FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   “All departures to America from T5B” (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1961863-all-departures-america-t5b.html)

skipness1E Mar 21, 2019 6:43 am

“All departures to America from T5B”

Just heard from a VERY good source and obviously can’t include the A380s as the three airbridge gates are on T5C.
Inbound B747 holding for T5C even though gates free at T5B as it’s departing to a non US destination. New policy?

MTJ Bound Mar 21, 2019 7:04 am

This would be a nice improvement but seems unnecessary and quite challenging logistically.

woody90 Mar 21, 2019 7:17 am

Everything will make sense in time...

GaxxyFlyer Mar 21, 2019 7:18 am

pre clearance prep?

Steve_ZA Mar 21, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by woody90 (Post 30912691)
Everything will make sense in time...

Pre-clearance?

Deltus Mar 21, 2019 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA (Post 30912698)
Pre-clearance?

Hopefully not! Presumably that would make the T5B lounge out-of-bounds to non-US passengers...

UKtravelbear Mar 21, 2019 7:22 am

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer (Post 30912696)
pre clearance prep?

There would be merry hell to pay if pre clearance were only available to BA / AA at LHR.

So no.

Anyway I thought T5 was already full hence why BA also used T3. Are BA really going to shunt more flights to T3 to accommodate AA at T5? I think not.

ratypus Mar 21, 2019 7:24 am

American Airlines moving to T5 so that all TATL is in one place and we lose the T3-5 connections for Europe-USA and BA moving more non-US long-haul flights to T3 - with a new OneWorld lounge in both...?

florens Mar 21, 2019 7:27 am

American as in airline or country (?) in OP? :confused:

ratypus Mar 21, 2019 7:32 am

I think the OP meant all BA-operated flights to/from the US have started using T5B only.

Thence, we have speculation to why that might be....(assuming it is a pre-cursor to something else, and not just an arbitrary logistical challenge BA have set themselves...)

My speculative vote was then than American Airlines might move to join BA in T5B to bring the TATL joint venture under one roof. BA would have to move some more flights over to T3, but would I guess look to prioritize those flights with the fewest premium connections to the US and other T5 flights...

Steve_ZA Mar 21, 2019 7:39 am

Pre-Clearance would be a negative in my view as Global Entry negates much of that benefit.

Perhaps if AA moves to T5B all/most/some flights without a First cabin will move to T3.

CCayley Mar 21, 2019 7:40 am

It's all pure speculation, of course, but if it meant:

AA flights from T5;
Preclearance at T5B;
and a CCR at T3 to reflect more long haul flights being swapped to there;

then I'd be happy with the change.

Misco60 Mar 21, 2019 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA (Post 30912777)
Pre-Clearance would be a negative in my view as Global Entry negates much of that benefit.

Surely, pre-clearance would be a huge benefit for those without Global Entry (who comprise the vast majority of passengers)?

Perhaps I'm misreading your post, but you seem to be saying that you would not like to see pre-clearance at LHR because then every Tom, Dick and Harry would have the same easy entry to the US that you currently enjoy.

ratypus Mar 21, 2019 7:49 am

Plus if you have GE, it still makes immigration quicker than for everyone else at the pre-clearance....? Which - given the connections model BA runs at T5, could be really important as without GE you would need to allow longer for connections...

hshs Mar 21, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 (Post 30912790)
Surely, pre-clearance would be a huge benefit for those without Global Entry (who comprise the vast majority of passengers)?

Perhaps I'm misreading your post, but you seem to be saying that you would not like to see pre-clearance at LHR because then every Tom, Dick and Harry would have the same easy entry to the US that you currently enjoy.

Pre-Clearance isn't all it's cracked up to be. At pre-clearance in Dublin, they don't trust that Dublin airport has done its scanning job properly, so out come your liquids and electronics again and off come your shoes. If several US-bound flights are departing at the same time, the queues can be enormous. Global Entry helps with that, of course, but I still find GE on arrival quicker than on departure.

One other nice thing about immigration on arrival is that you clear into a quieter area of the airport. With pre-clearance, you're treated like a domestic flight and disembark into a terminal thronged with hordes of departing passengers.

Steve_ZA Mar 21, 2019 7:55 am

No I don't have a problem with everyone having Pre-Clearance, just that it means you have to be at the airport much earlier and tight connections are problematic.

Edit to Add: Also those with CCR and GF access will also have to head to the gate at least an hour, possibly 2 hours, before departure which would be a negative for all of them

frank_poulankh Mar 21, 2019 8:37 am

Originally Posted by hshs (Post 30912812)
Pre-Clearance isn't all it's cracked up to be. At pre-clearance in Dublin, they don't trust that Dublin airport has done its scanning job properly, so out come your liquids and electronics again and off come your shoes. If several US-bound flights are departing at the same time, the queues can be enormous. Global Entry helps with that, of course, but I still find GE on arrival quicker than on departure.

One other nice thing about immigration on arrival is that you clear into a quieter area of the airport. With pre-clearance, you're treated like a domestic flight and disembark into a terminal thronged with hordes of departing passengers.

I take your points but the through-checking of hold luggage that pre-clearance offered me on my one and only experience of it to date was a great advantage.

Having had a CBP officer threaten to send me home from PHL for “abusing the ESTA system” (I make just three 6 night trips per year!?) on a previous trip, I’m now much happier with the idea of being sent back to BHX from pre-clearance at DUB, than from, say, JFK to LHR :D YMMV.

VFRonTop Mar 21, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by hshs (Post 30912812)

It's not a trust issue more of a regulatory issue. The US and Ireland/EU have different screening requirements and therefore all passengers going airside at DUB pass through Irish security screening and passengers travelling to the US (on a pre-screened flight) also pass through US security. There was a trail in SNN a few years ago looking to a combined screening solution but I haven't heard anything of it since. Link

T8191 Mar 21, 2019 9:21 am

Aside from the T5B issue, I’ve done pre-clearance at DUB a few times (some good, some awful) and a fair few more clearing on arriving in the US (without GE, because I’m an infrequent peasant).

Give me pre-clearance any day ... the last thing I want at the end of a long flight/day is horsing around in an Immigration line at destination. And, IME, mingling with the Domestic pax at the far end is perfectly survivable if you you don’t have your head up your backside. At PHX, after Immigration & Customs you end up in the Reclaim Hall with everyone else anyway ... after a longggg walk!

I use LHR too infrequently to comment on the theory being expounded ... I can see benefits and disadvantages, especially with the very poor T3-T5 connection issue.

Speedbird676 Mar 21, 2019 10:58 am

Originally Posted by VFRonTop (Post 30912987)
It's not a trust issue more of a regulatory issue. The US and Ireland/EU have different screening requirements and therefore all passengers going airside at DUB pass through Irish security screening and passengers travelling to the US (on a pre-screened flight) also pass through US security. There was a trail in SNN a few years ago looking to a combined screening solution but I haven't heard anything of it since. Link

The same is true at AUH. You first go through regular security screening to get airside and then a second security screening to enter the US CBP area before meeting an immigration officer. I've generally found the CBP officers based in AUH more friendly than those at any US airport.

gw76 Mar 21, 2019 11:23 am

.... anyway. Back to T5B...

TheSafariMan Mar 21, 2019 11:42 am

my guess is they are going to stockpile all of the 772s with Rockwell-Collins IFE at T5B so all of us flying in/out of the NYC area are guaranteed the worst possible experience, especially on the 8-hour return home...

Airprox Mar 21, 2019 11:52 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E (Post 30912584)
Just heard from a VERY good source and obviously can’t include the A380s as the three airbridge gates are on T5C.
Inbound B747 holding for T5C even though gates free at T5B as it’s departing to a non US destination. New policy?

T5B has four A380 capable stands.

skipness1E Mar 21, 2019 11:59 am

T5B CAN handle A380s but has no 3-airbridge equipped gates (yet).

T8191 Mar 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox (Post 30913728)
T5B has four A380 capable stands.

Originally Posted by skipness1E (Post 30913752)
T5B CAN handle A380s but has no 3-airbridge equipped gates (yet).

Opinion is divided l.. :D

Steve_ZA Mar 21, 2019 12:25 pm

T5B stands 544-558 (5 in total) are wide enough for an A380 - I alighted at one of these recently when all the capable gates at T5C were either obstructed or faulty. None of these have 3 airbridges though, so if they are used then the upper deck passengers need to disembark via the aircraft's internal stairs.

lcylocal Mar 21, 2019 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 30913134)
I use LHR too infrequently to comment on the theory being expounded ... I can see benefits and disadvantages, especially with the very poor T3-T5 connection issue.

I should say being London based I have no personal experience of this. However, it does seem to me that the connections issue revolves around a few things like crowded and uncomfortable waiting areas, relatively long wait times, unfriendly staff and the lack of premium routes.

All of which could be solved with some limited investment in more buses, better control and passenger information systems, more and better trained staff and a better offer for premium passengers. Probably harder to identify will be a little more space for waiting, but some of this would be negated with a more frequent service.

I know probably easier said than done but there are real benefits of reorganising things. For example IRROPs could be much more smoothly handled for LHR-JFK passengers if AA/BA are co-located at T5B and T8.

Airprox Mar 21, 2019 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA (Post 30913850)
T5B stands 544-558 (5 in total) are wide enough for an A380 - I alighted at one of these recently when all the capable gates at T5C were either obstructed or faulty. None of these have 3 airbridges though, so if they are used then the upper deck passengers need to disembark via the aircraft's internal stairs.

4 in total, 544-547. 548 is not A380 accessible, 558 is on T5C.

Steve_ZA Mar 21, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox (Post 30914023)
4 in total, 544-547. 548 is not A380 accessible, 558 is on T5C.

Is 558 slightly narrower? Looks similar to 557 but I obviously have never measured it myself :)

PUCCI GALORE Mar 21, 2019 1:41 pm

As far as I can see we have gone from all of T5B being for flights to the USA to pre-clearance in a single bound - yet for the life of me I cannot see how they could process all those passengers in that space. Maybe I will wait and offer opinion when this is actual fact rather than speculation on our parts.

evacboy Mar 21, 2019 1:46 pm

While no doubt this would be a great addition, someone previously made the point in another thread about the lack of practicality of these as US departures/arrivals are pretty skewed towards one part of the day, which would make for poor gate utilisation.

NickB Mar 21, 2019 1:47 pm

That would have been true 10 years ago maybe but I do not think that it is true anymore. I do not have GE but I find entry into the US since the kiosks have been in place no longer the major pain than it used to be. If you have pre-clearance, it means that you front-load the extra time needed to proceed through clearance. And since you need to plan on the basis of the worst case scenario, it means that you must turn up at the airport a long-time in advance, especially where you have a large number of flights leaving within the same departure window, which would be the case with London. If you want to have some sense of how counter-productive pre-clearance can be in some circumstances, just turn up any saturday at AUA and see the humungous queues of people "pre-clearing", which results in having to turn up at the airport much, much earlier than would otherwise be the case.

Originally Posted by ratypus (Post 30912805)
Plus if you have GE, it still makes immigration quicker than for everyone else at the pre-clearance....? Which - given the connections model BA runs at T5, could be really important as without GE you would need to allow longer for connections...

That would not work like that. Minimum connection times would have to be calculated so as to ensure that the quasi-totality of passengers can make the connection, so, even with GE, your minimum connection time would be based on the lowest common denominator of passenger lambda. What you would gain is some more time in the lounge, assuming that the lounge is located after pre-clearance. I suspect that a consequence might also be lounge-overcrowding.

T8191 Mar 21, 2019 2:09 pm

Ah, PUCCI, with the right incentives they coukd get rid of a lot of shops to create the space. ISTR there’s a aubstantial core to T5B, and as many here know the BA Lounge upstairs is quite large for the custom it receives. I could see a solution.

World Traveller Fuss Mar 21, 2019 2:21 pm

And/or AA Lounge in T5B? Might be good for BAEC Silver/Gold looking for hot food and showers.

Airprox Mar 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA (Post 30914037)
Is 558 slightly narrower? Looks similar to 557 but I obviously have never measured it myself :)

If you mean 548, it's not about the width, the pavement hasn't been strengthened to support the A380. 558 and 557 are on T5C and are both A380 capable, but 558 is a non-contact stand.

HIDDY Mar 21, 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ratypus (Post 30912714)
American Airlines moving to T5

Never likely to use it so didn't give it much attention but I'm sure I read something recently about that being on the cards. If there's room then it would make sense.

Lost-in-Space Mar 21, 2019 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 30914122)
As far as I can see we have gone from all of T5B being for flights to the USA to pre-clearance in a single bound - yet for the life of me I cannot see how they could process all those passengers in that space. Maybe I will wait and offer opinion when this is actual fact rather than speculation on our parts.

Señora Pucci, you beat me too it! I couldn't see how a 747 waiting for a gate at T5C can immediately become 'pre-clearance is starting at T5B'. I've only had one small beer and two glasses of wine, so I don't think my misunderstanding is due to alcohol consumption. (I'm eating albondigas, but I don't think that's entirely relevant.)

Perhaps it's due to my advancing years. Can some of the more switched on members of FT explain how a plane waiting for a gate at T5C means pre-clearance is coming to T5B?

Yours,
Confused.

UKtravelbear Mar 21, 2019 2:52 pm

I've had a look at the AA board

There is not a peep about any possible AA move to T5. Nothing, Nul, NADA

I imagined wails of 'no' at them being deprived of the CX and QF loungesand the proposed AA Flagship Lounge in T3 and being forced to use BA Galleries in T5

But nothing!

SpeedbirdLHR Mar 21, 2019 3:03 pm

Sorry to disappoint, but USA departures from T5B has largely been around efficiencies. The team who do the passport checks/selectees and security searches can be based there with little need to be going between T5B and T5C. This also means that the swabbing equipment can be based at each gate and not need to be moved around. Moving them ends up with them having to be calibrated after each move.

Longer term there may be other benefits to having these flights in T5B.

steview111 Mar 21, 2019 3:45 pm

For what it’s worth there was an A380 parked at T5B yesterday afternoon when I was departing. First time I’ve seen that.