Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA using Avios to upgrade from WTP to Club or KLM Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Hi all,
I am looking to fly in the summer from Dubai to Edinburgh. I have checked BA and I have enough avios to upgrade both ways from World Traveller Plus to Club. However, it's still pretty expensive to pay the base far for the Premium Economy. In fact, it costs almost exactly the same amount as if I book KLM Business directly not using any airmiles.
I have flown BA on this route many times before and have upgraded quite a few times too. I enjoy the Club experience, as I don't fly it enough to be really annoyed with it. Last summer I got upgraded before checkin from WTP to Club to EDI and at Christmas flying back from JFK to DXB myself and my husband got upgraded the whole route from WTP to Club for free. Amazing! And I enjoyed all experiences.
I have never flown KLM Business before - it would be on the 777-200.

I don't have enough Skywards to upgrade on Emirates as that is my other choice to fly direct to either GLA or EDI but that would be in Economy. Albeit half the price.
But I will be almost 30 weeks pregnant at the time, and I really want all the extra baggage so it needs to be Business.

What do you think? Waste of miles, or BA is better than KLM?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
KLM business and save the miles...
nivsy, shefgab, Tiger_lily and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Day or night flights?
Anyway, if you do not need the TPs and can use the avios for something better in the near future, then maybe could be "cheaper" to use KLM.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
An easy choice in my mind. Go for KL unless you absolutely need the TP to achieve or renew BA status.
nivsy and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:25 am
Original Poster

I am Bronze and the trip would renew it for me, but it's not a life changing status!
BA is day flight there and night flight back, and KLM is night there and day back so much of a muchness. KLM has a slightly shorter layover but not much.
I signed up for the 100x extra miles which the BA flight would qualify for but I suppose if I have 50k already, that's enough for a roundtrip Business another time.

I am siding slightly more towards the KLM now - thanks all.
It looks a lovely seat and cabin!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I would still say go with KL, but just be aware that the 777 seat is different to the 789 one.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:56 am

I've never done KL J so no idea on seat, service etc. But I would much prefer to connect through AMS than LHR.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold (E+) TK Elite (*G) QR Gold (OW Sapphire) IHG Platinum, B&W Diamont, Ascott Gold
... And at that time the all new KLM Crown Lounge 52 (non schengen) should be finished. It's only partly opened now and therefore very crowded.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I know you said you needed the baggage etc but if it's a day flight I would consider EK (in Eco) and pay for an exit row. Direct flight, reasonable baggage allowance (can always pay for a bit more) save money and miles.

Being 30 weeks then is a hassle changing planes and you won't need the stress if things are late or go wrong. But of course being in Business will be far more relaxing and you can lay down etc although IIRC correctly you'll probably find that not so comfortable and maybe want to be up and around.

You may want to have some official (Doctors) confirmation of how far gone you are as you don't want any hassle from the check-in staff as after about 32 weeks then airlines refuse to carry you (varies by airline) and obviously is hard to tell 30 weeks versus 32 or whatever the limit is.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I’d check your travel insurance to see whether they’ll cover an early birth. A lot won’t and if not then you’ll be giving birth in a foreign country with no health cover.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I know you said you needed the baggage etc but if it's a day flight I would consider EK (in Eco) and pay for an exit row. Direct flight, reasonable baggage allowance (can always pay for a bit more) save money and miles.

Being 30 weeks then is a hassle changing planes and you won't need the stress if things are late or go wrong. But of course being in Business will be far more relaxing and you can lay down etc although IIRC correctly you'll probably find that not so comfortable and maybe want to be up and around.

You may want to have some official (Doctors) confirmation of how far gone you are as you don't want any hassle from the check-in staff as after about 32 weeks then airlines refuse to carry you (varies by airline) and obviously is hard to tell 30 weeks versus 32 or whatever the limit is.
Also worth noting that EK has been more aggressive with discounted upgrade offers during OLCI, probably around 600-800GBP each way ex GLA/EDI. No additional miles or lounge access though with these

No guarantee they'll offer them when you fly though - just adding it as food for thought

Last edited by skywardhunter; Mar 25, 2019 at 5:33 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Also worth noting that EK has been more aggressive with discounted upgrade offers during OLCI, probably around 600-800GBP each way ex GLA/EDI. No additional miles or lounge access though with these
More likely £450 (that's what I got offered a couple of weeks back from MAN). That's the general UK price. Combined with a base fare of £380, that was well worth it. Only got offered one way though.

I did KLM MAN-DXB last year. Flights were OK. On the outbound it was a B787, which was 1x2x1 config. Return was B777 which was 2x2x2 config. I actually found the B777 seat to be more comfortable, as the B787 seat seemed to have bits sticking out everywhere, and not much in the way of armrests.

The food wasn't great, but then, neither is BA (or maybe it's better now). Wines were pretty dreadful on KLM - but I guess that won't apply

The Skyteam lounge at DXB was quite busy when I got there (very early), but emptied out after about 10pm. Good selection of hot and cold food, so you can have a late dinner and sleep on the flight.

As for transit, no security checks at AMS - whereas you'd need to re-clear security on the return at LHR.

But... the major KLM selling point is you get a house

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/pre...miniatures.htm

So... I'd say save your miles and go KLM.
fluffymitten likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.