Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Avios / TP credit for Gold Upgrades via travel agents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Avios / TP credit for Gold Upgrades via travel agents

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I’m not affected but I do feel the retrospective adjustment is a bit tough on anyone relying on the past custom and practice to get to a new status or renewal if flights fall between now and 8 April/May.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:06 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

just made a guf2 booking via propeller expecting more avios

Last edited by clubeurope; Mar 26, 2019 at 3:11 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I first benefitted from this in 2003/4 so it must be one of the longest lived loopholes in the BA universe. While disappointing to see it go I can hardly blame BA for changing it. Do I wonder what triggered it, beyond getting to the top of the to do list for someone in a continuous improvement team.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by clubeurope
just made a guf2 booking via propeller expecting more avios

I'll just credit it to MPC then where it appears they still credit to A class miles for F.
if the selling class is adjusted back to the underlying pre-upgraded level which seems to be happening in many cases won’t it credit as the business selling class to MPC?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:24 am

Mods please delete

Last edited by clubeurope; Mar 26, 2019 at 3:10 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:39 am

Either way, this is really really disappointing
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
It is loophole which has been nice while it lasted but have been expecting this to be closed. I have not counted on the extra TP for status levels previously, this is likely to be the first year where the points difference would make a difference to me.

When you consider the impact this will have on IAGs bottom line they are scraping for the cost savings.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I think danielbk could find this impacts GUF bookings over time, though as he recently told my partner he loses money on them, he may be quietly pleased 😁
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'd never used this "benefit" and wasn't really aware it was possible - or had never really thought it through at least.

I guess some on here will be disappointed but I can understand why BA would want to close it down - if 3 x upgrade vouchers were used during the year, it could have meant 420 TPs being over-awarded (more on the super long-hauls). That's not insignificant.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
I think danielbk could find this impacts GUF bookings over time
Why should there be any impact on travel agencies? People use them not for extra TPs but because there is no reward availability. Being able to redeem these vouchers through travel agencies is the real benefit.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
People use them not for extra TPs but because there is no reward availability.
You are very incorrect in this statement.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
You are very incorrect in this statement.
What substance does your response add to the discussion? I can respond that you are very incorrect in your statement - will we go on like that forever? My point was that I see no significant impact on travel agencies.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
What substance does your response add to the discussion? I can respond that you are very incorrect in your statement - will we go on like that forever? My point was that I see no significant impact on travel agencies.
Not much in the grand scheme of things, but the reality does not always align to your black and white world. Yes, many of the people using a TA to process a GUF to open up revenue availability when there is no reward availability as I have done in the past. However, even if there is reward availability, I do know people (including myself) to use a TA to process a GUF into revenue buckets since the small TA charge outweighs the benefit of additional TPs and Avois (both of which have a value, the latter more so).

However, stepping back, it was always an error and with all errors they come to an end. I doubt it is going to make a significant difference to status earning - GGL/CCRs will still be able to hit this threshold relatively easily without this error working in their favour.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Not much in the grand scheme of things, but the reality does not always align to your black and white world. Yes, many of the people using a TA to process a GUF to open up revenue availability when there is no reward availability as I have done in the past. However, even if there is reward availability, I do know people (including myself) to use a TA to process a GUF into revenue buckets since the small TA charge outweighs the benefit of additional TPs and Avois (both of which have a value, the latter more so).
And I know such people as well, however, because of their small number I chose to disregard them for the purpose of discussing any possible impact on travel agents. Whether or not some people use travel agents solely for the purpose of extra TPs or Avios is irrelevant because of their number and because the instrument itself is quite rare, so BA awarding the correct number of TPs & Avios won't put anyone out of business.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GGL
I guess the bright side here is that it will make earning GGL much harder for many people, therefore reducing the number of GGL members. This, in turn, should allow BA to offer a more appropriate level of membership to the people spending the most money with the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.