Chase 241 question

Old Mar 25, 19, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Chase 241 question

To begin ... I did search but didn't find the answers .....
1. we are planning a 241 trip PHX >LHR>CDG return. Is it possible to spend 3-4 days in London on one of the trips or do they require an uninterrupted journey?
2. I'm guessing booking an open jaw 241 requires a call to BA .... since this can't be accomplished on the BA site, do they charge a fee for phone assistance?
3. I've heard there is a tax charged passengers flying into London ... we will be initially flying to Paris but possible returning home from London ... if there is a tax, does it apply to people departing London (example: Fly to Paris but get an open jaw ticket and return to the US from LHR)?

Thanks .... this forum is a wonderful resource. We only fly BA once a year and it does get a little confusing!!!!!
Old Mar 25, 19, 9:20 pm

I think I am correct. You are allowed a large number of days layover in London, coming or going to your next destination (Paris). Yes, you need to call BA to do this and sometimes they charge for the service and sometimes they realize you can’t do it online and the wave the fee. It is useful to go online and identify the flights you want, see if there are reward seats available, and note them so you can tell customer service what you want. Finally there is a significant departure tax built into your 241 ticket. Your flights to and from Paris most likely require a plane change in London.
Last Oct, we flew Club World Dulles to London to Jordan, then Egypt to London, stayed in London about 10 days, and returned to Dulles. Taxes and fees were about $1200 total for business class.
Old Mar 25, 19, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewaz View Post
<snip>
3. I've heard there is a tax charged passengers flying into London ... we will be initially flying to Paris but possible returning home from London ... if there is a tax, does it apply to people departing London (example: Fly to Paris but get an open jaw ticket and return to the US from LHR)?
The UK APD applies to departures only from most UK airports, including LHR. APD does not apply to arrivals or transits.
For business class it is a noticeable sum of money.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Judy795 View Post
I think I am correct. You are allowed a large number of days layover in London, coming or going to your next destination (Paris). Yes, you need to call BA to do this and sometimes they charge for the service and sometimes they realize you canít do it online and the wave the fee. It is useful to go online and identify the flights you want, see if there are reward seats available, and note them so you can tell customer service what you want. Finally there is a significant departure tax built into your 241 ticket. Your flights to and from Paris most likely require a plane change in London.
Last Oct, we flew Club World Dulles to London to Jordan, then Egypt to London, stayed in London about 10 days, and returned to Dulles. Taxes and fees were about $1200 total for business class.
A few corrections:
1. You do not need to call BA to book a layover in London. It can easily be done on-line.
2. The phone booking fee is not waived simply because "you can't do it online." The waiver only occurs if you CAN usually do it online, but that functionality is temporarily broken.
3. All flights from the US to LHR to Paris involve two separate flights and a change of planes.
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post

A few corrections:
1. You do not need to call BA to book a layover in London. It can easily be done on-line.
2. The phone booking fee is not waived simply because "you can't do it online." The waiver only occurs if you CAN usually do it online, but that functionality is temporarily broken.
3. All flights from the US to LHR to Paris involve two separate flights and a change of planes.
@Judy795 was answering the OP's second question (open-jaw) in relation to calling to book. It was not related to booking flights with a layover.
Old Mar 26, 19, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
@Judy795 was answering the OP's second question (open-jaw) in relation to calling to book. It was not related to booking flights with a layover.
Judy795 wrote as follows: "You are allowed a large number of days layover in London, coming or going to your next destination (Paris). Yes, you need to call BA to do this ...".

99.9 percent of the readers of this post would conclude that Judy is telling us that a phone call is necessary to book a layover. The phrase "to do this" is clearly referring to the activity in the immediately prior sentence, namely, booking a layover. I posted merely to correct that incorrect advice, hoping to save those readers (and the OP) an unnecessary phone call and an unnecessary booking fee. I stand by my advice.

To get technical, this is a textbook application of the rule of grammatical construction known as "the last antecedent rule." The pronoun "this" must be interpreted as referencing the immediately preceding noun "layover."
Old Mar 26, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
APD - Airport Departure Tax is as the name suggests, incurred on departing from the UK by air. It is determined by several factors, the most significant being how far you are travelling. All other things being equal, your trip will be cheaper if you stopover in the UK on the way to Paris (APD due for a short haul flight) than on the way back from Paris (APD due on a long haul flight).

UK adult APD for short haul in business = £78pp
UK adult APD for long haul in business = £172pp

So the difference isn't a dealbreaker exactly but it's a couple of hundred quid if you're not too concerned when you do the stopover.
Steve in Olympia and drewaz like this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: BA G, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Originally Posted by drewaz View Post
Just on your 3rd question - it's not a tax for "flying into London" but a departure tax levied by UK Government. It applies if you spend >24h in the UK on a stay/stopover. In your case, the most economical way to cover both London & Paris on same 2-for-1, would be to fly into London, spend your time in UK, then fly onto Paris (short haul dep tax applies) and do your time there. Finally, fly back from CDG-LHR-PHX on same day, such that you don't get hit for the longhaul UK departure tax, which in anything other than flat Economy (so applies in Prem Econ, Club & First), is 172UKL per person ( https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-an...ssenger-duty). There is a French departure tax you will be hit for, but it is less. As a family of 3 we've typically saved around $400 all together, by avoiding UK departure tax on such flights, and starting our return to US from somewhere outside UK. Suggest making a few dummy bookings so you can see how much you might save, then you can judge if it's worth it.
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post
Judy795 wrote as follows: "You are allowed a large number of days layover in London, coming or going to your next destination (Paris). Yes, you need to call BA to do this ...".
99.9 percent of the readers of this post would conclude that Judy is telling us that a phone call is necessary to book a layover.

That's how I read it. However, unless the OP had other intent with question 2 (it's not 100% clear), I think he may be conflating the two separate issues of a layover and an open jaw.

FWIW, a layover can be taken care of online, while an open-jaw ticket cannot.

Complicating matters further, unless things have changed since the last time I booked one using a Chase companion award voucher, all segments in an open-jaw booking need to be from the same travel zone.

Edit: Ah, I see question 3 now, in which the OP goes further into the notion of doing an open jaw, which would be permitted with the Chase voucher, but wouldn't save the OP from APD with a stayover.
When we wanted to go LAX-LHR-AMS and then CPH-LHR-LAX, that was not permitted, and we instead did LAX-LHR-AMS and then LHR-LAX on the return, buying CE tickets from CPH-LHR separately.
Steve in Olympia likes this.

Last edited by mwalsh; Mar 26, 19 at 11:02 am
Old Mar 27, 19, 2:35 pm

While there is no dedicated thread on FT for the U.S.-based Chase/B.A. 2-4-1 Companion Voucher (although there should be), folks searching for relevant answers to their questions would be well served by following the thread for the U.K.-based Amex Companion Vouchers.... because the two programs are virtually identical. The Amex thread includes a well-developed wiki.
BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion