Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shaving handles and airport security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by expataus
If I carry a shaving handle (a piece of wood with a space for a safety razor blade), with any blade/cartridge removed (and not in my carryon luggage at all), would you consider that a weapon?

This handle has probably passed through about 40 airports before today’s confiscation and I’m wondering the actual policy (or interpretation of it) when it comes to taking parts of a blade on a BA plane?

For the record BA were beyond amazing in trying to convince security that they didn’t object to my carrying the handle of there was no blade present.
I shave with a safety razor and while I normally have it checked (because it has a blade in it), I think that sans blade it's ridiculous that they'd complain. Of course even coming from the land of useless TSA I marvel at Heathrow's awful security. I wonder if for your replacement DE, buying a three-piece so you can have the head separate from the handle so even the same overzealous muppet (to use a James May term) wouldn't figure it out.

Edit: Flyertalk changed their advertisement from a flight sim, to a cartridge razor, after I posted in this thread. Google Adsense is creepy.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Gig103

Edit: Flyertalk changed their advertisement from a flight sim, to a cartridge razor, after I posted in this thread. Google Adsense is creepy.
You have no idea....
expataus likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: B A Gold
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I had a small hex key removed at ICN because they said it was a "tool" and they were pointing at a spanner. I took my pen out of my jacket and showed him that. My pen is bigger and sharper. No joy, had to move on and simply buy more.

Don’t show them your Pen! At CAN in China they confiscated my Bellroy Pen that is tiny and designed to hold in centre of travel wallet. Been through 300 + airports with that including CAN 20 + times and never an issue.

My biggest shocker so far however was my son having a tennis ball 🎾 confiscated at Orlando. Still haven’t worked that one out 😂
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
The airport in this case was in Asia. I was frustrated because I passed through that exact checkpoint with that exact handle multiple times this year.

The reason given by the manager of the checkpoint was that they were confiscating the handle because it violated the policy of the airline.

As it was a handmade item of some small value, I asked them to prove this violated the policy of BA. They decided to send for BA ground staff who were very friendly in explaining to security that they were completely fine with me taking the handle in my carry-on luggage, played translator for me and were all-around lovely.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Well that's a new one to me, I've done a lot of flights with my Mach 3 turbo razor (complete with head) in my hand baggage, and no ones ever batted an eyelid! If they ever pick up on anything in my toiletries it tends to be talc...
Maybe they thought you might be trying to giving someone cancer (note recent lawsuits against johnson and johnson)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:50 pm

I hope the op isn’t getting served this add at the bottom of the thread, talk about salt in the wounds! 😉 Ps. Op, I share your pain, never nice to loose anything of sentimental value in these circumstances.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Originally Posted by YacozA

Think you just need to move on... realise that giving certain security people an ounce of power can create an interesting power dynamic
This post is the only advice you need. Accept the decision and move on with your journey.
HMPS and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Joshm300

I hope the op isn’t getting served this add at the bottom of the thread, talk about salt in the wounds! 😉 Ps. Op, I share your pain, never nice to loose anything of sentimental value in these circumstances.
I’m also getting that ad. Which is strange as I’ve never searched for men’s razors on this device.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex Premier
I'm confused - was it returned to you after BA's intervention or not?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Well that's a new one to me, I've done a lot of flights with my Mach 3 turbo razor (complete with head) in my hand baggage, and no ones ever batted an eyelid! If they ever pick up on anything in my toiletries it tends to be talc...

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I think it comes down to a degree of interpretation by security staff as to what constitutes a weapon - could a razor with blade removed still be perceived as a threat by somebody in the spur of the moment? Plus, and as much as I dislike ‘security theatre’, I do see the logic in there being deliberate inconsistency so that people can’t find neat workarounds. A PITA for travellers but, honestly, if you’ve got away with it for years then chances of it happening again are probably slim.
Best to surrender it ! When you think about it, the ball point pens we carry can do fatal damage too !

Originally Posted by gilfiom
I'm confused - was it returned to you after BA's intervention or not?
Yes, do tell.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
These are, after all, the same people who told me that my 100ml bottles of grooming product were fine because I'd created labels for them myself with a label maker, but my wife's were not because she hadn't bothered to label them.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by YacozA
Had a similar occurrence with a carabiner I had carried for about 15 years; through numerous security checkpoints world-wide; before MAD security decided it wasn't acceptable.

Think you just need to move on... realise that giving certain security people an ounce of power can create an interesting power dynamic
I have had this occur with a carabiner, too. The security chap seemed to think it would be used as a knuckleduster.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL
- At LHR T5, a tiny pair of scissors that had been through LHR several times before: "But have you taken them through Terminal 5 before?"
- At BOM domestic security, a tiny bottle of Angostura bitters: "You have stuck this label on yourself."
- At MAD flight connections security for LHR-MAD-VLC, a set of cutlery from J given to me by the cabin crew on the A340 service: "But they GIVE this to you on the plane!" "No es possible".
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by flyslow
Same thing with zero tolerance for lighters in Chinese airports, haven't had an issue anywhere else.
Barbados - not permitted
St Kitts - not permitted

Though at both security checks once they found one in my liquids bag, the stopped looking for more....which I had in a different pocket of my wheelie bag.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:23 am

At the same time I'm surprised that it's allowed to bring knitting needles almost everywhere
Can I bring my knitting needles onto a plane? | CreaCrafts Blog

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.