Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
I've been on plenty of WDL private charter flights from CGN in the past and although the aircraft might be a little tired, they are not as bad as the JOTA aircraft that BA sometimes use at LCY. I assume that this'll cost WDL a fair bit either way!
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Deleted

Last edited by Robespierre; Mar 25, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thinking about the pilot asking who still wanted to go to DUS and being mocked for it it seems to be a perfectly sensible question as it’s possible that some ones trip was now in vain And BA could then return them to a LON airport of their choice on a later flight rather than making them go all the way to DUS.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Thinking about the pilot asking who still wanted to go to DUS and being mocked for it it seems to be a perfectly sensible question as it’s possible that some ones trip was now in vain And BA coukd the. Justreturns them to LON on a later flight rather than making them go all the way to DUS.
Very true - the report on PM this afternoon stated that someone did offload themselves in EDI because they'd missed their meeting anyway.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Very true - the report on PM this afternoon stated that someone did offload themselves in EDI because they'd missed their meeting anyway.
Then there was four.......😅
PAL62V likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:43 pm

Two and a half hours was a long time on the ground in EDI.

I wonder what they were doing for so long.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The pilot nipped out to the shops for a map?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk
Two and a half hours was a long time on the ground in EDI.

I wonder what they were doing for so long.
Having a series of very awkward phone calls? :-)
kaka, T8191, 26left and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cw novice
I wonder what the preflight announcement said. Surely someone would have pointed out to the flight attendant that it was Dusseldorf, not Edinburgh as the destination.

I suppose if this was announced as the dusseldorf flight by the pilot and then ended up in Edinburgh that would be even more worrying. A case of engaging the autopilot and cracking on.
Two years ago I was flying ATL - JFK on Delta. En route the pilot made an announcement about our flight time to LGA . Passengers and cabin crew all looked confused. Finally one of the FAs called the pilot who made another announcement apologizing and confirmed that we indeed were going to JFK.
scolbath likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
This mistake wouldn't happen if either:
(1) Pilots had to walk out to the gate and would've seen the signage.
(2) Flight attendant announcements (presumably DUS) can be heard by pilots.
(3) UK had outbound immigration checkpoints and gates would be different between domestic and international.
(4) UK required pilots to clear immigration like USCBP. Even US crew arriving LHR can skip UKBF and ride vans nonstop from gate to hotel. Apparently they deem crew manifest, API and US passports sufficient to skip inspection, which means it would be OK too for a EU pilot coming in from Schengen.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
ATL has digital signs on the outside of the terminal at each gate that are used to provide O&D information for the plane that is supposed to be at the specific gate. So the pilot can get one last cross check of destination as they're getting the tug away from the terminal.

I've had FAs flub it and start with a 'Welcome to Biloxi' just after wheels down at VPS, but then my home airport is a short spoke to regional hubs and the FAs working the flight do a lot of segments in a short period of time and I can understand losing track after the third or fourth airport of the day.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
This mistake wouldn't happen if either:
(3) UK had outbound immigration checkpoints and gates would be different between domestic and international.
(4) UK required pilots to clear immigration like USCBP. Even US crew arriving LHR can skip UKBF and ride vans nonstop from gate to hotel. Apparently they deem crew manifest, API and US passports sufficient to skip inspection, which means it would be OK too for a EU pilot coming in from Schengen.
these may not necessarily resolve this problem.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I love the amount of people trying to persuade us that they have homing pigeon instincts, gems like:

"I can't believe no one noticed they were going north not east"

"cant believe the crew didn't notice"

"Did no one notice they didn't cross water"

paraphrasing: what a bunch of idiots, i'd have noticed in seconds because light 32778 didnt flash and squwark ident 7763 on talk off followed by a 22 degree banking manoeuvre, once i'd noticed I'd have alerted the crew, the pilots and BA advanced remote control flying services with my portable BA GGL contacting secret pager and saved the day.

Sorry, I belong firmly in the camp of pretty much ZERO chance I'd have noticed. Christ when I'm sitting in a rear facing CW seat I have to pull up the moving map and twist my head 120 degrees to figure out what I'm looking at out of the window.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: VS Flying Club (Gold), BA Exec Club (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond)
Presumably since that aircraft and therefore WDL has done rotations to/from EDI previously, the sequence of events is likely that that captain & crew did a briefing before the outbound sector from DUS that they were doing DUS-LCY-EDI (and then presumably EDI-LCY-DUS) and they were all aligned for that.

BA don’t check BPs on boarding short haul and if the announcements were a bit lax on board it’s possible no one realised what happened!

I reckon it was an airport/ground staff issue rather than an error on the part of the crew.

I would like to think that I would have noticed we didn’t go over water if I was on there, but unless there was something obviously “wrong” (crew not doing service or looking confused or worried themselves) I don’t think I would have the gall to challenge it. I would like to thing my internal navigation and geography are on point but a recent flight into LGW took a totally different routing to what I thought we had done!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I honestly don’t think I’d have the foggiest until landing in Edinburgh. Layers of cloud look the same!

The cabin crew probably raised eyebrows about the number of German speakers on board!
Scots_Al and albpenny like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.