Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe - 'Fly in Luxury'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by nivsy
Very accurate. Ofcourse you don't in theory need a wallet....credit card in shirt pocket may suffice. Or if "it" was unfortunate to be given a yellow tag...then you should find it hiding under the seat in front of you;😋🙄😒..or just use AVIOS. Does anyone actually use AVIOS for purchase?. Last time I looked it seemed quite expensive to buy anything using AVIOS.
Buying almost ANYTHING with avios or miles or points is a huge mistake. One should value the points ( take a value of 2 cents a mile) TOPS , check what the going price of the item you want and determine the "cost" by 2 cents multiplied by how many miles they want. I then look at International J seats, divide by points/miles required and see the "value" I get. Guess what wins EVERY TIME !
Some blogs regularly publish the "Fair market value of point / mile".
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by nivsy
Very accurate. Ofcourse you don't in theory need a wallet....credit card in shirt pocket may suffice. Or if "it" was unfortunate to be given a yellow tag...then you should find it hiding under the seat in front of you;😋🙄😒..or just use AVIOS. Does anyone actually use AVIOS for purchase?. Last time I looked it seemed quite expensive to buy anything using AVIOS.
I was surprised to see on some off my recent SH flights that many people were paying with Avios. My colleague was one of these and I asked him why he was doing it, he said that he doesn't fly enough to get enough Avios to do anything with, so having a drink "for free" was the best use of his miles in his eyes.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Leeski
Also where's the apostrophe in Europe's?
Picky, picky, picky.... Obviously there is no standardized/uniform/universal set of grammar rules in the English language.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by tmac100
Picky, picky, picky.... Obviously there is no standardized/uniform/universal set of grammar rules in the English language.
OOOOOOOO ! Get ready to be tutored by some friends here !
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HMPS
OOOOOOOO ! Get ready to be tutored by some friends here !
What if I refuse their request for payment?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Obviously the audience here knows very well what CE is, and isn’t. Think about once-a-year flyers considering a trip to Europe for a summer holiday, and faced with Ryanair taking them within 50 miles of where they want to be in a yellow tube with fighting stag parties, or in “luxury” with the far more refined British Airways. Maybe this is aimed at those guys rather than you?

As someone that flys ryanair, i can guarantee that people that chose to fly it are not going to be paying out of pocket for club world or even WTP. Someone needs to realise that if these are the people that BA are trying to aim for, they need to improve their service in economy because frankly, its currently a joke.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
As someone that flys ryanair, i can guarantee that people that chose to fly it are not going to be paying out of pocket for club world or even WTP. Someone needs to realise that if these are the people that BA are trying to aim for, they need to improve their service in economy because frankly, its currently a joke.
Eh??? I choose to fly Ryanair when I want to go to Eindhoven from Manchester. I choose EK/QR in J / F when I go east. I choose Thomas Cook in their PE for a trip to New York next week.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Eh??? I choose to fly Ryanair when I want to go to Eindhoven from Manchester. I choose EK/QR in J / F when I go east. I choose Thomas Cook in their PE for a trip to New York next week.
Not to be a snob or anything, but we are talking BA not Thomas Cook (i just looked up EXACTLY the same dates and roughly the same times for a flight to JFK from Manchester on TC and one from LHR on BA and the TC price came up as Ł550 for premium vs Ł850 for WTP on BA in May).

Most people would not pay the extra Ł450 to travel WTP on BA if they are using ryanair on the regular. Yes i am making a broad statement and there will be many exceptions to this (especially people that post on this forum as its not aimed at us Y travellers who watch flight prices for months before they drop), but even just looking at the latest ryanair enhancement- there was a very full line of people not flying priority on both my last 2 flights and using backpacks as their personal bag so that they didnt pay the extra Ł12. The priority was only about 20 people deep.People that use ryanair MOSTLY will be flying the cheapest they can.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Not to be a snob or anything, but we are talking BA not Thomas Cook (i just looked up EXACTLY the same dates and roughly the same times for a flight to JFK from Manchester on TC and one from LHR on BA and the TC price came up as Ł550 for premium vs Ł850 for WTP on BA in May).

Most people would not pay the extra Ł450 to travel WTP on BA if they are using ryanair on the regular. Yes i am making a broad statement and there will be many exceptions to this (especially people that post on this forum as its not aimed at us Y travellers who watch flight prices for months before they drop), but even just looking at the latest ryanair enhancement- there was a very full line of people not flying priority on both my last 2 flights and using backpacks as their personal bag so that they didnt pay the extra Ł12. The priority was only about 20 people deep.People that use ryanair MOSTLY will be flying the cheapest they can.
What I'm saying is that people use the best compromise of price and convenience. Sure, I could afford to fly BA CE from MAN-LHR-RTM/DUS/AMS and get the train to Eindhoven. But I'd rather fly direct. Same with my flight to NYC - I could fly in J for not much more than I spent on PE, but it would have meant flying to DUB or AMS first.

The queue for priority for the MAN-EIN flights could be 50 strong.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:08 am

AND I was saying that generally people that fly ryanair, wont fly WTP. That was the basis of my argument. Costs. Most people that generally fly ryanair and most low cost airlines are not going to pay more for the little upgrade to WTP.

Its easier for me to fly from gatwick than stansted too, but to get to eindhoven, where i go to a lot, i go to stansted because its 3x cheaper than BA. I work out costs, including getting too and from the airport at stupid AM.

The general LCC user is usually an economy flyer on Long Haul and, IN GENERAL, will not pay for WTP on long haul flights for their one holiday a year. If they are using LCCs, they probably have more than one holiday a year and want to keep the costs down for each trip.. and would look at the Ł400 upgrade to WTP as another holiday in europe somewhere (flights and hotels included).

I saw this as a single traveler who has one / two long hauls a year, who frequently flies on LCCs and despises what BAs economy offering has become. I would never pay to upgrade to WTP because my holiday money is limited and I def cant ever afford a CE seat.

The original post i quoted basically talked about me and i think you should refer to that and my reply instead of talking about that you are one of the few that uses both LCCs and WTP..
HMPS and T8191 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

The original post i quoted basically talked about me and i think you should refer to that and my reply instead of talking about that you are one of the few that uses both LCCs and WTP..
Must say - with some confidence - that DYKWIA will not be “one of the few” to make use of both LCC’s and the more expensive seats offered by full service / longhaul carriers. That particular category encompasses a very large number of people. I am also in this group, along with countless people I know personally, or have chanced upon in my travels.

The simple reality is that flyers such as DYKWIA and myself are as likely to book a flight on Ryanair, as we are with BA in J, or with Emirates in F ; and to make all such bookings with the same enthusiasm. By ‘enthusiasm’, I do not mean to say that all flights will be anticipated or enjoyed to the same degree - but rather that they might happen to represent the preferred and most pragmatic choice for that particular route, date & personal schedule.

rossmacd likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:37 am

I stand corrected.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ MiraculousM - my post was not really written by way of ‘correction’. These are, all said & done, not so much matters of hard fact, or who is right or wrong ; but more about subjective opinion & personal habit. I was looking to bring a wider perspective to the picture you had painted ^
corporate-wage-slave and HMPS like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.