Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Not booking luggage to final destination - question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not booking luggage to final destination - question?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kbooks66
This is wrong, I recently had a CPH to LHR to SEA routing which had me land at T5 and Leave at T5. If you go into Terminal 5 before transferring to terminal 3 you will not be marked ready to fly and be able to access the concorde lounge. Once you enter terminal 3 you are marked ready to fly and cannot leave.

I was able to do the reverse upon landing at T5 I immediately transferred to T3 to check out the Cathay and Qantas Lounges, I then was able to transfer back to T5 without any issue. Just make sure to leave sufficient time for the bus transfer.
what BertieBager noted was entirely correct, with an onward bp for a flight departing from t3 you can’t access the airside departures area in T5 where the ccr is - unless you have some significant manual intervention from ba.

what has been done sometimes is on arriving at T5 from another flight people will go to t3 to access to the lounges there before departing T5. Not something I would recommend due to timing and general faff tbh. T3 does not have ready to fly.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
This is wrong, I recently had a CPH to LHR to SEA routing which had me land at T5 and Leave at T5. If you go into Terminal 5 before transferring to terminal 3 you will not be marked ready to fly and be able to access the concorde lounge. Once you enter terminal 3 you are marked ready to fly and cannot leave.

I was able to do the reverse upon landing at T5 I immediately transferred to T3 to check out the Cathay and Qantas Lounges, I then was able to transfer back to T5 without any issue. Just make sure to leave sufficient time for the bus transfer.
Sorry, but I don't follow this at all. The question was whether the OP could use the CCR on the outbound, flying on a GLA-LHR-MIA ticket.

After coming off the Glasgow flight they won't be able to get airside Terminal 5 because they will have no valid BP for a T5 departure to present at the Flight Connections check, and at that point they will be directed to T3.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:00 pm

Deleted
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:36 pm

Apparently this is OW policy. February 2019. MCT-DOH-LGW-MLA (single ticket). MCT-DOH-LGW on QR J; LGW-MLA on BA J. Overnight at LGW. Checking in at MCT with very pleasant agent. Asked her to check my bag only to LGW and I'd recheck it the following morning. She tried, but was unable to do so due to OW policy. Needless to say, my bag didn't make it to MLA for another 24 hours.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KARFA

what BertieBager noted was entirely correct, with an onward bp for a flight departing from t3 you can’t access the airside departures area in T5 where the ccr is - unless you have some significant manual intervention from ba.

what has been done sometimes is on arriving at T5 from another flight people will go to t3 to access to the lounges there before departing T5. Not something I would recommend due to timing and general faff tbh. T3 does not have ready to fly.
Hmmm, well I had no issue doing it in the reverse. I was able to go from T5 to T3 just to access lounges. I landed at T5 took a transfer bus to T3. When my boarding pass was checked at T3 they said make sure you give yourself enough time to get back to T5 and let me into T3.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by madfish
And, if you are GLA based, fly from INV instead and save £156 per person in APD. You can return to GLA.
Surely too much hassle just to save that amount of money?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Surely too much hassle just to save that amount of money?
I’d be quite happy to spend £10 and 2 hours on a train for the saving. Seems like I am not alone as many others are doing likewise - even doing B2Bs from London.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lamphs
Apparently this is OW policy. February 2019. MCT-DOH-LGW-MLA (single ticket). MCT-DOH-LGW on QR J; LGW-MLA on BA J. Overnight at LGW. Checking in at MCT with very pleasant agent. Asked her to check my bag only to LGW and I'd recheck it the following morning. She tried, but was unable to do so due to OW policy. Needless to say, my bag didn't make it to MLA for another 24 hours.
I would have pushed back against that agent. The OW policy is that an airline does not need to interline baggage across multiple tickets. The question of short-checking is up to each airline I believe and when there is an overnight layover I have never been denied by any airline. It’s perfectly logical to want your stuff back for your overnight hotel layover.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I think this warning is more for those that do this if partner flights are Involved where there is the possibility of luggage fees applying.

Bags checked AAA-BBB-CCC = no fee but check them in at BBB then if that airline charges then you will be too.
Oh I always thought this message was warning people not to drop the last leg of an ex-EU.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sxc
Oh I always thought this message was warning people not to drop the last leg of an ex-EU.
No, this message also appears on trips where hidden city pricing cannot apply, such as LHR-MAN-INV (and where it is a valid point to highlight the baggage restrictions of Loganair).
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Hmmm, well I had no issue doing it in the reverse. I was able to go from T5 to T3 just to access lounges. I landed at T5 took a transfer bus to T3. When my boarding pass was checked at T3 they said make sure you give yourself enough time to get back to T5 and let me into T3.
And in fact KARFA notes in their reply that it is possible to do this (using the flight connections route), albeit with a certain amount of hassle.

However, as you note yourself this is the reverse of what the OP needs to do and just because you can do it in one 'direction' does not automatically mean you can successfully do it in reverse - you cannot. The systems are different. T5 uses "Ready to Fly" and a regular passenger will not pass the checks without a valid T5 boarding pass and so they cannot get to the departure lounges, including the CCR.

This issue has cropped up before (and I had a personal interest in it as for Mrs BertieB's first First, we booked EDI-LHR-YVR), and has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. For one fairly recent example see here:
Using T5 when departing from T3

You may note the final post by Vasco Pridat where they report successfully doing what you did - i.e. using the T3 lounges on a T5 layover, but that they are denied access to T5 without a valid T5 boarding pass, which is the situation the OP will find themselves in on the outbound flight to MIA.

Hope that helps to clarify matters.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by madfish

I’d be quite happy to spend £10 and 2 hours on a train for the saving. Seems like I am not alone as many others are doing likewise - even doing B2Bs from London.
.Fares and journey times to Inverness have certainly come down since I last used the train on that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.