Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Luggage delivered 77 days after arrival and BA don't want to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

As the title says, my luggage arrived 77 days after I arrived in Manchester. Completed all the claims online where they operate deliberate delay tactics (4 weeks per email)

Eventually the bag came back and BA refused any compensation saying the bag was returned and a woman on the phone argued with me over the merits of my case very sarcastically. She claimed as the bag was returned it didn't matter how long it took as long as it was before the claim was settled. Apparently the time frame is irrelevant as long as the luggage is returned before they settle the claim.

I do appreciate I got all my stuff back but after a month or so you start to replace the items, especially when you live between the UK and Thailand where you require very different wardrobes! I flew back to Thailand on BA long before the bag was returned but none of this mattered. Most of the items I duplicated exactly (as I liked them). Where do I stand? They told me my only chance was CEDR (after much complaining they revealed this)

Is this worth pursuing am I likely to get anything or do I just have enough electric toothbrushes, shavers, warm weather clothing and footwear to last for the foreseeable future?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
While the bag is missing you are entitled to claim for essential replacement items such as clothes and cosmetics, though there is a view that if you are returning "home" then you probably have these items there. "Home" may be open to debate for those who live in 2 places. But the provision is there to get replacement items that you need and which are in the missing bag. Normally BA pay this fairly swiftly against receipts. I must admit I would draw the line at electric toothbrushes and electric razors since disposable ones would be a more reasonable outcome in the circumstances, however it's BA that draws these lines, not me! You can claim for a missed bag at 21 days - but BA are correct that if the bag is then found before the claim is settled then that's the end of the matter.

So in short if they do find the bag - which would normally be the best outcome for most people I suspect - then you can only claim for items that were essential during the bag's absence. It may be your insurance cover would be a better avenue since typically insurance companies process simple claims fairly quickly.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
While the bag is missing you are entitled to claim for essential replacement items such as clothes and cosmetics, though there is a view that if you are returning "home" then you probably have these items there. "Home" may be open to debate for those who live in 2 places. But the provision is there to get replacement items that you need and which are in the missing bag. Normally BA pay this fairly swiftly against receipts. I must admit I would draw the line at electric toothbrushes and electric razors since disposable ones would be a more reasonable outcome in the circumstances, however it's BA that draws these lines, not me! You can claim for a missed bag at 21 days - but BA are correct that if the bag is then found before the claim is settled then that's the end of the matter.

So in short if they do find the bag - which would normally be the best outcome for most people I suspect - then you can only claim for items that were essential during the bag's absence. It may be your insurance cover would be a better avenue since typically insurance companies process simple claims fairly quickly.
I never had any pushback from BA on this though usually my luggage has been delayed by LATAM or CX, CX are very good at paying for essentials whilst LATAM, let’s just say Amex platinum helped...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77

I never had any pushback from BA on this though usually my luggage has been delayed by LATAM or CX, CX are very good at paying for essentials whilst LATAM, let’s just say Amex platinum helped...
can you expand on how Amex plat helped?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by thatflyer

can you expand on how Amex plat helped?
I suspect it will be the insurance coverage.

I have had a few delayed bag scenarios (the most recent one being in December) and the insurance that comes with the Amex Platinum card has been fantastic at settling claims within a couple of days of providing the information to them. Only thing they ask is that you put any expenditure on the card itself (which I would do anyway) so I don’t know how strictly that is enforced.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
When ours went missing full of ski gear (including my husband’s brand new boots) they were quite sympathetic in the end as they knew any claim would end up being for far more than they could pay out under Montréal Convention.

I was in in the middle of constructing the claim for full replacement of everything in the bag when it came back 3 weeks later. It had been mishandled as my son’s helmet was in bad shape and BA coughed up for a brand new one without a quibble.

I think if they paid up for the essentials, and nothing was damaged I’m not really sure what else they can do. If there was something missing or damaged (and this is what has happened to me on both occasions BA has lost bags) then I would pursue them for appropriate recompense.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:24 am

Not that it matters but did they say where the bag had been for 77 days?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JumboJet
Not that it matters but did they say where the bag had been for 77 days?
And I would be interested to know whether this is a record for baggage recovery on a BA or mainly BA set of flights. Just so we know when all hope is finally extinguished.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
I'm currently on day 35 of a missing bag saga and I would be delighted if it still turned up ok at some point.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And I would be interested to know whether this is a record for baggage recovery on a BA or mainly BA set of flights. Just so we know when all hope is finally extinguished.
Ours came back with Swiss tags on it so we pieced together the story ourselves. We knew it had not been loaded at LHR and sent to OSL the next day. By that time we had left OSL and returned to the UK.

We surmise that what happened next was that Menzies accidentally loaded it onto the OSL DXB flight which must have been parked next to the BA flight it should have been loaded on.

Eventually, it was matched in DXB and then returned on LX via ZRH to London.

If the tags are still on the bag you can pretty much figure it out. The Customer Relations chap I dealt with at the time said 6 months was the record.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Inferring that this was part of his "commute" between Thailand and the UK, OP's claim is covered by the Montreal Convention. He may claim for his interim expenses (which I realize are a bit less than interim at this point) up to the Convention's limit of approximately GBP 1,100. On the 21st day, the bag was considered lost and had OP's claim been paid, that would be the end of it. He would have been due the fair market of the bag & contents up to the Convention limit and less paid out interim expenses.

At this point all OP is due is reimbursement for those interim expenses which he should document with receipts and submit to BA.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
I've had over three months before. Coincidentally about 2 weeks after AXA settled the claim for all the missing items. Door bell goes, smug looking courier. "Here's your bag". On registering my disbelief he explained that he'd assumed it was a day late. Seems it'd fallen off the belt in Dublin and not been found for a few months. Best result ever. Though dealing with AXA on lost luggage claims is always a PITA.
nancypants and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Do I hold the record ? 168 days for a bag to be returned ? and when it was returned nobody gave me a heads up

I got a knock at the door with a taxi driver saying "I've come from the airport". I said, "OK, I didn't order a taxi". He said, "No, the airport sent me". I said, "Good for them, but I don't need a taxi". He said, "No, I have a suitcase for you" :O

And, they had fully settled my claim as 'lost', prior to the bag being returned
nilsfr69 and RoyalSwazi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.