Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to make a booking with BA with more than one credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold

Hi

I’m planning to make a booking within the next couple of weeks, for myself and my wife.
The fares will probably cost around £8k+ however my main credit card only has a limit of just over £6k.
I don’t think (from what I’ve read so far) that I’d be able to use multiple cards of my own to pay the £8k fares!
Is that correct?

Is the only way around the problem to telephone BA to make the booking, and use my credit card to pay my fare and my wife’s credit card to pay her fare, and BA would then have us both on the same booking?

Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I'm guessing but I suspect that if you call the BA agents could take two credit cards and apply both payments to a single booking.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Will you be also booking a car or hotel? Could you do it all via BA and turn it into a holiday package allowing you to pay it in instalments thus alleviating the need to stump up all the money straight away?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I'm guessing but I suspect that if you call the BA agents could take two credit cards and apply both payments to a single booking.
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Will you be also booking a car or hotel? Could you do it all via BA and turn it into a holiday package allowing you to pay it in instalments thus alleviating the need to stump up all the money straight away?
We’ve booked via BA Holidays four or five times in recent years, and it is a brilliant option to avoid paying in one go at the outset.
However on this occasion we’d be staying with relatives with no need to book accommodation or car hire thus the reason for paying just for the flights.
I wonder though what could happen if I booked a single night’s accommodation and didn’t use it!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just book a car and don't pick it up. Might even make it cheaper, I've ended up with almost a free hotel a few times vis BA holidays.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by endoman
Just book a car and don't pick it up. Might even make it cheaper, I've ended up with almost a free hotel a few times vis BA holidays.
Sounds good, and no penalties or whatever from BA for not using the car hire or reserved hotel room?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA LTG MM
You could also put a couple of thousand onto the card which would give you sufficient limit for the transaction.
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:57 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
When I tried two cards, the BA agent had to separate the booking onto two different PNRs. This, of course, caused problems in getting seats together unless we paid extra for the non Gold card holder.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by hshs
You could also put a couple of thousand onto the card which would give you sufficient limit for the transaction.
Some card issuers permit this and some do not allow payments to be made on a card with a zero balance (in order to create extra headroom).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by hshs
Some card issuers don’t allow this as it could be perceived as money laundering. Call them to see if they are willing to do this temporarily or see if adding a car or hotel works, then you can pay the deposit and the rest of the balance immediately or st your leisure up to 5 weeks before departure.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I don't really know anything about this subject matter however this thread, for a 241 booking but makes reference to ba.com flight only bookings, is about splitting payments may be relevant and I saw this by our ever helpful @Anonba

Splitting payment across 2 credit cards

Originally Posted by Anonba
What you posted looks like a manual process that maybe only a manager would have access to and even then may not be available for flight only bookings .
Originally Posted by Anonba

If a sales agent is doing payment it goes through a payment browser that looks essentially the same as ba.com which only allows one card.

Ba hols bookings obviously you could do a deposit booking and then multiple cards to pay the balance.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Gorcat

Sounds good, and no penalties or whatever from BA for not using the car hire or reserved hotel room?
I've always used the hotel, but have read on here of several instances of people not picking up the car with no penalties.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
It's also worth calling your card company and asking for a limit increase and explain why you need it. I did this with my BA Amex a couple of years ago - if you have a good standing with the card issuer and a decent credit rating overall, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're uncomfortable having a large credit limit, just call to drop it back down again once you've paid it off (which is also what I did).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you happy with the price of £8k + for two tickets ?! Not sure where or when you're going but I'm pretty sure this forum could get you there cheaper !!
Deltus and bisonrav like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
It's also worth calling your card company and asking for a limit increase and explain why you need it. I did this with my BA Amex a couple of years ago - if you have a good standing with the card issuer and a decent credit rating overall, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're uncomfortable having a large credit limit, just call to drop it back down again once you've paid it off (which is also what I did).
+1 on this.
My card company was more than accomodating when I requested something similar last summer, they even pro-actively called me when I paid it off a month later if I wanted to lower it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.