Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA flight (op WDL Aviation) lands in Edinburgh instead of Dusseldorf by mistake

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I would like to think I would notice after a while that there was no water down there and then pull out my phone and use the GPS + offline maps to find out where I actually was.

Then I might start to get nervous and ask the crew some questions.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Sounds like a series of clerical errors that was fortunately led to only an annoyance for passengers rather than something that could affect flight safety.
blandy62, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Perhaps this just demonstrates that no one listens to announcements or looks out of the window anymore.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

As we haven't heard from anybody on board, I wonder if once they'd taken off, there was no going back? So, even if people had noticed the flight appeared to be going in the wrong direction, the crew were committed at that stage to fly the filed flight plan?
MarkFlies likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Cw novice
I wonder what the preflight announcement said. Surely someone would have pointed out to the flight attendant that it was Dusseldorf, not Edinburgh as the destination.
I suppose if this was announced as the dusseldorf flight by the pilot and then ended up in Edinburgh that would be even more worrying. A case of engaging the autopilot and cracking on.
My bolding

I was wondering about this too. Has anyone been on these WDL operated BA flights before and if so is it the SOP for the Captain/FO to chat to the passengers about weather etc at destination before takeoff like every BA operated flight I've been on? I'm sure the error would have been picked up then if it was the case.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
If the fuel uplift was similar to both destinations then they would have got to a position where it was probably more sensible to continue to EDI and talk to the, now, German provided ATC service there.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This could be an interesting mini-TP run if booked in Club.
ttama likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This could be an interesting mini-TP run if booked in Club.
One you wouldn't be claiming original routing credit for lol
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:05 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I like how the BA Twitter team tried to claim that "The flight has been diverted to Edinburgh" rather than admit they flew to the wrong airport!
Doesn't really say much for their geography skills if they really think Edinburgh would be a likely diversion airport for a route from LCY-DUS!
1010101 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can imagine the pilots not hearing or not paying attention to the FA announcements at the beginning of the flight, but usually a pilot gets onto the intercom early in the flight and mentions the destination at least once IMO.

I've been on flights where one of the early announcements naming the destination (IIEC by a FA) was strong but then was immediately corrected.

I'm also a bit puzzled how the pilots could have boarded without noticing the destination that was posted at the gate as they were verifying that they had arrived at the correct gate, but of course this wouldn't apply if they had just stayed on board the aircraft from a previous flight. When the GA lets pilots on board, wouldn't there be some verification of flight number and destination as well as the identity of crew members?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47691478

Must have been a fun flight

A British Airways flight destined for Dusseldorf in Germany has landed in Edinburgh by mistake, after the flight paperwork was submitted incorrectly.

The passengers only realised the error when the plane landed and the "welcome to Edinburgh" announcement was made.

The flight is now making its way from Edinburgh to Dusseldorf, BA says. German firm WDL Aviation ran the flight for BA as part of a leasing deal.

BA said it was working with WDL to find out why it filed the wrong flight plan.

"We have apologised to customers for this interruption to their journey and will be contacting them all individually," BA said in a statement.

It is not yet known how many passengers were affected by the mistake.

BA say the pilot wasn't lost at any point, but because the paperwork said Edinburgh, air traffic control allowed the flight to take that route.
Originally Posted by aristoph
lol One up from taking the cul de sac taxiway at MAN!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47691478
Originally Posted by flatlander
One up from the mistake announcements thread too.
Originally Posted by mcinverness
Wonder if the avios and TPs for both legs will be awarded
Having a rethink about MH370. Welcome to McMurdo(?)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:31 am

Further quotes on Beeb:

"The pilot then asked passengers to raise their hands if they wanted to go to Dusseldorf."

"Everyone raised their hands."

"The pilot said he had no idea how it had happened. He said it had never happened before and that the crew was trying to work out what we could do."

The fact that he had to ask if the passengers still wanted to go to Dusseldorf.....
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I can get how people would not have realised anything was amiss from looking out of the window, but I would have thought that a pre-flight announcement mentioning Edinburgh might have been noticed. Between the crew, pax and staff it really is quite remarkable that this happened. The "pilot not lost" quote is hilarious journo nonsense. Something has clearly gone very badly wrong here.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I’ll summarise the expected replies

1. How much compo will they get.

2. Everyone involved shoukd be sacked and then sacked again. Then be tutted at by Olivia Coleman.

not a good situation to get into though is it? I guess once it was enroute it couldn’t easily divert back to where it should have gone?
EU261 compo of 250 Euro will be hard for BA to deny. I would also want Avios and Tier points for the 3 sectors, LCY-EDI-LCY-DUS plus some more Avios. And as a plus a lounge visit at EDI
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by rapidex
EU261 compo of 250 Euro will be hard for BA to deny. I would also want Avios and Tier points for the 3 sectors, LCY-EDI-LCY-DUS plus some more Avios. And as a plus a lounge visit at EDI
They flew EDI-DUS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.