Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Classy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
The photo shows best the situation and has the good sense to leave off the man's face.

Shoes on is slobbish to me. However, I'll presume innocence due to cultural ignorance and/or health reasons such as Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)

Preventing Blood Clots
Wear loose-fitting clothes, socks, or stockings.
Raise your legs 6 inches above your heart from time to time.
Wear special stockings (called compression stockings) if your doctor prescribes them.
Do exercises your doctor gives you.
Change your position often, especially during a long trip.
from ahrq.gov
Yes, good point - there might be an entirely reasonable explanation, hence the concern about publishing "show & shame" photos.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mvoight
It's not like that furniture is in great shape, is it? The picture shows a chair with very noticeable scratches in the wood, and the sofa shows worn through not leather
exactly my thought, not having been in such hallowed territory myself I’m somewhat surprised that it doesn’t meet my expectations of s Wetherspoons
twa777 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
He should take the shoes off, but people lie on their sofas at home, so why not in a lounge? If BA didn’t want the chance of so-called ‘slobbish’ behaviour in their lounges then they’d only provide single soft seater chairs.

For what it’s worth I find these ‘shaming’ photos incredibly boorish - the BA lounge has generally been a place to help and educate each other (and b*tch about CW) but shouldn’t really be a place to post pictures of your fellow travellers.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bullswood
Yes, good point - there might be an entirely reasonable explanation, hence the concern about publishing "show & shame" photos.
My thought from the get go was "what's to be ashamed of"? In an airport, that posture can not only make sense, it might be prescribed. As might standing around rather than sitting at the gate while waiting to be seated for hours on end. Another thing I've heard snarked at. (Not talking about lice; I mean that guy who queues correctly, but before the poster thinks is appropriate).
We're not talking about someone clipping their toenails here. Unless just out of frame there were three people wanting to sit there, this guy really has nothing to be ashamed of.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by mvoight
It's not like that furniture is in great shape, is it? The picture shows a chair with very noticeable scratches in the wood, and the sofa shows worn through not leather
And it sofa looks to be missing a button too. In the First lounge, this is what caught my eye as being shameful
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
To the OP, did you do anything beyond snapping a picture and posting it here? After the taking the picture did you go over, wake him and rebuke him for his behavior? Failing that did you bring his conduct to the attention of the lounge attendants so they could remedy the situation if they so chose?

In the absence of any immediate action, the individual will continue his behavior next time. Even in the unlikely event he sees this thread his face isn't visible so any social media shaming will be minimal to non-existent. So other than expressions of dismay and other assorted posturing in this thread nothing of consequence was accomplished.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
How do you shame somebody that nobody knows?

The pic is nothing but informative of human nature
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Did he/she/it have fish lips, LV bags and a boarding pass to Dubai?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by LCY8737
I'm not a big fan of the underside of shoes touching the same surfaces that my bare skin touches. At the same time, taking pictures of people to post on the Internet is just rude...
I think you've missed the entire purpose of the Internet.
DCAFly likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Originally Posted by eugegall
Really? Do you think it's ok for Janet, who is going on her first holiday in two years to sit on the same sofa with her arm resting where this selfish mans feet once were.

Janet is wearing white and this top is now dirty = life ruined!

Do you think Janet thinks it's acceptable to have shoes on the arm of a pubic sofa?
Yeah I think Janet will be fine.
If janet is such a germaphobe she probably shouldn’t be flying in an airplane. The airplane seat has probably been farted in over a thousand times.
Also people’s hands and cell phones are likely more dirty than feet.
would you take issue to a cell phone sitting on the armrest?

$100 says the op was to scared to say anything to the individual but has no problem posting pictures on the internet to shame behind a keyboard.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I see someone in the background of the photo with two big bags and another. I hope he/she was just carrying the 2nd big bag for someone else and they weren't all his/hers.

As for the photo of the person hogging the sofa and with his/her feet (or ankles, depending on one's perspective...) on the armrest, it's not really identifiable without the face so I don't really think it's that terrible to post it even though it's not exactly the best of manners (neither is hogging the sofa with feet/ankles on the armrest).
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I strongly suspect that the Moral Highground protagonsits who consider that taking photographs of a slob like this to be reprehensible are concerned that next time it could be them. My own thoughts are that if you conduct yourself in a public place in a manner that is considered uncouth by most people then in a world where everyone is equipped with a phone, then you are asking for this to be all over the Internet. If the picture was in anyway falsified if untrue that would be very wrong.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:35 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I strongly suspect that the Moral Highground protagonsits who consider that taking photographs of a slob like this to be reprehensible are concerned that next time it could be them. My own thoughts are that if you conduct yourself in a public place in a manner that is considered uncouth by most people then in a world where everyone is equipped with a phone, then you are asking for this to be all over the Internet. If the picture was in anyway falsified if untrue that would be very wrong.
Thank god for Puccini. Someone not afraid to tell it like it is. This is a reflection on today’s standards of behaviour and and it amazes me that someone pointing out this slobbish behaviour becomes the bad guy and guess what it’s BA’s fault for having settee that are old and scratched. Yes you can do this at home but that’s your domain. This is a public place and not a dosshouse
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Honie
....However, as someone who suffers a bad lower back and arthritis my immediate thought was what a soothing position this is if I’m in pain so I do wonder if he was in pain and trying to head it off....
It’s also a soothing position when you are suffering from trapped wind (after too much champagne). Notice the strategically placed cushion. That person is being very considerate of other lounge users.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:10 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

As someone mention, this could be a soothing position. If my autoimmune disease flares up right after a flight (as it might unfortunately happen) I might take comfort in this position to soothe the pain. I would certainly not asked for me to be on the Internet.
So no, some might truly believe that taking a picture of someone and posting it in a public place is simply morally reprehensible. It is also illegal in several jurisdiction. So the idea that "next time it could be them" is ludicrous and probably tell more about yourself than people genuinely thinking that the OP itself is not a classy act.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.