Club Europe - A319 or A321

Old Mar 24, 19, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Club Europe - A319 or A321

Flying between Glasgow and Heathrow in CE.

If I have a choice, should I care whether it's an A319 or an A321?

Last edited by Alan Shave; Mar 24, 19 at 3:25 pm
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
No. Just go with the flight that has the best times or price that suit you.
Alan Shave and argonath like this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If timings suit, 319 will likely give you a more personal service, 321 though has some great exit row seating that you can properly stretch out in.
Alan Shave likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
If timings suit, 319 will likely give you a more personal service, 321 though has some great exit row seating that you can properly stretch out in.
Only if CE goes back that far..
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
There's no difference in seating between the A319, A320 and A321 and Club cabin size and crew make vastly more difference to service than aircraft type.

In my experience it's rare for domestic CE to surpass 6 or 7 rows so the A321 exit seats won't be in CE and there are frequent swaps between the A320 family anyway so no guarantee you'll get the setup you booked. The only reason to lean towards the A321 is if the flight is scheduled to run with one of the mid-haul ex-BMI A321s with 1-2 layout and proper flat bed seats, but there are only a few of them left so unlikely to appear on domestic flights and if they do, there's a very high chance of it being subbed out nearer the time.

So, basically go with timings and pricing.
jctech and Alan Shave like this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
The seats are exactly the same, but I prefer the diddy little A319. A321 feels like itís trying too hard. But just book the most convenient timings.
Old Mar 25, 19, 4:28 am

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by BobServant View Post
There's no difference in seating between the A319, A320 and A321 and Club cabin size and crew make vastly more difference to service than aircraft type.

In my experience it's rare for domestic CE to surpass 6 or 7 rows so the A321 exit seats won't be in CE and there are frequent swaps between the A320 family anyway so no guarantee you'll get the setup you booked. The only reason to lean towards the A321 is if the flight is scheduled to run with one of the mid-haul ex-BMI A321s with 1-2 layout and proper flat bed seats, but there are only a few of them left so unlikely to appear on domestic flights and if they do, there's a very high chance of it being subbed out nearer the time.

So, basically go with timings and pricing.
Don't you just hit lucky with the BD A321s? I didn't think there was a way to predict getting one at the time of booking, use doesn't seem to follow any regular pattern.

The only times I've been on one I only realised at check in that it was a BD aircraft.
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I went with the A321, primarily as the flight time was slightly more preferable, but there wasn't much in it.

It looks like we're on an A320 on the return leg, just to bag the full collection.

Oddly the BA seat map is showing only 5 rows of CE - surely that's not right? I can't find any kind of seat map on BA's site that correlates to that...
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
There was only 4 rows of CE on my flight last Saturday morning, so not that unusual
Alan Shave likes this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Alan Shave View Post
Thanks all. I went with the A321, primarily as the flight time was slightly more preferable, but there wasn't much in it.

It looks like we're on an A320 on the return leg, just to bag the full collection.

Oddly the BA seat map is showing only 5 rows of CE - surely that's not right? I can't find any kind of seat map on BA's site that correlates to that...
CE isnít a fixed number of rows. The curtain can be moved flight by flight, though how far back will vary by aircraft. I think 12 rows is the max, 3 is the least Iíve seen on the 319/320/321 family.
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by lhrpete View Post
Don't you just hit lucky with the BD A321s? I didn't think there was a way to predict getting one at the time of booking, use doesn't seem to follow any regular pattern.

The only times I've been on one I only realised at check in that it was a BD aircraft.
Sheer luck, has only happened once.
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca View Post

CE isnít a fixed number of rows. The curtain can be moved flight by flight, though how far back will vary by aircraft. I think 12 rows is the max, 3 is the least Iíve seen on the 319/320/321 family.
4-5 rows is probably the norm on domestics.
Old Dec 14, 19, 12:03 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
I'm in Club Europe on a 321 that shows exit seats in an odd configuration I can't follow. Did I pick a good seat or should I swich?

Old Dec 14, 19, 12:54 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink View Post
I'm in Club Europe on a 321 that shows exit seats in an odd configuration I can't follow. Did I pick a good seat or should I swich?
I believe there is a crew seat there and no window seat to allow for access to the exit door (which is a proper door on the 321 as opposed to the overwing ones on 319/320s. But the graphics are a bit off.

This far out though, the curtain is likely to move many times, potentially kicking you out of the seat if the curtain moves forward. If I were you, I would go for row 1 seeing you have access to it.
Old Dec 14, 19, 2:21 am

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
All the CE seats are horrible with almost no legroom.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: