Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer to Domestic at SYD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: QF WP
I have had good results in terms of QF moving me to an earlier departure than booked if I have shown up way in advance- usually a red e deal (ie cheap ticket) when it happens. I am QF gold now but have been moved forwards while BA silver or LA plat as well. May be worth considering if you end up going for a longer connection as insurance

as always, YMMV

Last edited by nancypants; Mar 23, 2019 at 4:34 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by nancypants
I have had good results in terms of QF moving me to an earlier departure than booked if I have shown up way in advance- usually a red e deal (ie cheap ticket) when it happens. I man QF gold now but have been moved forwards while BA silver or LA plat as well. May be worth considering if you end up going for a longer connection as insurance
They used to be very flexible, but they've become really hardened lately. Then again, they flit between the two at SYD so they might get relaxed again. (Also, there are real grumpies at SYD domestic transfer desks...)

Another thing is, if it's convenient for them (e.g. if they are expecting to cancel a later flight) they'd happily move you no matter what your status or ticket is That's happened to me quite a lot in the past.

No problem having oneself moved to an earlier flight if it's on a single ticket issued by QF.
For a BA codeshare, be careful doing this because if you get moved to a QF-coded flight, you will lose extra Avios-earnings that you get for BA flights (e.g. status bonus).
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 23, 2019 at 1:52 am
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
I make this trip 7 or 8 times a year and allow 3 hours. I am HLO and getting through immigration and customs is always pretty quick. At weekends I have seen queues from the international terminal to domestic transfer and have used the train instead.

My success rate at getting earlier flights, typically on red-e-deals upgraded using QF points, is about 60%. It depends entirely on the staff in the domestic J lounge for me.

In the months when BA15 arrives at approx 5:00AM I take the train because the bus service hasn't started by the time I am land side.

I will time myself tomorrow. I arrive at 06:50 and have a 10:00AM MEL-SYD. (Unusually for me all on one PNR)
nancypants, Omba and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
They used to be very flexible, but they've become really hardened lately. Then again, they flit between the two at SYD so they might get relaxed again. (Also, there are real grumpies at SYD domestic transfer desks...)

Another thing is, if it's convenient for them (e.g. if they are expecting to cancel a later flight) they'd happily move you no matter what your status or ticket is That's happened to me quite a lot in the past.

No problem having oneself moved to an earlier flight if it's on a single ticket issued by QF.
For a BA codeshare, be careful doing this because if you get moved to a QF-coded flight, you will lose extra Avios-earnings that you get for BA flights (e.g. status bonus).
indeed and I suppose I might add i’ve never asked to be moved to the earlier flight, it has always been offered (a subtle distinction)
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I think a lot on here are being very risk adverse.

Me travelling with hand baggage I can be into the domestic lounge from walking off the plane international side in about 35-40 minutes, walking at a normal pace. (I know the route so add another 10-15 minutes for a first timer)
I come through SYD onto domestic average 4/5 times a year with 75% of them in from New Zealand though.

Assuming your British so can use the e-gates, immigration will be quick and customs/biosecurity check they are pretty speedy these days (assuming you haven't brought anything in they don't like)

The bottle neck is baggage collection, which I can't help because the last time I collected luggage from SYD was 2008.

2 hours should be fine 2 1/2 if you want the breathing space.
Omba likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
The bottle neck is baggage collection ...
Which is precisely why those advocating a longer gap between flights are being realistic rather than risk-averse. Sometimes, even with the fastest possible passage to and through immigration, your bag will already be on the belt. Other times, you can dawdle in the shop, dawdle down to the belt, and still be standing there for another 45 minutes.
nancypants and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by TonyHancock
My success rate at getting earlier flights, typically on red-e-deals upgraded using QF points, is about 60%. It depends entirely on the staff in the domestic J lounge for me.
That's another benefit of HBO, being able to do that (they don't let you do it if you have checked baggage).

When you have checked baggage, you're at the mercy of domestic transfer staff who tend to be more bound by the fare rules, I suspect.

It's interesting to read that you allow 3 hours despite being HBO though. I tend to find that the biggest time-taker in the whole process is checked baggage. As you probably know it used to be the customs & quarantine...

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Which is precisely why those advocating a longer gap between flights are being realistic rather than risk-averse. Sometimes, even with the fastest possible passage to and through immigration, your bag will already be on the belt. Other times, you can dawdle in the shop, dawdle down to the belt, and still be standing there for another 45 minutes.
And then the queue (even for business etc.) for domestic transfer can be 10 minutes, and the wait for the bus can be another 10 minutes. Before you know it, quite a bit of time has passed...

HBO saves quite a bit of that, especially if you can OLCI for the domestic leg or have the BP issued.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
With Mrs O on a three week holiday, HBO isn’t going to cut much ice unfortunately.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

Another thing is, if it's convenient for them (e.g. if they are expecting to cancel a later flight) they'd happily move you no matter what your status or ticket is That's happened to me quite a lot in the past..
Agreed - I used to go earlier all the time, but 2 weeks ago on a red edeal (can’t believe they still call them that!) I asked to go earlier as I knew there was loads of availability, but the very nice gentleman on the desk said things have been tightened up and they no longer have the leeway they used to unless there’s an advisory in effect.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Omba

Thanks. It’s two separate Avios bookings in CW. Just wondering which Avios flight to Mel to book. As noted lots of choice.
On separate tickets I would be very wary. Take 3 hours.
I had a connection Sin-Syd-Mel last year. Arrived on time from Singapore on the BA flight (BA15) and had an 8.30 flight (QF417) to Melbourne. I was in WTP and as a BAEC Gold I got a priority immigration pass. The wait was at the baggage carousel. Be aware just like domestic US connections you have to collect your bags, they are not checked through.

I had my bags around 7.30, at the QF transfer at 7.45, got the priority check in, and was surprised the checked me in, got on the bus to the domestic terminal and boarded immediately when I got there. If you are on separate tickets don’t try this short connection. I felt I was lucky with making this connection and still felt stressed even though I was on one ticket. If I was on seperate tickets I would have been stressed out.

Globalist
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Omba
With Mrs O on a three week holiday, HBO isn’t going to cut much ice unfortunately.
Allow 3 hours minimum in that case.

I'm a Mrs Checked Baggage and the wait can be so long that I sometimes start thinking there must be something wrong with the belt (and one time, there was something wrong with the belt indeed!).

Extra stress is not something one needs when travelling, if it can be avoided. If you book a "wrong" flight and something goes wrong, you might get Mrs O's wrath for that
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
+1
And time for a nice hot shower in the SYD T3 J lounge to wash away some of the jet lag is always welcome as well!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Landed at 06:39, off the plane at 06:49 and in the domestic QF J lounge at 07:25. i took the train rather than enjoy the; delights of QF seamless transfer. The lovely peeps in the J lounge moved me to the 9:00AM flight, the 8:00AM flight was already full in J. Now i just need to offload a couple of KG's from my carry on into my Scottevest jacket to meet the 7KG carry on limit.
Omba and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Remember with the discussion of the train transfer is that it is $6.40 per person.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
You have a lot of variables in play here:

- Arrival time of the aircraft
- Immigration (though usually quick via e-Gates)
- Baggage collection
- Clearing customs (including the possibility of additional screening)
- Check-in for Qantas Domestic
- Was for seemless connection bus (less seemless than it implies)

On a separate ticket I'd allow for as long a transfer as you can stomach.

​​​​If you are speedy and lucky you may get the option to get on to an earlier flight - but accept that you may end up with a long wait but that you can use that time to shower to freshen up and have a spot of breakfast.

Also note that QF are generally strick on cabin bags being under 7Kg and and heavier bags brought off your inbound flight will likely require check-in (and/or frantic repacking) at the seemless transfer desk, even in J.
Omba and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.