HBO pax break the overhead locker

Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:31 am

I think the second bag size is routinely flaunted. How many bags are under the 25cm depth? Not many that I see.
flygirl68, jamesreid978 and volar like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I always travel with my extensive collection of lithium-ion batteries, which seems to solve a lot of problems.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I stopped checking my bag in when I discovered that BA's "Priority Luggage" tag was meaningless... Implement a real priority bag handling policy, and group 1's would be more likely to check their bag(s) in (with the added benefits of liquids/aerosols etc).
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by xPositor
I stopped checking my bag in when I discovered that BA's "Priority Luggage" tag was meaningless... Implement a real priority bag handling policy, and group 1's would be more likely to check their bag(s) in (with the added benefits of liquids/aerosols etc).
The lack of priority baggage handling has always been a legitimate complaint and I wish BA could figure it out. That being said as someone who over the previous 15 years never checked a bag on BA I have in the last 12 months been checking in my 20" carry on all the time on shorthaul. With the overheads just being rammed and seemingly no matter how early you board the lockers over Row 1 being filled I just said to hell with stressing out about it. I have found especially flying into T5 most of the time the bags are just coming onto the belt as I get down to the baggage hall anyway. Sure there is the chance that the bag could go missing but I've found it quite liberating not dragging the bag around to save at most 10 minutes. So now I'm back to sitting in Row 1 all the time and boarding at my leisure without worrying about where the bag is going to go. I think because so few people are checking bags now (as can be seen by only a few people standing at the belt) it's cut down on the waiting time for the bag as well. I still carry on my bag on longhaul flights and also if I sense LHR is going to go into one of it's meltdowns I'll avoid checking it but overall something I used to take all steps to avoid doing is working out quite well. I never check my bag to YYZ but that disaster is a YYZ thing for all airlines not just BA.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
What you don't mention is whether or not this bag fits in BA's published dimensions. "Having used it before" is not really a good indicator.
Yes it does. And said bag wasn’t checked for size at the gate either.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by EGLK FLYER
Yes it does. And said bag wasn’t checked for size at the gate either.
In which case that would be an odd one. Especially since the 320Neo aren't unusually small. Maybe the gate staff was inconsistent.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EGLK FLYER
As I group 1 boarder I was recently forced to gate check my bag as it was ‘too big for this type of a/c’ (A32N). Group 4s and 5s later boarded with bags at least the same size as mine. The bag in question had also been used on both days prior to this incident, and for 2 subsequent flights since with no issues. Seems that there’s no consistency in enforcing the rules.
AFAIK there aren't different size limits stated for different aircraft types. You should complain to BA if your was a legal sized bag.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by thebigben
What you don't mention is whether or not this bag fits in BA's published dimensions. "Having used it before" is not really a good indicator.
The problem / question is do BA & many other airlines apply the rule consistently ? Not in my observations / experience !
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ukgooner
There is also a massive lack of empathy from some who have a sense of entitlement. Really, on very busy flights, the overhead bin should be for larger bags. But you still see people taking up the space with their coat and a small bag just because they think its their right. If there was a greater sense of collective goodwill (and there are many reasons why people chose not to check a bag), then I suspect there would be less pain.
With more and more legroom being taken away at 6ft6 when I check in a bag I don’t see why I should sacrifice my little floorspace with a small bag and coat when other passengers paying less have a trolley case and other bag.
HMPS, PAL62V and jamesreid978 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Surprised to see BA actively checking all cabin bags fitted the cage at the gate last week at LGW although it did look like some big bags got through. Same problem with inappropriate small bags in the overheads, and there is no legroom excuse in Club as there is space under the centre seat. BA don't help however, as all of the lockers above row 1, and into row 2, appeared to be full of galley equipment, as well as the usual demo kit - so the very seats that have to stow their baggage overhead had no space to do so.
T8191 and Tocsin like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:07 am

I was going to ask if there was for a long haul or short haul.

BA worse then Norwegian then as an LCC as the last 3 norwegian flights i have been on, they havent used the frame.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Personally i think BA should restrict this to one bag and one bag only - if thats a trolley bag, fine...but you then cant have a back pack and a handbag and a bag full of duty free....it ALL has to fit in ONE bag (of appropriate & approved size)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:38 am

You cant have a bag of duty free. You are only allowed a personal bag and a cabin bag.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

With more and more legroom being taken away at 6ft6 when I check in a bag I don’t see why I should sacrifice my little floorspace with a small bag and coat when other passengers paying less have a trolley case and other bag.
I guess what you could do is to only take a trolley bag on board. Then there is no question of having to put your second, smaller bag under the seat in front of you.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
BA don't help however, as all of the lockers above row 1, and into row 2, appeared to be full of galley equipment, as well as the usual demo kit - so the very seats that have to stow their baggage overhead had no space to do so.
I couldn't agree more, and it really does annoy me/us. We used to choose Row 2 on CE partly for that reason, as our carry-ons fit easily under the seats in front. However, the degraded legroom [and perhaps a sense of entitlement ] has moved us into 1A/C. As Group 1 we usually get the bags into the overheads in Row 1, if not then in Row 2 on some occasions.
Tocsin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.