Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA upgrade questions (YYZ LHR) - Website issues and confusion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

I have a few questions regarding upcoming BA flights, I've tried to find the answers here but was not 100% successful.

Ideally I want to book PY YYZ LHR return next Christmas, and upgrade the outbound to J. After weeks of trying the website finally provided this to me with a cost of $2747 + 20k Avios. However, while it worked once it's now returning an error that there was a problem with your request just like it has been for ... pretty much the years I've been trying (literally). These attempts include several times a week for the last month. Is there any way to reliably make this work? Because I've probably tried 50 times this month and it worked... once.

However, if I book the same flight via BA, it's $1717 (app and website agree). Now while i understand I pay more taxes/fees with upgrading, $1k more seems incorrect based on it being insane even for BA, and also that if I examine a reward flight different between PY and J, the difference is $222 outbound - $502.91 (J) - $280.91 (PY). Oddly, the difference return is about $169 (cost is higher, difference is less); since when are YYZ premium differential costs higher than LHR?

I wasn't able to find the "Working out the cost" option on the BA website mentioned in one of the sticky posts here. I know I can book the flight and then attempt to upgrade; but I'd rather know the cost first. Because at $2747 this isn't happening.

Another strange thing; when I attempt to book PY on the app, by selecting PY I get higher prices. For example, I get $1379 outbound in PY despite it saying lowest is $693. When I pick Y on the app, then slide it over, I get $693.
I'd prefer to pick PY because then I can easily see if I can save $$$ by just flying a day earlier/later etc.

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Book the cash fare you want if there's reward seats in J - then call up and pay the additional fees and Avios to upgrade into Club World. Simple ! Don't try and do in one transaction on BA.com
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Book the cash fare you want if there's reward seats in J - then call up and pay the additional fees and Avios to upgrade into Club World. Simple ! Don't try and do in one transaction on BA.com
Sure, but what should the cost be? $222 or the $1k the website once gave me? For $1100 I can book the whole lot (J out PY back) with points but I don't consider that a great use of my points/dollars!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
When using BA website, you usually get weird numbers... Book ticket (you can always use the 24hr cooling off period), and then call directly to upgrade. Never had an issue doing it that way, as long as you check availability beforehand...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you do a dummy revenue booking on ba.com the taxes/fees/charges for a YYZ LHR rtn in WTP should be around $897, and for CW out and WTP back should be around $1,119. So a UuA for the outbound should cost about $222 per person in extra taxes/fees/charges and the extra avios.

I agree with mikeyfly's suggestion.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by jc94
Sure, but what should the cost be? $222 or the $1k the website once gave me? For $1100 I can book the whole lot (J out PY back) with points but I don't consider that a great use of my points/dollars!
have you compared the booking fare for the 2? Invariably when you try to book and upgrade online it will book you in a higher class than is required.

As suggested - book and then phone up to upgrade. Or do it all over phone.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
I’ve done this multiple times. On the web they automatically place the WT+ in a different fair bucket and it’s much higher
book the WT+ as cheaply as you can and them call the upgrade the sector you want. But it’s not $222 more. The upgrade with taxes and “ additional” costs will be about $700 per segment more. But every fare in WT+ is upgradable if there is reward space in CW
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks; it sounds like I need to phone up and confirm if it's $222 more or $700 more, then book online to avoid the booking fee. The latter would be an issue, it's bad enough it's going to cost another $250 or so just to pick decent seats.

I'll try and remember to report back. Would like to try J in the A350.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

For information, just confirmed with BA sales (the person I rang for Avios had to transfer me) that it's $222. They did a dummy booking and confirmed the cost.

Now do I wait and see if Brexit changes the price or book now

Thanks all.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:17 am

Now do I wait and see if Brexit changes the price or book now
Thought you were planning to travel next Christmas?
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Thought you were planning to travel next Christmas?
Yeah, but the lower the Ł vs the $ the cheaper the flights. So depending upon what happens in the next few days/weeks it could impact it
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:11 pm

Thanks; it sounds like I need to phone up and confirm if it's $222 more or $700 more, then book online to avoid the booking fee. The latter would be an issue, it's bad enough it's going to cost another $250 or so just to pick decent seats.

I'll try and remember to report back. Would like to try J in the A350.
well done. It appears I stand corrected and the taxes et al for a one way CW ticket is $502CAN by itself. Subtract from that the taxes and additional charges to travel in WT+ and you are correct it’s about $222 CAN (plus Avios) to upgrade to CW from a paid WT+ ticket if there is reward space in CW.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Yep, the taxes are $222 YYZ LHR or about $169 return PY-J. However if you just use Avios it's $502 as you say YYZ LHR, but over $700 for the return in J. Crazy.

Was able to book online, then tried to upgrade... Website said "If you want to upgrade to a higher class please contact your local British Airways office."
After sitting on hold for a while noticed there was a continue button. Went all the way through, verified my card bit and then it again gave another error: Sorry, we have encountered a problem. Please call your local British Airways office to change this booking.

So had to call up again and after a ridiculous wait of 45 minutes ... They cut me off. Assume it's not a co-incidence that's exactly at 6pm UK time.
Several times the music did stop and it seemed like someone was about to answer, but they didn't. And what's with the creaking chair noises while the music plays?!
When I called back, they just said they're too busy and disconnected me again.

I'm going to extremely unhappy if the available seats disappear while they're too busy to pick up the phone. Which I'm only doing due to the website being rubbish.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Yep, the taxes are $222 YYZ LHR or about $169 return PY-J. However if you just use Avios it's $502 as you say YYZ LHR, but over $700 for the return in J. Crazy.

Was able to book online, then tried to upgrade... Website said "If you want to upgrade to a higher class please contact your local British Airways office."
After sitting on hold for a while noticed there was a continue button. Went all the way through, verified my card bit and then it again gave another error: Sorry, we have encountered a problem. Please call your local British Airways office to change this booking.

So had to call up again and after a ridiculous wait of 45 minutes ... They cut me off. Assume it's not a co-incidence that's exactly at 6pm UK time.
Several times the music did stop and it seemed like someone was about to answer, but they didn't. And what's with the creaking chair noises while the music plays?!
When I called back, they just said they're too busy and disconnected me again.

I'm going to extremely unhappy if the available seats disappear while they're too busy to pick up the phone. Which I'm only doing due to the website being rubbish.
While the airline charges have become insane so have the ex-YYZ I fares on this route. Now I'm retired and can be flexible I used AE miles for a one way AC J reward to LHR to start all my 2019/2020 TATL trips in the UK or EU if necessary. For example on the first combo I booked an ex-LHR-YYZ with outbound in F and inbound on the 350 for less than $4K CAD. Same flights ex-YYZ over $9K. Anyone starting ex YYZ in J is getting taken to the cleaners by AC and BA in 2019/2020. That's why although the charges seem high on the upgrade the alternative of buying an I fare ex-YYZ has become prohibitive if you are flexible
aircrashsurvivor and jc94 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
While the airline charges have become insane so have the ex-YYZ I fares on this route. Now I'm retired and can be flexible I used AE miles for a one way AC J reward to LHR to start all my 2019/2020 TATL trips in the UK or EU if necessary. For example on the first combo I booked an ex-LHR-YYZ with outbound in F and inbound on the 350 for less than $4K CAD. Same flights ex-YYZ over $9K. Anyone starting ex YYZ in J is getting taken to the cleaners by AC and BA in 2019/2020. That's why although the charges seem high on the upgrade the alternative of buying an I fare ex-YYZ has become prohibitive if you are flexible
I’ve done the almost exact thing this year. Im
fly in a month yyz to lhr in CW Ba on avios then I have several ex LHR to YYZ trips on AC that cost $3500 CAN rt (and with an employee’s discount code of 15%)worked out to under $2900. My final leg is a return LHR to YYZ in F avios+ $735
paying cash to fly starting in Toronto is obscene unless you buy an AC flight pass. We got some of those this year in Jan on sale for $2200 each segment in J and that’s a great deal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.