Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Classy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by catcher1
+1. I'm surprised at how many here condone this sort of thing.
Yes indeed - I am both surprised and disappointed. In fact there are many who seem to view the publication of the photograph as being just as worthy of condemnation if not worse. I fail to see why, since he is not identifiable.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It's an airline lounge that provides couches. Often there are passengers who have traveled long distances, had their sleep disrupted, are facing a lengthy layover, have a medical conditions, etc. so it's hardly a surprise someone would have a nap. I've done it and will do it again.
Go ahead, but there are those of us who will consider it deplorable behavior. Clearly, my mother set different standards for me than yours did for you.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Go ahead, but there are those of us who will consider it deplorable behavior. Clearly, my mother set different standards for me than yours did for you.
If sleep is required sleep it is of infinitely greater importance than the approbation of anonymous strangers in an airport lounge. Your opinion, that of your mother and various self-appointed hall monitors are entirely inconsequential. The only opinion that might matter is that of the lounge attendants who are in charge and so far not one has objected to my conduct.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Nobody from this Forum would do that ... they know they will be publically shamed.
For travelling WT or for putting their feet up?
T8191 and rickg523 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:27 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My Mother would have killed me or my Father for good measure if he had even dreamed of doing such a thing. She also considered eating in the street, without a knife of fork to be common. She and my Dad were sticklers for good manners, and table manners in particular. I fear that my Father,( inspired by my Mother) would have probably tackled him head on as the rest of us would pray for the ground to open up. They were afraid of nothing and nobody. I wish that I had half their robustness of character.

I fear it is the fact that well mannered people let the ill-mannered get away with this sort of thing that allows this to become unsurprising. This is, in fairness, mild in spite of its uncouth nature. I have seen far worse, most of which I simply cannot post here.
T8191, gypsyjaney and catcher1 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
If sleep is required sleep it is of infinitely greater importance than the approbation of anonymous strangers in an airport lounge. Your opinion, that of your mother and various self-appointed hall monitors are entirely inconsequential. The only opinion that might matter is that of the lounge attendants who are in charge and so far not one has objected to my conduct.
I would suggest that you forget about the "approbation of anonymous strangers" (and by the way, are some strangers not anonymous?) and develop some self-respect. THAT is of infinitely greater importance in my view.
PUCCI GALORE and StingWest like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
@ PUCCI ... social standards and upbringing have changed dramatically in our lifetimes. Whilst we may try to retain ‘that wot i was taught’, the sad fact is that we are now massively outnumbered by ‘them wot weren’t’.

(Not that I’m suggesting you are as old as I am, but you get the idea, I’m sure)
PUCCI GALORE and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I would suggest that you forget about the "approbation of anonymous strangers" (and by the way, are some strangers not anonymous?) and develop some self-respect. THAT is of infinitely greater importance in my view.
What is of "infinitely greater importance" in your "view" is entirely irrelevant. My preferred option is to be well-rested for the next leg of my journey and shall not trouble myself with the irrelevant fretting of judgmental fusspots whose opinions are of no consequence whatsoever.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Yeoman5

From the LHR F lounge earlier this week
Complaining on FT after the fact is all well and good, but I‘m curious what the lounge staff said when you brought this to their attention.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:25 pm

Inconsequential and irrelevant though it may be, this is about respect for others. I could not care tuppence if someone falls asleep. What this was all about was someone asleep or otherwise with his shoes on the armrest. What they do at home is , thank God, no concern of mine. Once it is in a public place where other people will come into contact with that arm - yes it does concern others.Had he been been in the sofa with his feet on the floor no one would have taken any notice.
StingWest and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
What is of "infinitely greater importance" in your "view" is entirely irrelevant. My preferred option is to be well-rested for the next leg of my journey and shall not trouble myself with the irrelevant fretting of judgmental fusspots whose opinions are of no consequence whatsoever.
Everyone here is entitled to an opinion, whether you agree with it or not. Such is the world of the www.

As to 'well-rested', I guess an impending business meeting might justify the nap. Or alternatively better flight schedules. I'm only guessing, but he's not dressed for a high level conference.

At 70+ I've survived a 36-hour door-to-door 5-sector run home (OGG-LAX-CLT-DUB-LHR/LGW-JER) without behaving like that (actually over 48h from getting out of bed in OGG). Not sure whether the 2 night sectors alleviated sleep-deprivation, as OGG-LAX launched at 2300.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28738886-post4.html
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Moderator notice

This is a polite reminder of our rules of engagement.

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal a

Your cooperation will be much appreciated.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Inconsequential and irrelevant though it may be, this is about respect for others. I could not care tuppence if someone falls asleep. What this was all about was someone asleep or otherwise with his shoes on the armrest. What they do at home is , thank God, no concern of mine. Once it is in a public place where other people will come into contact with that arm - yes it does concern others.Had he been been in the sofa with his feet on the floor no one would have taken any notice.
I think there are a few words that some of us tend to like avoiding in modern days somehow.

Self-discipline (or discipline in general);
and
Consideration towards others.

I think some of the oldies amongst us (myself included) had those things drummed into us from a very early age.
Another one for me was "privileges come with additional obligations towards others".
PUCCI GALORE, HIDDY, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think there are a few words that some of us tend to like avoiding in modern days somehow.

Self-discipline (or discipline in general);
and
Consideration towards others.

I think some of the oldies amongst us (myself included) had those things drummed into us from a very early age.
Another one for me was "privileges come with additional obligations towards others".
Well said Dear. That should be a mantra for us all.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite

Complaining on FT after the fact is all well and good, but I‘m curious what the lounge staff said when you brought this to their attention.
Who complained?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.