Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Cw novice
I wonder what the preflight announcement said. Surely someone would have pointed out to the flight attendant that it was Dusseldorf, not Edinburgh as the destination.
1) "Welcome aboard for this flight to Edinburgh."

2) Everyone starts laughing.

3) FA wonders what was so funny.
RoyalSwazi and ttama like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Fluzz
I know people have been wondering why no one seemed to pick up on it until landing, noting they wouldn't have crossed water etc.... However if that was me I would have been more in the "I'm going mad and there's no way I'm saying anything" camp than the "British Airways has sent us to the wrong country" camp... even if I had thought something was amiss, can you imagine?! "Excuse me, are you sure we are flying to Germany, looks like Northern England down there" would take some self-confidence in my book.
I would be like that, but I think people may have changed how they react post MH 370 - i'd have been wary and definitely asked cabin crew and possibly felt obliged to see if I could get a GPS tracking on my phone. Even if only 5 people on the flight (which we think is probably higher) surely someone would have noticed on a day like today? Maybe it's a case that as experienced travellers we react or believe we would react different to 'normal' or 'occasional' travellers. Intrigued when the full story comes out.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by rapidex
EU261 compo of 250 Euro will be hard for BA to deny. I would also want Avios and Tier points for the 3 sectors, LCY-EDI-LCY-DUS plus some more Avios. And as a plus a lounge visit at EDI
Well, it's certainly extraordinary - and it might be possible to claim "out of control" too!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Keystone
According to:
www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/british-airways-dusseldorf-flight-flown-to-edinburgh-by-mistake-17460

A WDL Aviation spokesperson added: “We are working closely with the authorities to investigate how the obviously unfortunate mix-up of flight schedules could occur.“At no time has the safety of passengers been compromised. We flew the five passengers on the flight with number BA3271 to Dusseldorf after the involuntary stopover in Edinburgh.”
Was talking to someone at on the flight and it was more than half full.

Last edited by Scotflyer80; Mar 25, 2019 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:42 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
The Flight plan was filed to EDI so the cockpit crew did nothing wrong - they flew the route which was assigned to them. If they had choosen the wrong pather after takeoff ATC would have called them within 20 seconds. So neither the cockpit crew nor the traffic control saw that "problem". Now it's possible that the cabin crew was briefed for DUS and therefore made the "correct" announcements for Düssedorf!
Can the flight deck hear announcements made in the cabin ?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Can the flight deck hear announcements made in the cabin ?
They can turn it down/off, or tune it out as they talk to each other or ATC - they usually listen with half an ear to make sure the safety announcement has been completed
BA Humbug likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
The $ 64000 question: Will those in the know be straight forward as to what happened ?
Or will we have a few more pages of conjectures ?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
EU261 compo of 250 Euro will be hard for BA to deny. I would also want Avios and Tier points for the 3 sectors, LCY-EDI-LCY-DUS plus some more Avios. And as a plus a lounge visit at EDI
The WDL lease is going to be a expensive one for BACF. The same aircraft was scheduled to operate another 3 flights for BACF today before returning to WDL’s CGN base.

Passengers booked on all 3 of these flightsare now also going to be entitled to compensation. The flights affected are:

BA3272 - DUS/LCY - Arrived LCY 4hrs 40mins late

BA3273 - LCY/DUS - Is still on the ground at LCY and is now expected to arrive in DUS 5hrs 55mins late

BA3274 - DUS/LCY - Flights has now been Cancelled.

YacozA and rapidex like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
News outlets are always glad of quirky stuff to help fill airtime / column inches, and they’ve certainly been making the most of this one today .......
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Somewhat surprised that the passengers would only have realised on landing. Turning right instead of left or vice versa after takeoff might have been a giveaway. As would imagine would be the moving map if there was one..
I assume there wasn't a moving map. But the sun would have been on the right of the plane, low over the horizon at that time, if they were flying north. Surely someone would have suspected that something was amiss?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by HMPS
The $ 64000 question: Will those in the know be straight forward as to what happened ?
Or will we have a few more pages of conjectures ?
Conjectures. Definitely conjectures...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:58 am

According to an interview with one pax on PM this evening, all announcements, boarding gate signs, etc were for DUS. They had no idea about EDI until near landing.

What I was wondering was if the flight crew had EDI or DUS on their rosters for the day? I assume that similar to LH, even SH crew know what their scheduled flights are for the period they are on shift.

I can't wait for BA to come up with some form of defence to prevent EC261.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:02 pm

I was on the BA8717 EDI-LCY yesterday afternoon which was operated by the exact same WDL plane (D-AMGL). The route was correctly flown and on time, but that's where the good news ended. I just about understand why BA occasionally needs to wet lease a plane to cover a shortfall, but I find it utterly shocking that it would choose to employ such a shabby outfit to operate on its behalf. The aircraft is 33 years old (!!) and has clearly not even had an interior refit in all of its existence. It's covered in cracks and dents, and the interior is yellow from when people used to smoke. The 3-3 seating configuration is incredibly cramped (BA used to have 2-3 in economy when it operated this type). The cabin crew were rude and dopey and spoke poor English (one of them kept asking, "Do you want someone to drink?"), and the captain looked about 75 years old and severely struggled to string a sentence together on the intercom. I can only assume that BA has completely given up on trying to protect its brand.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

It will be reported on Reporting Scotland at 625pm tonight

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Blue
As someone who enjoys looking out of the window it always surprises me how few seem to do so.
I also know a fair number of geographically challenged people!
SK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.