Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And the Top Award for Stupidity Goes To...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Exclamation And the Top Award for Stupidity Goes To...

CDG 2A, I check in at the BA Business Class counter with two bags, having a short connection in LHR to American (T5 to T3), 110 minutes in the best of cases, fully knowing that my BA flight has Expertflyer statistics of being late 74% of the time.

I notice that the agent affixes to each of my 2 bags a "LONG Transit Connection at LHR" tag and I ask her to exchange them for "SHORT Transit".

"Oh, we are out of them" is the reply. "We haven't had them for weeks".
I then tell her that the "LONG" tag will be counterproductive, to which she replies that no tag at all will mean my bags won't be transfered at all.

WHAT IS WRONG with this airline? How difficult is it to re-supply a tag and why does it take weeks? Such incompetence is frightening.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I thought 110 minutes was a long transfer as far as tags are concerned. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Not convinced only BA is to be blamed. There is the spirit of all the experiences of Monsieur Hulot in this airport
EuropeanPete and ajamieson like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:58 am

Did your bags make the connection? If so, I'm not really sure what's so "incompetent" or "frightening" about this...?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Did your bags make the connection? If so, I'm not really sure what's so "incompetent" or "frightening" about this...?
It is "incompetent" that they haven't restocked the correct tags after several weeks.
It is "frightening" that the OP had to spend the duration of the flight worrying whether the mislabeled bags made the connection.
nancypants and HawaiianGuy like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I didn't think the "Long" and "Short" labels made any difference. The bags are all sorted and managed automatically on the basis of what's in the bar code.
shefgab, salehir, JaysonW and 12 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
OP, did the bags make it?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by golfmad
OP, did the bags make it?
I'm guessing, or we'd have heard about it.

The tags make no difference, Lord knows why they still have them... Much like the priority tags, although at least they make people feel important.

As the bags get taken out the bins, if there's a connecting sector on the tag they get fed straight into the system and sent to the relevant flight's bin... This is based on a computer reading the code. The purple tag has nothing to do with it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:42 pm

So the top award for stupidity should go to who again ?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Really you could put anything on the label, it means nothing. The barcode is everything.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended

110 mins doesn’t allow for some T3 lounge hopping.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:48 pm

If only BA had some means of transporting a new stock of "Short Connection" tags from another airport.....
nancypants, kosy91 and VonS like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I still fail to understand why BA simply don't scrap priority tags and connection tags. They're just supposedly to make passengers feel better but actually, they are making them feel worse.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I still fail to understand why BA simply don't scrap priority tags and connection tags. They're just supposedly to make passengers feel better but actually, they are making them feel worse.
I thought they'd scrapped them years ago. Unless they're just using up old stock whenever a nervous passenger asks for one.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
It is "incompetent" that they haven't restocked the correct tags after several weeks.
It is "frightening" that the OP had to spend the duration of the flight worrying whether the mislabeled bags made the connection.

Actually both.. As things went, the BA flight was among the 26% arriving on time and at a gate (not a remote stand). I made it to T3 AA by entering the UK and taking the Heathrow Express to T3 (far quicker than going through "Connections").. AA had them listed in the system but not received, the agent made phone calls at which point they were located and delivered to AA at at T minus... something.. The AA gate agent to whom I had spoken paged me with the info, whichI found excellent service. So it all ended well.
Not restocking transit labels for weeks has no excuse. It is not rocket science.
Steve in Olympia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.