Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tangey
Your suggestion that the despatcher may be at fault implies that there is a cross check system, and that there was a mess up this time in inplementing it. Your earlier reply suggested that there is no cross-check, that the plane/pilots plan and the ground crews plan are in isolation.
No. Despatcher that I am referring to is the person at WDL Ops that generates the flight plan based on loads and winds and files it. Not the gate agent who is also sometimes referred to as the dispatcdispatcher.

I'm speculating as much as anyone, with the addition of my knowledge of flight plan filing based in being a private pilot who has completed and filed flight plans. Those systems are run by ATC which is why my supposition that there's no connection. You can try poke holes in my speculation but since that's all it is it gets us nowhere nearer the truth
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Someone I know was on this flight and she said they sent out an email offering 10k avios. That seems quite low (but maybe I am spoiled by the US). Does anyone have ideas about the contact person in corporate she could escalate to? Or is complaining not in the Britons' nature like it is here?

Also, she said there were no pre-flight announcements once on the plane left the gate.

-DD
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
... the paperwork ...
I guess there are still lots of questions.

In the old days, the gate staff would be rushing to print off the passenger list on dot matrix printers as boarding was finishing. The many-folded paper would be torn of triumphantly - no jams, this time - and rushed to the aircraft.

Presumably this passenger list would have the flight number and destination on it.

What is the modern equivalent of this, especially when wet lease staff have no BA iPads/technology?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Dude
Someone I know was on this flight and she said they sent out an email offering 10k avios. That seems quite low (but maybe I am spoiled by the US).
Under law, she is entitled to 250 euros. Are the 10k Avios paid in addition to or instead of the 250 euros?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
I guess there are still lots of questions.

In the old days, the gate staff would be rushing to print off the passenger list on dot matrix printers as boarding was finishing. The many-folded paper would be torn of triumphantly - no jams, this time - and rushed to the aircraft.

Presumably this passenger list would have the flight number and destination on it.

What is the modern equivalent of this, especially when wet lease staff have no BA iPads/technology?
Probably just that, a dot matrix printout. But why would the crew take note of the printouts listed destination, if present? It's unlikely to be part of their checklist
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
No. Despatcher that I am referring to is the person at WDL Ops that generates the flight plan based on loads and winds and files it. Not the gate agent who is also sometimes referred to as the dispatcdispatcher.

I'm speculating as much as anyone, with the addition of my knowledge of flight plan filing based in being a private pilot who has completed and filed flight plans. Those systems are run by ATC which is why my supposition that there's no connection. You can try poke holes in my speculation but since that's all it is it gets us nowhere nearer the truth
I'm not poking holes, as per your response above, your earlier reply was ambiguous as to it's meaning, I assumed you were speaking about the ground despatcher, whereas you were speaking about a WDL employee. I asked my original question in the hope that someone with actual knowledge of the protocol and logistics could advise was this issue because of an error in a check that should have been made but wasn't, or because no such check happens
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Possibly mentioned earlier but did you see Ryanair's Twitter taunting on this backfired on them?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink
Possibly mentioned earlier but did you see Ryanair's Twitter taunting on this backfired on them?
Backfire? The BBC used that word too.

I think FR were just jealous that they werent being talked about. So the story becomes about them, and their cheap fares.

The BBC story was second-most read, at some stage.

Which was some nice free publicity.

Sealink likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.