Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Not booking luggage to final destination - question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry

I notice BA have a warning about this on the booking confirmation.

I'm redeeming a Amex 2-4-1 Voucher, GLA-LHR-MIA in First.

Hypothetical question, If just checked luggage GLA-LHR. and collected at LHR, purely for the purpose of then using the First check in at LHR, (hence checking LHR-MIA), would this cause an issue? (Both flights are the same day)

(Would have no intention of doing similar on the return)

Just curious
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can use the First Wing AND leave your bags through checked. In the GLA-MIA direction that would be bonkers. In the MIA-GLA direction it would sensible and what CWS and many others do every time. Your baggage will follow via the magic of Ready to Fly whenever and however you get to T5 airside.

GLA probably would give you the option to short check, though strictly speaking it would need an overnight option. In the MIA-UK direction they probably won't give you the option. The message is actually to cover very different circumstances to the one you are asking about, such as when there is a codeshare or other airline mid sector and they then endeavour to enforce their policies.

[Nice to see a longstanding typo has been corrected on BA.com!]
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can use the First Wing AND leave your bags through checked. In the GLA-MIA direction that would be bonkers. In the MIA-GLA direction it would sensible and what CWS and many others do every time. Your baggage will follow via the magic of Ready to Fly whenever and however you get to T5 airside.]
MIA is T3.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

And of course if short checking to lhr you would need to take them to terminal 3 where the Mia flight leaves from (no first wing at t3)

Regards

Tbs
Thrifty Scotsman likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
As others have said, with a T3 departure to MIA, you won't be using the T5 First Wing on the outbound. And even if it were a T5 departure, a DOM-INT connection just has a boarding pass check at Flight Connections, so it would be odd to subject yourself to another, unnecessary security check at the First Wing.

But if you're not a regular user of it and want to experience it, then as CWS has noted, go landside on your return and use it for your flight up to GLA. That's definitely my preferred method as it's a nicer experience than Flight Connections IMHO. The usual caveat here is that if you are short on time, go the Flight Connections route as it is quicker to get the conformance checkpoint, which has to be 35 minutes before your GLA departure.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Very good point which I never considered. (So that rules that option out for me)

As MIA flight departs from T3, does that then rule out Concorde Room access at T5? (If yes, what's the options for T3?)

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi.

And of course if short checking to lhr you would need to take them to terminal 3 where the Mia flight leaves from (no first wing at t3)

Regards

Tbs
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
As MIA flight departs from T3, does that then rule out Concorde Room access at T5? (If yes, what's the options for T3?)
Sadly yes it rules it out for the outbound leg. Tho fear not, you have many excellent options in T3. See here: Best T3 OneWorld Lounge

You can use the CCR on your return on the trip up to GLA by presenting your inbound F boarding pass.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I think this warning is more for those that do this if partner flights are Involved where there is the possibility of luggage fees applying.

Bags checked AAA-BBB-CCC = no fee but check them in at BBB then if that airline charges then you will be too.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, so I effectively have the choice of 3 on the outward leg?

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Sadly yes it rules it out for the outbound leg. Tho fear not, you have many excellent options in T3. See here: Best T3 OneWorld Lounge

You can use the CCR on your return on the trip up to GLA by presenting your inbound F boarding pass.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
7!

If in F you can use BA/AA/CX F lounges and BA/AA/CX/QF J lounges
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:48 am

3 First Lounges (Cathay, American, BA) and 4 Business Lounges (Cathay, American, BA, Qantas)

General consensus on the forum seems to be that Cathay F is the best choice and it's certainly a lovely space. But of course you don't have to limit yourself to one - you're fully entitled to try them all, so if you have time maybe do that and make up your own mind!

EDIT: Beaten to it. That fish is not only mad but fast
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Certainly softens the blow a bit !
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
And, if you are GLA based, fly from INV instead and save Ł156 per person in APD. You can return to GLA.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I think this warning is more for those that do this if partner flights are Involved where there is the possibility of luggage fees applying.

Bags checked AAA-BBB-CCC = no fee but check them in at BBB then if that airline charges then you will be too.
Thanks for this explanation, I was trying to understand the point of this warning (as distinct from a warning about flying all segments etc)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BertieBadger

This is wrong, I recently had a CPH to LHR to SEA routing which had me land at T5 and Leave at T5. If you go into Terminal 5 before transferring to terminal 3 you will not be marked ready to fly and be able to access the concorde lounge. Once you enter terminal 3 you are marked ready to fly and cannot leave.

I was able to do the reverse upon landing at T5 I immediately transferred to T3 to check out the Cathay and Qantas Lounges, I then was able to transfer back to T5 without any issue. Just make sure to leave sufficient time for the bus transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.