Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"But All Seats Are The Same"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've had a few where they've accidentally been in the wrong row (including myself, to my shame). Usually these seats have been comparable so we just leave it where we are.

But this guy is a pure chancer. To have the cheek to say "f-off" after they're rumbled is ballsy.

Sounds like it was very well handled!
GCab, strickerj, Franky16 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Originally Posted by Betterthanyou

Nobody, and I mean nobody, poaches my seat and gets away with it. Heck, I say no to swap requests too. I have split up couples and parents from teens as a result of poaching. Want to sit together? Pay for it. I did.
I'm with you on this one, I'm generally ok with seat swapping on request if the swap is equivalent or better but I've turned a few people down who were trying to swap my good seat with a crappy one in the middle right at the back. I appreciate of course that the infrequent flyer probably doesn't know the difference and the request may be innocent but I've certainly turned down a chancer or two.

One flight I had two ladies during next to me in the middle seats of a 3-4-3, the one next to me asked me to swap with the lady next to her. When I said no she concocted a rather elaborate story emerged as to why I should swap, a story that changed a number of times throughout the telling.
strickerj, Franky16 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Funny how none of the GGL ever camp in 18B to say "all seats are the same, take 1C".
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I may have been inclined to say, loudly enough for everyone to hear - "I'm sorry, why did you just tell me to F___ off when I simply asked you to let me sit in my assigned seat?"
that would have been me
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had something similar happen to me on United last year. I found a passenger in my exit row aisle and when I said it was my seat he said "I was under the impression this airline was open seating". I said it most certainly was not so after he found his BP for a middle seat further back he claimed he "must have gotten my seat confused with his connecting flight". Right
Franky16 and Cotumely like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by BOH
Boarded my flight to BLL earlier this week towards the end of the boarding process and found someone already in my seat - a coveted Y exit row aisle.

"Excuse me you are in my seat" I said politely.
"Oh all seats are the same aren't they?" he replied. "Just take mine, I now have all my luggage above and my things in the seat back so that will just be easier for everyone"
"What is your seat number" I asked and after he found his boarding pass he replied, "18B"
"Ummm no, all seats are not the same" I replied, "so I prefer to sit here as per my boarding pass"
Cue much huffing and puffing and deliberate awkward slowness getting his stuff out of the overhead and seat pocket whilst looking round to other pax for their support.
"Thanks" I said after he had got everything. "F-Off" his reply to me

The FA at the exit row smiled at me and raised her eyebrows, probably thankful she did not have to intervene. Meanwhile our seat snatcher sort could not fit his carry-on in the overhead anywhere near his proper seat and it went even further back than his seat, almost to the rear galley it seemed.

Things aint what they used to be on BA, clientele really going downhill
But isn't such uncivility increasing by the day ?

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Sounds like a complete bell end. I apreciate that the CC want to get the A/c off on time, but if I were the Captain and knew about this passenger I'd say this behaviour was worthy of an off load.
Nope, not defensible by the airline UNLESS the interloper was becoming belligerent . Beside it would cost BA a lot.

The grime of years of superficial cleaning is not something that can be attributed to dirty passengers...
Agreed.

Originally Posted by CMK10
I had something similar happen to me on United last year. I found a passenger in my exit row aisle and when I said it was my seat he said "I was under the impression this airline was open seating". I said it most certainly was not so after he found his BP for a middle seat further back he claimed he "must have gotten my seat confused with his connecting flight". Right
You gotta hand it to him for a well tried recovery.
Franky16 likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 23, 2019 at 12:28 am Reason: Fix quote
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Ha ha ha

at least in this instance if the chancer hadn’t moved they would of been moved.

Compare that to cross country trains

you appear to be in my seat

- yeo

can you please move
- F off

hmm. Excuse me nice mr member of train staff, there’s someone in my reserved seat and they won’t move.

- what do you want me to do about it ? The trains full, I suggest you get comfy on the floor

🤬🤬🤬

cs
Thats’s a shame. I’ve invited many interlopers to become acquainted with accommodation elsewhere on my trains.

The upside to trains, though, is that many seats are the same. Sometimes much simpler to find the passenger an equivalent (if not better) seat, and then deal with someone’s attitude without having the original passenger have to witness it all.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
When told "all plane seats are the same..." I would have said "no, I paid Ł75 to reserve this seat, and unlike BOB I only take cash if you want to take it."
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Did they think they were on Ryanair or something?

I would have almost certainly challenged them on their last response, but then I just hate rude people.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:17 am

I had this with a bulkhead aisle seat on a VA LGW BGI flight last year. Bloke plonked himself down and when I asked him to move insisted that all seats were open ticket, then that cabin crew had moved him to that seat. When I asked to see his BP he made a massive show of not being able to find it. The conversation continued with me showing him my BP and politely explaining I’d booked that seat. He eventually said ‘Can’t you just sit over there?’ pointing behind him vaguely. I replied ‘No I’d like to sit in my allocated seat and you need to do the same’. He then went for the stupid sexist option of saying ‘Alright love. Calm down’ despite the fact I hadn’t raised my voice one iota which lost him whatever residual rapport he might have had with anyone female nearby including a CC who wasn’t getting involved prior. She stepped over and said ‘ We told you to sit there’ indicating a single empty seat some rows back. Realising he’d lost this game of musical chairs he took a good three minutes gathering up his crap (including the cushion, blanket and earphones from my seat) and wandering the long way round to his actual seat.

I had to ask CC to replace my seat equipment which they were happy to do rather that challenge the guy again. I fully believe if he hadn’t become patronisingly sexist and they hadn’t intervened he would have just remained in the seat (and I’d have probably given up as I got no support or assistance from anywhere else prior to the exchange)
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:34 am

Quite amazing the cheek of some people. If I’m flying Y I do often board very last and try to take an empty row if available, but occasionally you get some last-minute transfer pax who show up just before doors close and turns out it’s their seats. If that happens then like most normal people I would of course politely move, rather than being a complete d*ck and pretending the seat belongs to me.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
To be fair, I've occasionally sat myself down in my assigned seat, and shortly afterwards been challenged, whereupon I confidently and with a carefully measured level of disdain I flourish my boarding pass, confident that the interloper will shortly be put in their place (literally). Then I find I'm in the seat I had in the previous flight.

Life is a lot more interesting as you age.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have the potential for error, with an upcoming 744 booking. Instead of our 'invariable' 63A/B we have 64J/K ... i will have to concentrate very hard to ensure we don't board on automatic and sit in the wrong seats!
polinka and Franky16 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I "would probably" have had this the other night BRU-LHR booked avios @ t-80mins. Board early and take middle seat (not many left). Couple come along and ask me to move to the window because they "accidentally booked seat A and C". For me it was a result moving to the window, but I did chuckle that they had "made a mistake with the seat booking and can they sit together". Off course, I did know that they were playing the seat game to try and snag an empty middle seat.

Not quite the same but you know what I mean.
strickerj, Franky16 and Cotumely like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I "would probably" have had this the other night BRU-LHR booked avios @ t-80mins. Board early and take middle seat (not many left). Couple come along and ask me to move to the window because they "accidentally booked seat A and C". For me it was a result moving to the window, but I did chuckle that they had "made a mistake with the seat booking and can they sit together". Off course, I did know that they were playing the seat game to try and snag an empty middle seat.
This happened to me once. The couple asked politely if I would care to change seats to avoid sitting between them, but were quite insistent that I take the window seat. I dislike window seats, finding them very claustrophobic, but they would not give up the aisle and so we all ended up sitting in our assigned seats. They thought I was being bloody-minded but I genuinely would always choose a middle seat over a window seat on a short ET flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.