Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"But All Seats Are The Same"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Once when boarding I saw someone in my FC 2A seat. The person resisted moving and claimed to have made a mistake about his seat assignment. It was something like 31E, middle seat in the back of coach with not a single digit or letter in common with the seat he had "mistakenly" taken. I had to call for a FA to remove the guy and at that point I very loudly remarked to the FA that I considered it amazing that someone could possibly confuse 2A with 31E.

Instead of the argument that all seats are the same, I've been told that they all arrive at the same time. Once I told the seatnapper that they would all arrive later than scheduled if he didn't immediately move to his own assigned seat.

I always make a point of swapping blankets and pillows if someone has already made themself comfortable in my business or first class seat. I learned this after someone camped out in my seat while I was using the lavatory during boarding and the dude managed to spill his PDB beer on my pillow and blanket, perhaps in an attempt to mark the territory. [Another time my seatmate was unhappy about my refusal to swap my business class upper deck aisle for his window seat next to mine managed to rather deliberately spill PDB orange juice on my seat, but a FA saw this and quickly swapped the seat cushions, so that he got the window seat saturated with OJ.]
If he was in the back I would have said, the front arrives first !
rosege likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HMPS
If he was in the back I would have said, the front arrives first !
... which is why the Flight Crew have a strong sense of self-preservation.
PETER01, HMPS, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given that 99% of all my flights have been way down the back it's no surprise I've never had to tell a silly arse to move.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:17 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
What has happened to me was (and this is fairly typical of the gentleman and ladies (sic) that frequent this route and others where there are large nests of Expat Brits who have a complete insouciance and indifference to the fact that they are no longer in the Motherland) that a couple installed themselves in 1A and 1B. The crew had either not noticed as it was boarding or they were hidden by the people behind. It was one of those no-tray no-bulkhead Seats on those LGW based A320s.

I asked him if he was in the right seat and he told me to mind my own Business. Before I could answer, the CSM stepped in and asked for his and her BP. She was meant to sit there, he was down the back, I know and care not wither. Getting up rather aggressively he said « Satisfied now you f***ing Old Cow ». It was like being back at work!

»How dare you call me old! » was my parting shot.

The baggage at at the window told me that I was an arrogant sow and that she didn’t want to hear another word out of me. Unfortunately, the CSM got her out and to cut a long story short told that she would not be travelling to Gatwick in that seat as it was an emergency exit and he thought that she had been drinking. She was told that there was a seat in 6D. By this time, realising that she was within a knife edge of leaving the flight, she complied. The CSM asked me how I was and spoilt me all the way to ALC.

Well done OP - I had someone to deal with the situation but you should have and didn’t.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
[left]... the gentleman and ladies (sic) that frequent this route and others where there are large nests of Expat Brits who have a complete insouciance and indifference to the fact that they are no longer in the Motherland...
Ah, those would be the 'British Holidaymakers' often found in the headlines of your tabloids, but more often attaining infamy when flying a certain, ahem, carrier that is not BA?

»How dare you call me old! » was my parting shot...
Having achieved geezerhood myself, I admire and applaud your quick wit! ^
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:01 pm

What has happened to me was (and this is fairly typical of the gentleman and l. Getting up rather aggressively he said « Satisfied now you f***ing Old Cow ». It was like being back at work!

<SNIPPED>

»How dare you call me old! » was my parting shot.

Well done OP - I had someone to deal with the situation but you should have and didn’t.
+

That was a hostile work place ! In the US they would be counseled seriously...
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:35 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HMPS
+

That was a hostile work place ! In the US they would be counseled seriously...
I dare say. My work place was aboard BA aircraft. It didn’t happen often, but happen it did. Mostly drink fuelled.
flygirl68, T8191 and Franky16 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

I dare say. My work place was aboard BA aircraft. It didn’t happen often, but happen it did. Mostly drink fuelled.
I blame Airside bars ... and Lounges!
HMPS, rapidex and Franky16 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Boarded my flight to BLL earlier this week towards the end of the boarding process and found someone already in my seat - a coveted Y exit row aisle.

"Excuse me you are in my seat" I said politely.
"Oh all seats are the same aren't they?" he replied. "Just take mine, I now have all my luggage above and my things in the seat back so that will just be easier for everyone"
"What is your seat number" I asked and after he found his boarding pass he replied, "18B"
"Ummm no, all seats are not the same" I replied, "so I prefer to sit here as per my boarding pass"
Cue much huffing and puffing and deliberate awkward slowness getting his stuff out of the overhead and seat pocket whilst looking round to other pax for their support.
"Thanks" I said after he had got everything. "F-Off" his reply to me

The FA at the exit row smiled at me and raised her eyebrows, probably thankful she did not have to intervene. Meanwhile our seat snatcher sort could not fit his carry-on in the overhead anywhere near his proper seat and it went even further back than his seat, almost to the rear galley it seemed.

Things aint what they used to be on BA, clientele really going downhill
The cheek of that passenger!! And his lack of grace at going to his ****ing allocated seat. Well done you!
Franky16 and SP9652 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
To be fair, I've occasionally sat myself down in my assigned seat, and shortly afterwards been challenged, whereupon I confidently and with a carefully measured level of disdain I flourish my boarding pass, confident that the interloper will shortly be put in their place (literally). Then I find I'm in the seat I had in the previous flight.

Life is a lot more interesting as you age.

This is brilliant. As BA Gold I am used to getting 1A. On a recent flight I was in 1F but muscle memory sent me to 1A.

I was mortified when I realised what I had done, because I wasnt "chancing it". Yeah, old age sucks.
HIDDY and Franky16 like this.

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 27, 2019 at 2:47 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
as it was an emergency exit and he thought that she had been drinking.
Wait, is there actually a rule about occupying an exit row after you've been drinking?! If there is, I think I've fallen foul of it on more than a few occasions, but never attracted the attention of the cabin crew with it. To be fair, I've never been drinking to the extent that I'd be unable to open the door, but still...
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I have also gone to "exit row A" when I should have been in "exit row F", on more than one type of aircraft and carrier - most recently only a few weeks ago. I have just apologised as gracefully as I can and moved over to the correct seat whenever this has happened.

People do make mistakes, and as long as everyone admits that (they made one, and that it was an innocent mistake, respectively) then we can carry on sitting where allocated and be happy.

As to the original story, that's quite some cheek. I'm glad the OP got the offender back to the seat they were allocated - they were clearly not admitting any mistake at all.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
I boarded at Luxembourg last week to find a couple sitting in my seat (I was allocated 1F) and told me that it's the "same seat" and then kept pulling on my seat once airborne to get up as some sort of weirdo revenge for not letting them enjoy the bulkhead seat I selected for myself lol
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by OneworldHarj
I boarded at Luxembourg last week to find a couple sitting in my seat (I was allocated 1F) and told me that it's the "same seat" and then kept pulling on my seat once airborne to get up as some sort of weirdo revenge for not letting them enjoy the bulkhead seat I selected for myself lol
You should have timed your recline just as s/he started getting up !
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Two points spring to mind:
1. on any Saudiair flight, the seat number on your boarding pass is merely a starting point for the negotiation of where you sit!
2. (anecdotally) I boarded a BA A32X and made my way to the A seat behind the gapped A seat / exit row (haven't seen that config for a while, mind...) to find someone in my seat. I did the usual, "Sorry, but that's my seat..." then there was the expected huffing and puffing and shuffling as this chap extricated himself from my seat and moved sideways into his actual assigned seat (the C in that row). Midway through this operation it became clear to me that this chap was actually disabled (and part of the GB basketball team heading out to a tournament in Italy - I had seen them in LHR before boarding). I was looking for the hole in the fuselage to descend into as, by now, I was the heartless b*****d making this bloke move seats!
Franky16, Thysk and Maestro Ramen like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.