Ba1376 LHR to MAN took wrong turn

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Glad you survived!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by London21
Ridiculous. Pilot should be disciplined for this.
And you as an expert suggest what sanction? I think you'll find that unless there is negligence involved that a no blame culture exists, as it does in ATC, in order that everyone learns from the circumstances and hopefully the event won't be repeated.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
We have a pre-arranged spot quite close to T3 where I picked him up, safely away from the drop off/pick-up area where you get charged.

It is starting to get well know where these ‘free’ areas are located now as there were quite a few others waiting in the same area to be picked up.
When MAN started this charging, they stated anybody picking up/dropping off from unauthorised places would get an automatic Ł100 fine. I never quite worked out how they would enforce this.... so I guess it was all BS
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SKRan
Make a u-turn.
Proceed to the route.
You have yet to reach the destination.
Recalculating!

The thread title also made me think the old Bugs Bunny cartoon about how he should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque

Wrong turns are a matter of serious concern and should result in the pilot getting a talking to since a wrong turn onto an active runway could have a very bad Tenerife level outcome for planes involved
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Wrong turns are a matter of serious concern and should result in the pilot getting a talking to since a wrong turn onto an active runway could have a very bad Tenerife level outcome for planes involved
There are big flashing orange lights at the edge of the runway, and a big red line of "stop" lights that will alert any pilot to the fact they are about to enter an active runway.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Time to retrofit reverse gear. DC-9s could 'powerback' from the gate years ago.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Originally Posted by beachmouse
There are big flashing orange lights at the edge of the runway, and a big red line of "stop" lights that will alert any pilot to the fact they are about to enter an active runway.
And also very specific markings on the paved surface, right across the width of the taxiway.

So a runway incursion would be a very different incident from simply misreading or misunderstanding a taxiway or taxilane layout, and turning into the wrong area of the apron.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Mistakes happen. And it is important in a safety culture that the cause is established with no blame, to reduce the likelihood of a repeat. If people are punished for mistakes such as this where the worst that happened was a delay, then surely it will just lead to arse covering.

No doubt a combination of factors will have led to it - with things to learn.

Shouting at the crew “IN FUTURE BE MORE CAREFUL” isn’t going to help anyone. It happens. Remember the 747 in Johannesburg that went the wrong way and the wing hit a building (with iirc injuries on the ground) and somewhere like St Kitts / Antigua where a 777 took off from an incorrect intersection. In both of those cases, ‘blaming’ the f/c alone is overly-simplistic.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Whilst frustrating, I don't blame the pilots; the taxi-ways are confusing at the moment with the works underway. In anycase, I strongly believe in a Just culture as does BA, this was an error that didn't break any policy rules, it is not a disciplinary matter; an airline that would discipline their pilots for such lapses (I'm sure we can all think of a few including a few lorded as being superior to BA by some on here) is an airline in which a pilot is so afraid to make a mistake that it may cause a major mistake.

I do however, blame the airport- they should employ 'follow-me' cars if it is as confusing as it is at the moment.

As I said though, it really isn't the end of the world.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by London21
Ridiculous. Pilot should be disciplined for this.
What a ridiculous comment.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Following the incident at milan linate in oct 2001 then confusing taxiways should not be acceptable
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
It's a shame that people are calling for the pilot to be disciplined. We all make mistakes. Whilst I appreciate that mistakes in aviation can have very serious consequences, as many have pointed out, aviation will on,y become safer if there is a transparent no-blame culture. Long may that continue. What I am surprised about is that it takes 45 minutes to remedy the situation.
HIDDY, wrp96, Wandered and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
It's a shame that people are calling for the pilot to be disciplined. We all make mistakes. Whilst I appreciate that mistakes in aviation can have very serious consequences, as many have pointed out, aviation will on,y become safer if there is a transparent no-blame culture. Long may that continue. What I am surprised about is that it takes 45 minutes to remedy the situation.
Especially as we don't get to hear the pilots version of the event.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by steview111
Pilots are human too, and mistakes do happen. Even on a good day, Manchester has a confusing taxiway layout.
Yes " to err is human..." but pilots carry the responsibility of a few hundred lives.

A cul-de-sac is very obvious / visible, identifiable in the taxiway network on the ground. At least one pilot should be seeing out of the windows ?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by HMPS
Yes " to err is human..." but pilots carry the responsibility of a few hundred lives.

A cul-de-sac is very obvious / visible, identifiable in the taxiway network on the ground. At least one pilot should be seeing out of the windows ?
I think the issue is that work has made that taxi-way a cul de sac, it isn't marked as one on the chart (nee map) and it was in the hours of darkness so how visible it was that this would become an issue we don't know or what mitigation the airport put in to prevent this from happening (if any).
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.