F comparison.

Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
F comparison.

So I try to avoid BA F. For the past couple of years been using Emirates.

Times weren’t so good for flights I wanted so decided to risk BA F to HKG.

Gawd .... until you have experienced others you really don’t know what you are missing.

1. Why is it they never offer slippers? On both occasions I had to ask for them.
2. On the return no medium sized PJs? Only large. Can’t be that difficult to ensure stock?
3. Why is it the crew never say that food can be ordered at anytime. They try and always serve you altogether right after you have taken off.
4. Never get offered chocolates or a hot towel
5. The toilet is always run out of something.
6. They should really allow the first passengers to disembark first. On Emirates they leave the curtains drawn allows you to disembark and then allow business to leave. On BA they let business go right up to the door and you have to push into the streaming movement of business makes it very awkward.
7. Does BA actually do priority baggage?

On on the way out someone was told not to eat the beef. You might get food poisoning as we only reheat it..... gawd.

Lost my luggage on on the way out (though Qantas is getting the blame) due to transfer.

And now right this moment the luggage belt has broken in T5.

Only bring this this up because I have never had this on an EK flight! BA really need to step up their service and experience game.

And why can’t they offer a chauffeur service? So much time is wasted getting and waiting for a car.

No more ranting. I just want them to improve because if they did they would be my airline of choice.
UAuhoh, HMPS, m3red and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Some of the items you mention are down to individual crews (Not excusing but can happen on other carriers). Agree BA First is not the best offering out there but I am possibly in a fortunate position that to date my First experiences have mainly being good, have had one poor crew and only once not got my first meal choice including after have had gate upgrades.

You will also find differences in the First offerings depending on origin country, as an example BA does offer a chauffeur service for cash First tickets from Sydney. This shows that where BA see a benefit in their offering extras they will, as they are having to compete for custom rather than being in a dominant position. Would I like to see this rolled out everywhere, not necessarilly as I do know the knock on issues this causes beyond the airline.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:25 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I too can offer a comparison on my one and only return F flight with EK from LGW to DBX. Lounge at Gatwick was nothing special and mixed with business. Boarding (777 door L2) was a scrum with the worst priority boarding ever. The cabin crew were very young and seemed inexperienced, so much so when my suite froze during bed conversion I took four of them to sort it out. The suite was very bling But that’s personal taste. The walk from the gate to to baggage claim seemed extremely long and my bags were one of the last delivered. Finally the chauffeured car was a death ride. I have never been so frightened in a car in my life and the driver took no notice when I complained about his reckless driving ( it was so bad I made alternative arrangements for my return trip to the airport) Finally on the return the aircraft went tech and I finished up in a 2-2-2 F cabin. A complaint to Emirates was met with the most dismissive reply ever. Yes BA F can never be described as stellar or class leading but it has never disappointed me like the nightmare of EK
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I never understand the fuss with Emirates J or F - I’ve found very surly crews , yes the F Suites are lovely but J is a total lottery and on the 777 if you find yourself in a centre seat with no aisle access it’s miserable - they have a hugely inconsistent experience, declining quality of crew and still can’t beat a fantastic BA crew.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thatflyer
So I try to avoid BA F. For the past couple of years been using Emirates.

Times weren’t so good for flights I wanted so decided to risk BA F to HKG.

Gawd .... until you have experienced others you really don’t know what you are missing.

1. Why is it they never offer slippers? On both occasions I had to ask for them.
2. On the return no medium sized PJs? Only large. Can’t be that difficult to ensure stock?
3. Why is it the crew never say that food can be ordered at anytime. They try and always serve you altogether right after you have taken off.
4. Never get offered chocolates or a hot towel
5. The toilet is always run out of something.
6. They should really allow the first passengers to disembark first. On Emirates they leave the curtains drawn allows you to disembark and then allow business to leave. On BA they let business go right up to the door and you have to push into the streaming movement of business makes it very awkward.
7. Does BA actually do priority baggage?

On on the way out someone was told not to eat the beef. You might get food poisoning as we only reheat it..... gawd.

Lost my luggage on on the way out (though Qantas is getting the blame) due to transfer.

And now right this moment the luggage belt has broken in T5.

Only bring this this up because I have never had this on an EK flight! BA really need to step up their service and experience game.

And why can’t they offer a chauffeur service? So much time is wasted getting and waiting for a car.

No more ranting. I just want them to improve because if they did they would be my airline of choice.
ek f and ba f isn’t a fair comparison.
DYKWIA, SFO777, HMPS and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Emirates have specially trained crew for F. That's why the experience is generally better and more consistent. I've never had an EK F flight that has been anything less than great. I wish I could say the same about my BA F flights...

Food on both BA and EK isn't great in my experience. Drink is far better on EK.

As usual with these comparisons, people move on to comparing to EK J, and saying how bad it is with 7 across in J on the B777. Conveniently forgetting that BA is 8 across on the B777!
SFO777, HMPS, m3red and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:23 am

Oh, and Blingo!
m3red and mickeyjaw like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Very interesting to see other people’s opinions.

I have been in F on
BA probably around 8 times
Qantas 8 times
Cathay 4 times
EK .... dunno maybe 20 times?? Lost count.

I have yet to ever have a bad experience on EK. Or rather never an experience as poor as BA.

So are some some of you saying crew on BA for F aren’t specifically trained? Would make sense ... and would explain a lot.

I always find the friendliest and chattiest crew on Qantas.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Though I have to say the quality of the actual suite on BA is much nicer than others.

All the trims are solid milled aluminium. Very nice.

I dislike the fake fake wood and gold bling on EK.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It's a bed that gets you from A to B. Sure, I'd rather be on JL or SQ F - but not at the price of going to the US via East Asia.

BA is happily filling it's cabins (though from my own experience, it's incredibly easy to get into F on points, 2-4-1s and GUFs, so that may have something to do with the quality of the product).
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Emirates have specially trained crew for F. That's why the experience is generally better and more consistent. I've never had an EK F flight that has been anything less than great. I wish I could say the same about my BA F flights...

Food on both BA and EK isn't great in my experience. Drink is far better on EK.

As usual with these comparisons, people move on to comparing to EK J, and saying how bad it is with 7 across in J on the B777. Conveniently forgetting that BA is 8 across on the B777!
I don’t think BA is a true 8 across because of the staggered arrangement of the seating.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Chris9642
I don’t think BA is a true 8 across because of the staggered arrangement of the seating.
??? It's 8 across, no matter how you look at it - they are not staggered. There are 4 sets of 2 seats. On most rows, 4 people have to climb over others.
UAuhoh and HMPS like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:20 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I always call EK F Class as EK Funeral Class. Because you know what a coffin feels like when you get in the suite and they close the door.

On the sectors I have done I have found EK service to be indifferent. Wine selections are show off bling ones. Anything by Moët is bling with no real flavour.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chris9642

It most definitely is 8 across the row as a whole is not staggered ?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I always call EK F Class as EK Funeral Class. Because you know what a coffin feels like when you get in the suite and they close the door.

On the sectors I have done I have found EK service to be indifferent. Wine selections are show off bling ones. Anything by Moët is bling with no real flavour.
They never close the door... the door is controlled by the passenger.

Of course, the £6 wines on BA F are far better than the selection on EK
VSLover and m3red like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.