep mentioning, both EasyJet and Ryanair allow on a duty free bag. BA do not. So, theoretically, the "one bag" rule on both is defunct because people stuff duty free bags with their goods they cant get in their bags.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
All the beach bags, floppy hats, duty free bag, extra pillows and what not that some leisure travellers seems to be burdened with are rather squishy and flexible, and can usually quite quickly be flexed in to remaining space. But as you point out, by the time they board most space is gone, taken by fridge sized roller bags with carry on sized laptop bags that a lot of business travellers seem to think it is OK to bring, and airlines seem to do little to regulate.

The "I am top tier elite, I fly several times a week and I know my bag fits in the overhead locker" tantrum is not rare. Leisure travellers are much more likely to simply hand over their bags when gate staff tells them it is too big to fly in the cabin.
​​​​

​​​
I was going to point this out. I ALWAYS see bags in group 1-3 that are way bigger than the allowed dimensions.

And then i see a lot of you complain that your bags are being taken when none are taken from group 5. Group 5 are more likely to know the rules, have bags that fit (because, like myself, they are used to LCCs that are strict) and are more likely to be able to fit them in the sizer.
cammyloon, HMPS, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:32 am

As I group 1 boarder I was recently forced to gate check my bag as it was ‘too big for this type of a/c’ (A32N). Group 4s and 5s later boarded with bags at least the same size as mine. The bag in question had also been used on both days prior to this incident, and for 2 subsequent flights since with no issues. Seems that there’s no consistency in enforcing the rules.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by EGLK FLYER
As I group 1 boarder I was recently forced to gate check my bag as it was ‘too big for this type of a/c’ (A32N). Group 4s and 5s later boarded with bags at least the same size as mine. The bag in question had also been used on both days prior to this incident, and for 2 subsequent flights since with no issues. Seems that there’s no consistency in enforcing the rules.
What you don't mention is whether or not this bag fits in BA's published dimensions. "Having used it before" is not really a good indicator.
cammyloon, HMPS and jamesreid978 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
What you don't mention is whether or not this bag fits in BA's published dimensions. "Having used it before" is not really a good indicator.
Even then, being within the published dimensions isn't a guarantee it will fit on the aircraft. I have a Samsonite upright that comes in just below BA's dimensions, but it is too wide for the overheads on an E190. If the wheels are right at the end of the locker then the door can just be squeezed shut because there's a bit of flex in it, but it definitely doesn't "fit".
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Main issue is BA have a size policy, but it is NEVER checked. All my bags fall within this size. Ive seem people board with literally twice the size of the rule + a second bag.
cammyloon, HMPS, watersign and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.