Club Europe - 'Fly in Luxury'

Reply

Old Apr 1, 19, 11:21 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,412
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
Very accurate. Ofcourse you don't in theory need a wallet....credit card in shirt pocket may suffice. Or if "it" was unfortunate to be given a yellow tag...then you should find it hiding under the seat in front of you;😋🙄😒..or just use AVIOS. Does anyone actually use AVIOS for purchase?. Last time I looked it seemed quite expensive to buy anything using AVIOS.
Buying almost ANYTHING with avios or miles or points is a huge mistake. One should value the points ( take a value of 2 cents a mile) TOPS , check what the going price of the item you want and determine the "cost" by 2 cents multiplied by how many miles they want. I then look at International J seats, divide by points/miles required and see the "value" I get. Guess what wins EVERY TIME !
Some blogs regularly publish the "Fair market value of point / mile".
HMPS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 11:42 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
Very accurate. Ofcourse you don't in theory need a wallet....credit card in shirt pocket may suffice. Or if "it" was unfortunate to be given a yellow tag...then you should find it hiding under the seat in front of you;😋🙄😒..or just use AVIOS. Does anyone actually use AVIOS for purchase?. Last time I looked it seemed quite expensive to buy anything using AVIOS.
I was surprised to see on some off my recent SH flights that many people were paying with Avios. My colleague was one of these and I asked him why he was doing it, he said that he doesn't fly enough to get enough Avios to do anything with, so having a drink "for free" was the best use of his miles in his eyes.
wilsnunn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 1:57 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Middle Earth, and often worse
Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by Leeski View Post
Also where's the apostrophe in Europe's?
Picky, picky, picky.... Obviously there is no standardized/uniform/universal set of grammar rules in the English language.
tmac100 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 19, 2:12 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 9,412
Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
Picky, picky, picky.... Obviously there is no standardized/uniform/universal set of grammar rules in the English language.
OOOOOOOO ! Get ready to be tutored by some friends here !
HMPS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 19, 1:57 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Middle Earth, and often worse
Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Posts: 1,659
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
OOOOOOOO ! Get ready to be tutored by some friends here !
What if I refuse their request for payment?
tmac100 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 19, 2:21 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer View Post
Obviously the audience here knows very well what CE is, and isn’t. Think about once-a-year flyers considering a trip to Europe for a summer holiday, and faced with Ryanair taking them within 50 miles of where they want to be in a yellow tube with fighting stag parties, or in “luxury” with the far more refined British Airways. Maybe this is aimed at those guys rather than you?

As someone that flys ryanair, i can guarantee that people that chose to fly it are not going to be paying out of pocket for club world or even WTP. Someone needs to realise that if these are the people that BA are trying to aim for, they need to improve their service in economy because frankly, its currently a joke.
HMPS likes this.
MiraculousM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 19, 2:33 am
  #52  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,326
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
As someone that flys ryanair, i can guarantee that people that chose to fly it are not going to be paying out of pocket for club world or even WTP. Someone needs to realise that if these are the people that BA are trying to aim for, they need to improve their service in economy because frankly, its currently a joke.
Eh??? I choose to fly Ryanair when I want to go to Eindhoven from Manchester. I choose EK/QR in J / F when I go east. I choose Thomas Cook in their PE for a trip to New York next week.
DYKWIA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 19, 4:16 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Eh??? I choose to fly Ryanair when I want to go to Eindhoven from Manchester. I choose EK/QR in J / F when I go east. I choose Thomas Cook in their PE for a trip to New York next week.
Not to be a snob or anything, but we are talking BA not Thomas Cook (i just looked up EXACTLY the same dates and roughly the same times for a flight to JFK from Manchester on TC and one from LHR on BA and the TC price came up as £550 for premium vs £850 for WTP on BA in May).

Most people would not pay the extra £450 to travel WTP on BA if they are using ryanair on the regular. Yes i am making a broad statement and there will be many exceptions to this (especially people that post on this forum as its not aimed at us Y travellers who watch flight prices for months before they drop), but even just looking at the latest ryanair enhancement- there was a very full line of people not flying priority on both my last 2 flights and using backpacks as their personal bag so that they didnt pay the extra £12. The priority was only about 20 people deep.People that use ryanair MOSTLY will be flying the cheapest they can.
MiraculousM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 19, 5:29 am
  #54  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,326
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post
Not to be a snob or anything, but we are talking BA not Thomas Cook (i just looked up EXACTLY the same dates and roughly the same times for a flight to JFK from Manchester on TC and one from LHR on BA and the TC price came up as £550 for premium vs £850 for WTP on BA in May).

Most people would not pay the extra £450 to travel WTP on BA if they are using ryanair on the regular. Yes i am making a broad statement and there will be many exceptions to this (especially people that post on this forum as its not aimed at us Y travellers who watch flight prices for months before they drop), but even just looking at the latest ryanair enhancement- there was a very full line of people not flying priority on both my last 2 flights and using backpacks as their personal bag so that they didnt pay the extra £12. The priority was only about 20 people deep.People that use ryanair MOSTLY will be flying the cheapest they can.
What I'm saying is that people use the best compromise of price and convenience. Sure, I could afford to fly BA CE from MAN-LHR-RTM/DUS/AMS and get the train to Eindhoven. But I'd rather fly direct. Same with my flight to NYC - I could fly in J for not much more than I spent on PE, but it would have meant flying to DUB or AMS first.

The queue for priority for the MAN-EIN flights could be 50 strong.
DYKWIA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 19, 8:08 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 245
AND I was saying that generally people that fly ryanair, wont fly WTP. That was the basis of my argument. Costs. Most people that generally fly ryanair and most low cost airlines are not going to pay more for the little upgrade to WTP.

Its easier for me to fly from gatwick than stansted too, but to get to eindhoven, where i go to a lot, i go to stansted because its 3x cheaper than BA. I work out costs, including getting too and from the airport at stupid AM.

The general LCC user is usually an economy flyer on Long Haul and, IN GENERAL, will not pay for WTP on long haul flights for their one holiday a year. If they are using LCCs, they probably have more than one holiday a year and want to keep the costs down for each trip.. and would look at the £400 upgrade to WTP as another holiday in europe somewhere (flights and hotels included).

I saw this as a single traveler who has one / two long hauls a year, who frequently flies on LCCs and despises what BAs economy offering has become. I would never pay to upgrade to WTP because my holiday money is limited and I def cant ever afford a CE seat.

The original post i quoted basically talked about me and i think you should refer to that and my reply instead of talking about that you are one of the few that uses both LCCs and WTP..
HMPS and T8191 like this.
MiraculousM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 19, 8:25 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 4,636
Originally Posted by MiraculousM View Post

.............................................

....................................

The original post i quoted basically talked about me and i think you should refer to that and my reply instead of talking about that you are one of the few that uses both LCCs and WTP..
Must say - with some confidence - that DYKWIA will not be “one of the few” to make use of both LCC’s and the more expensive seats offered by full service / longhaul carriers. That particular category encompasses a very large number of people. I am also in this group, along with countless people I know personally, or have chanced upon in my travels.

The simple reality is that flyers such as DYKWIA and myself are as likely to book a flight on Ryanair, as we are with BA in J, or with Emirates in F ; and to make all such bookings with the same enthusiasm. By ‘enthusiasm’, I do not mean to say that all flights will be anticipated or enjoyed to the same degree - but rather that they might happen to represent the preferred and most pragmatic choice for that particular route, date & personal schedule.


rossmacd likes this.
subject2load is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 19, 8:37 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 245
I stand corrected.
MiraculousM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 19, 9:39 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 4,636
@ MiraculousM - my post was not really written by way of ‘correction’. These are, all said & done, not so much matters of hard fact, or who is right or wrong ; but more about subjective opinion & personal habit. I was looking to bring a wider perspective to the picture you had painted
corporate-wage-slave and HMPS like this.
subject2load is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread