FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   And the Top Award for Stupidity Goes To... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1962023-top-award-stupidity-goes.html)

Cofyknsult Mar 22, 2019 7:34 am

And the Top Award for Stupidity Goes To...

CDG 2A, I check in at the BA Business Class counter with two bags, having a short connection in LHR to American (T5 to T3), 110 minutes in the best of cases, fully knowing that my BA flight has Expertflyer statistics of being late 74% of the time.

I notice that the agent affixes to each of my 2 bags a "LONG Transit Connection at LHR" tag and I ask her to exchange them for "SHORT Transit".

"Oh, we are out of them" is the reply. "We haven't had them for weeks".
I then tell her that the "LONG" tag will be counterproductive, to which she replies that no tag at all will mean my bags won't be transfered at all.

WHAT IS WRONG with this airline? How difficult is it to re-supply a tag and why does it take weeks? Such incompetence is frightening.

thebigben Mar 22, 2019 7:36 am

I thought 110 minutes was a long transfer as far as tags are concerned. Maybe I'm wrong.

onobond Mar 22, 2019 7:40 am

Not convinced only BA is to be blamed. There is the spirit of all the experiences of Monsieur Hulot in this airport

hearingdouble Mar 22, 2019 7:58 am

Did your bags make the connection? If so, I'm not really sure what's so "incompetent" or "frightening" about this...?

Steve in Olympia Mar 22, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble (Post 30916698)
Did your bags make the connection? If so, I'm not really sure what's so "incompetent" or "frightening" about this...?

It is "incompetent" that they haven't restocked the correct tags after several weeks.
It is "frightening" that the OP had to spend the duration of the flight worrying whether the mislabeled bags made the connection.

KARFA Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am

I didn't think the "Long" and "Short" labels made any difference. The bags are all sorted and managed automatically on the basis of what's in the bar code.

golfmad Mar 22, 2019 9:42 am

OP, did the bags make it?

TraumaDoc Mar 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 30917041)
OP, did the bags make it?

I'm guessing, or we'd have heard about it.

The tags make no difference, Lord knows why they still have them... Much like the priority tags, although at least they make people feel important.

As the bags get taken out the bins, if there's a connecting sector on the tag they get fed straight into the system and sent to the relevant flight's bin... This is based on a computer reading the code. The purple tag has nothing to do with it.

argonath Mar 22, 2019 2:42 pm

So the top award for stupidity should go to who again ? ;)

Scrudgy Mar 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Really you could put anything on the label, it means nothing. The barcode is everything.

FlyerTalker39574 Mar 22, 2019 3:37 pm

110 mins doesn’t allow for some T3 lounge hopping.

Steve in Olympia Mar 22, 2019 7:48 pm

If only BA had some means of transporting a new stock of "Short Connection" tags from another airport.....

LTN Phobia Mar 22, 2019 8:48 pm

I still fail to understand why BA simply don't scrap priority tags and connection tags. They're just supposedly to make passengers feel better but actually, they are making them feel worse.

HIDDY Mar 22, 2019 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 30919129)
I still fail to understand why BA simply don't scrap priority tags and connection tags. They're just supposedly to make passengers feel better but actually, they are making them feel worse.

I thought they'd scrapped them years ago. Unless they're just using up old stock whenever a nervous passenger asks for one.

Cofyknsult Mar 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 30916855)
It is "incompetent" that they haven't restocked the correct tags after several weeks.
It is "frightening" that the OP had to spend the duration of the flight worrying whether the mislabeled bags made the connection.

Actually both.. As things went, the BA flight was among the 26% arriving on time and at a gate (not a remote stand). I made it to T3 AA by entering the UK and taking the Heathrow Express to T3 (far quicker than going through "Connections").. AA had them listed in the system but not received, the agent made phone calls at which point they were located and delivered to AA at at T minus... something.. The AA gate agent to whom I had spoken paged me with the info, whichI found excellent service. So it all ended well.
Not restocking transit labels for weeks has no excuse. It is not rocket science.