Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:20 am

Just thinking about whether any passengers noticed!

A few years ago we were on a package ski holiday and it was clear to me that the coach taking us to Innsbruck airport was heading on a motorway going west when we should have been going east.

I tried 3 times to tell the rep and even as we went past signs showing Innsbruck in the other direction getting further and further away I kept getting told the driver will know a shortcut. Eventually I persuaded her to let me show her where we were on google maps on my phone and she went to talk to the driver at which point we did a rapid u turn at the next exit. No one else noticed a thing (this was on a coach with road signed clearly visible) so not entirely surprised no one notice anything on a plane especially if there was cloud cover. And I think if they had noticed the FA would have said something similar!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
This mistake wouldn't happen if either:
(1) Pilots had to walk out to the gate and would've seen the signage.
(2) Flight attendant announcements (presumably DUS) can be heard by pilots.
(3) UK had outbound immigration checkpoints and gates would be different between domestic and international.
(4) UK required pilots to clear immigration like USCBP. Even US crew arriving LHR can skip UKBF and ride vans nonstop from gate to hotel. Apparently they deem crew manifest, API and US passports sufficient to skip inspection, which means it would be OK too for a EU pilot coming in from Schengen.
I doubt they’d have looked at the signage - they’d have been told their aircraft was on ‘stand x’ which is gate y and may well have been on ‘autopilot’.

I think the FAs and flight crew BOTH thought they were going to EDI. Presumably nobody listens to announcements and those that thought they heard Edinburgh would have either put it down to mis-hearing or an innocent error. “They couldn’t POSSIBLY be going to Edinburgh”.

Outbound checkpoints - would have made no difference as these passengers were checked in as going to Dusseldorf.

As far as BA ground staff, presumably including the dispatcher / TRM/C, were concerned the aircraft was going to Dusseldorf so I suspect it would have been handled as such. Also, it arrived inbound from DUS which would have added to confusion. Easy to overlook EDI on one piece of paper out of 10 in the real world.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
In response to a couple of points above, from a cabin crew perspective:
  • Passengers generally don’t listen to announcements
  • Cabin crew are too busy with service to look out of the windows, which are hard to see out of anyway when standing up
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Do CC actually look at Boarding passes? They certainly seem to when I board.

Surely all the pax had boarding passes clearly stating it was DUS? The crew should have noticed this i think, even if it was ground crew's fault and not the aircrew.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by amanx
Do CC actually look at Boarding passes? They certainly seem to when I board.

Surely all the pax had boarding passes clearly stating it was DUS? The crew should have noticed this i think, even if it was ground crew's fault and not the aircrew.
You obviously don't fly with BA very often as there is no need to show a boarding pass on BA short haul on board the aircraft and hasn't been for some time.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ptr120
You obviously don't fly with BA very often as there is no need to show a boarding pass on BA short haul on board the aircraft and hasn't been for some time.
Indeed and this is true of many airlines on short haul, KL and LH I think from memory do not look at boarding passes on entering the aircraft. LS and BE do look at boarding passes though.

I think the change for BA happened at least 3-4 years ago.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
I fly BA a lot, but mainly LH as they stopped flying from where i live aprt from one or 2 flights to LCY- and they check my BP when I board at lcy.. LCY is a bear to get to a LH airport. When BA last served my home AP, they always looked at boarding passes.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Easy only checks boarding passes in board from certain high risk destinations (i.e. high risk of someone attempting to evade border controls) or in situations that may have ambiguity (two flights boarding from adjacent gates with a shared path from the gates to the aircraft and similar situations). I seem to remember that's also true for BA, though I can't remember where I read that.

In situations where there is little ambiguity, little motivation to board the wrong aircraft, and little chance of confusion then most carriers don't check boarding passes at the aircraft door any more. An intra-EU flight from LCY definitely meets all these criteria.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by flatlander
Easy only checks boarding passes in board from certain high risk destinations (i.e. high risk of someone attempting to evade border controls) or in situations that may have ambiguity (two flights boarding from adjacent gates with a shared path from the gates to the aircraft and similar situations). I seem to remember that's also true for BA, though I can't remember where I read that.

In situations where there is little ambiguity, little motivation to board the wrong aircraft, and little chance of confusion then most carriers don't check boarding passes at the aircraft door any more. An intra-EU flight from LCY definitely meets all these criteria.
Of course the CC thought it was an intra-UK flight.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by jc94
Of course the CC thought it was an intra-UK flight.
Which of course is in the set of intra-EU flights (at time of occurrance).
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC "I'm blue Da ba dee da ba di", Skywards Blue, Miles & More (very passive)
Well, it's unlikely that they have to direct any passenger anywhere else than right on the A320 family.

I have only flown short haul on the 767 a few times and don't remember, did you get directions there?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I think the FAs and flight crew BOTH thought they were going to EDI.
Indeed....certainly hard to imagine the flight crew didn't!!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by aceman
Sorry, I belong firmly in the camp of pretty much ZERO chance I'd have noticed.
Same here, but that'd be because I'd have been fast asleep anyway.

Strictly speaking I'm pretty sure it was narrowbody aircraft on which the BP was not checked, but I'm pretty sure they were checked on widebody aircraft on short haul flights (e.g. 767 to/from ATH, IST etc.).
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: I'm not that important
My memory isn't what it used to be, but i'm sure in the late 80's, BA used to offer flights for ?£40 return, at weekends, but you didn't know the destination until you checked in at LHR - mind at least you knew the destination before you took off
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by aceman
Sorry, I belong firmly in the camp of pretty much ZERO chance I'd have noticed. Christ when I'm sitting in a rear facing CW seat I have to pull up the moving map and twist my head 120 degrees to figure out what I'm looking at out of the window.
But there weren't any rear-facing CW seats on this particular flight.

There's many more firmly in the camp who think there must have been someone in a window seat who wasn't dull enough not to notice that the scenery hadn't gone from green to blue to green again ….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.