Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ba1376 LHR to MAN took wrong turn

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by London21
Ridiculous. Pilot should be disciplined for this.
Summary execution seems reasonable. Maybe they can break out the Iron Maiden? That’ll learn em!
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HMPS
... A cul-de-sac is very obvious / visible, identifiable in the taxiway network on the ground. At least one pilot should be seeing out of the windows ?
Not in the dark, which this flight was. There is no lighting save for the taxiway lights so the view from the flightdeck will be a stream of green lights. The route to the terminal is convoluted, from what I have seen from 1F the green taxiway lights are illuminated in the blocked off area. During daylight hours it is very clear where the route is, in the dark it is far from clear.

I’ve heard of several aircraft being caught out in the hours of darkness.
HMPS, navylad and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Mar 23, 2019 at 9:56 am Reason: Bloody autocorrect!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Not in the dark, which this flight was. There is no lighting save for the taxiway lights so the view from the flightdeck will be a stream of green lights. The route to the terminal is convoluted, from what I have seen from 1F the green taxiway lights are illuminated in the blocked off area. During daylight hours it is very clear where the route is, in the dark it is far from clear.

If this is true then it is imperative that the airport authority has managed the situation correctly. If reports have been filed then they should have been actioned upon by both the airport and the Airline Operators in respect of ensuring that proper briefing notes are produced. If this hasn't taken place then the crew should be completely in the clear as the problem is then systemic.

I earlier used the term "no blame culture" in relation to ATC but in fact we moved to "Just Culture" a few years ago so apologies for that as i'm sure you'd all spotted it!!
HMPS and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Well, that could have been more exciting. Judging by the thread title I was going to assume they went south from Heathrow instead of north(west!)!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by Fraser
Well, that could have been more exciting. Judging by the thread title I was going to assume they went south from Heathrow instead of north(west!)!
That's happened in the past. I know you're tongue in cheek but we try not to do "exciting" in a safety conscious industry. That's why when the BBC did a series covering ATC in the UK a few years ago, it didn't really make great watching as it was just another normal day for weeks on end of filming. It's worth remembering the worst loss of life in an aviation accident took place whilst both aircraft were on the ground.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by HMPS
Yes " to err is human..." but pilots carry the responsibility of a few hundred lives.

A cul-de-sac is very obvious / visible, identifiable in the taxiway network on the ground. At least one pilot should be seeing out of the windows ?
You've clearly never sat in the pointy end .
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
I thought MAN employed selective route lighting.

I'm going out on a limb and presuming that whilst there is such extensive work in progress, it is not as selectable as usual.

That said, if there is work in progress, particularly on TWY A going down to A4, it it incumbent on the airport to have adequate illuminated barriers in place to prevent aircraft entering what is currently an out of service cul-de-sac.

Sounds to me like the barriers were not in place and the crew, having vacated as usual at BD, took the default route to Terminal 3.

I wonder if ATC gave a routing to stand..?

Far too many variables for armchair critics on here to hang the crew out to dry.
nancypants and Soupdragon62 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by London21
Ridiculous. Pilot should be disciplined for this.
And they might very well be. Or possible not. But such a decision will be down to BA after a full analysis of the facts and not down to the instant uninformed comment of some on this board. And any such decision will also remain private.

There is far too much rushing to judgement on this board where every mistake should apparently result in the hanging, drawing and quartering of the miscreant by Alec Cruz in his hi viz in the middle of the CCR

Shoukd this have happened then no. But it did and no one was harmed.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Of course the pilot won’t be disciplined, unless s/he intentionally put his or her aircraft at risk through negligence, which is plainly not the case here.

The occurrence will be investigated, and lessons will be learned.

Thankfully aviation is one of the more enlightened industries, and UK airlines and UK ATC work hard (and closely together) to foster a culture where such occurrences can, and are, reported on without fear of backlash or punishment, for the benefit of all.

Such an occurrence; an aircraft misrouting, can be as a result of many factors, human (flight crew and ATC), environmental and conditional, and usually it’s a combination of some or all of them.

Without knowing anything about this specific case, I can guarantee there is not one cause.

Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP

Thank you, facts do help to dissipate guesses.

Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
You've clearly never sat in the pointy end .
True, how about a bit more forward and high up ?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL

I thought illuminating closed taxiways/runways with active lighting was considered a major "no no"? It was a significant contributing factor to the SQ 6 crash in TPE.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Thankfully aviation is one of the more enlightened industries, and UK airlines and UK ATC work hard (and closely together) to foster a culture where such occurrences can, and are, reported on without fear of backlash or punishment, for the benefit of all.

I fully agree that is indeed the quoted culture, and it’s a part of the training, but in practice instances like these don’t help their career much at least not in the company. They won’t be going on social media and telling everyone about their bad day at the office, and it won’t be appearing on their CV. That’s why indivduals’ names are generally absent from incident and accident public reporting,

The 744 incident at Johannesburg is another example similar to this one but with slightly more dramatic consequences. I doubt there was much in the way of tea and biscuits in their meetings after that event.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Howard Long

I fully agree that is indeed the quoted culture, and it’s a part of the training, but in practice instances like these don’t help their career much at least not in the company. They won’t be going on social media and telling everyone about their bad day at the office, and it won’t be appearing on their CV. That’s why indivduals’ names are generally absent from incident and accident public reporting,

The 744 incident at Johannesburg is another example similar to this one but with slightly more dramatic consequences. I doubt there was much in the way of tea and biscuits in their meetings after that event.

Really don't think you can compare an incident which caused significant damage to an airframe to what supposedly happened here. Especially as we don't know exactly what happened and why.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

We had a "Follow Me" vehicle when landing at MAN a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if this was due to it being an A380, or more of a general thing when the taxiway works are ongoing.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
We had a "Follow Me" vehicle when landing at MAN a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if this was due to it being an A380, or more of a general thing when the taxiway works are ongoing.
IIRC, it was an EK aircraft that first fell foul of this - delaying its arrival by over an hour. Clearly a lesson learnt by EK!
HMPS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.