Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways is Blocking Almost all Economy Seats

Old Mar 27, 19, 12:25 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

I am Flying on BA 48 from Seattle to London Heathrow on Friday and I have been tracking the available seats as I do not want to purchase one, but don't want to get stuck in the middle. Up until today the flight had more than half of its seats available. However today I looked at the seat selection page and almost all of the seats were taken over night. When I checked expert flier it turns out that BA blocked a majority of the available seats. Any reason why they would do that? Does it mean anything I need to be concerned about.

Old Mar 27, 19, 12:32 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Theoretical Seating master thread: Blocked seats and status
Old Mar 27, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, BA Gold
It could also be that the flight is empty and they’ve had to block seats for load/balance/weight reasons?
Old Mar 27, 19, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kosy91 View Post
It could also be that the flight is empty and they’ve had to block seats for load/balance/weight reasons?
yes this looks far too widespread for just TS.
Old Mar 27, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Don’t plan on it being that empty. That looks similar to a Riyadh-Heathrow BA flight I was on a few weeks back. When on board every seat in economy was taken with a few upgrades at the gate due to it being oversold by 17. I came to the conclusion that the majority of economy customers do not pay for seat selection or do not know they can pay for it plus don’t bother checking in online 24hrs before as it was still the same for a while within that window.
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 27, 19, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
I had something very similar when flying JED-LHR earlier this year. CWS provided a good answer for me there which will partially fit here however the answer was also partly specific to the JED-LHR route.
Old Mar 27, 19, 5:49 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kosy91 View Post
I guess that is possible it just sucks because it looks like they blocked off any completely open row and a good portion of the most desirable seats. I had my eye on 52 J, but was not going to be paying $101 for it. It looks like 40A may need to be new target unless they unlock on Check-In
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, LCA Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Before having my OWR status ( BA Bronze ) [ even though I'm Silver at the moment ], I always had the same issue. I think that they have a blocking system on purpose to make passengers pay for their seats on future travels ( especially for pax traveling in a party of 2 or more ). Once I was flying MIA-LHR and the only available window seat was row 50A, all the way back at the cabin on a low-J 747-400. Most of the window seats were blocked and was not opening. Also once when I was flying BOS-LHR, I was auto-assigned the bassinet seat ( 39K ) on a super-high-J 747-400 automatically with only able to change my seat to a middle seat. Of course I've sticked with 39K.

However, after becoming Silver. I could also have chosen blocked seats ( checked from expert flyer ) unless it's blocked due to a Gold or OWE member. Also, on my all not-fully-booked BA flights on Y, the seat next to me was always blocked and empty, in addition sometimes I had the chance to have the entire row ( 3 seat ) while some passengers were most seating blocks didn't have empty seats.
Old Mar 27, 19, 9:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is Theoretical Seating as indicated by the link above. Bronze, Silver and Golds will see ever increasing amount of available seats.

However it is a dynamic situation, with many of those seats "ear-marked" for other customers, both status and non-status. Every time someone selects a seat (via status, payment or OLCI) TS will recalculate and show other options. In particular at T-24 to T-22 it's quite normal for one third of seats to change hands.

The net result is that those with higher status are more likely to have empty space next to them, particularly if they opt to go further back in the cabin, however generally speaking BA's services often go out full or nearly so. A SEA service on a Friday is going to be busy.
nancypants, BearX220 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 2:56 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Usual rules apply. Check in early and select the best seat available. Do not print boarding pass or email etc. Return often and review available seats choosing the best each time until you are happy with your choice.
Old Mar 28, 19, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wilsnunn View Post
I had something very similar when flying JED-LHR earlier this year. CWS provided a good answer for me there which will partially fit here however the answer was also partly specific to the JED-LHR route.
Can you share the reason? LHR-JED-LHR will become my commute shortly.
Old Mar 28, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jamier45 View Post
I guess it is this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30756876-post3.html

And I think the same reason for my experience from RUH.
Old Mar 28, 19, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by Jamier45 View Post
Originally Posted by manymany View Post

I guess it is this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30756876-post3.html

And I think the same reason for my experience from RUH.
Yes this is the one.

I suppose it is also because many of the travellers in Y on that route will be pilgrims travelling in tour groups as well.

Search this Thread