“All departures to America from T5B”

Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Surely, pre-clearance would be a huge benefit for those without Global Entry (who comprise the vast majority of passengers)?

Perhaps I'm misreading your post, but you seem to be saying that you would not like to see pre-clearance at LHR because then every Tom, Dick and Harry would have the same easy entry to the US that you currently enjoy.
No I don't have a problem with everyone having Pre-Clearance, just that it means you have to be at the airport much earlier and tight connections are problematic.

Edit to Add: Also those with CCR and GF access will also have to head to the gate at least an hour, possibly 2 hours, before departure which would be a negative for all of them

Last edited by Steve_ZA; Mar 21, 2019 at 8:01 am
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by hshs
Pre-Clearance isn't all it's cracked up to be. At pre-clearance in Dublin, they don't trust that Dublin airport has done its scanning job properly, so out come your liquids and electronics again and off come your shoes. If several US-bound flights are departing at the same time, the queues can be enormous. Global Entry helps with that, of course, but I still find GE on arrival quicker than on departure.

One other nice thing about immigration on arrival is that you clear into a quieter area of the airport. With pre-clearance, you're treated like a domestic flight and disembark into a terminal thronged with hordes of departing passengers.
I take your points but the through-checking of hold luggage that pre-clearance offered me on my one and only experience of it to date was a great advantage.

Having had a CBP officer threaten to send me home from PHL for “abusing the ESTA system” (I make just three 6 night trips per year!?) on a previous trip, I’m now much happier with the idea of being sent back to BHX from pre-clearance at DUB, than from, say, JFK to LHR YMMV.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by hshs
Pre-Clearance isn't all it's cracked up to be. At pre-clearance in Dublin, they don't trust that Dublin airport has done its scanning job properly, so out come your liquids and electronics again and off come your shoes. If several US-bound flights are departing at the same time, the queues can be enormous. Global Entry helps with that, of course, but I still find GE on arrival quicker than on departure.
It's not a trust issue more of a regulatory issue. The US and Ireland/EU have different screening requirements and therefore all passengers going airside at DUB pass through Irish security screening and passengers travelling to the US (on a pre-screened flight) also pass through US security. There was a trail in SNN a few years ago looking to a combined screening solution but I haven't heard anything of it since. Link
noFODplease and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Aside from the T5B issue, I’ve done pre-clearance at DUB a few times (some good, some awful) and a fair few more clearing on arriving in the US (without GE, because I’m an infrequent peasant).

Give me pre-clearance any day ... the last thing I want at the end of a long flight/day is horsing around in an Immigration line at destination. And, IME, mingling with the Domestic pax at the far end is perfectly survivable if you you don’t have your head up your backside. At PHX, after Immigration & Customs you end up in the Reclaim Hall with everyone else anyway ... after a longggg walk!

I use LHR too infrequently to comment on the theory being expounded ... I can see benefits and disadvantages, especially with the very poor T3-T5 connection issue.
lhrpete, bakera and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by VFRonTop
It's not a trust issue more of a regulatory issue. The US and Ireland/EU have different screening requirements and therefore all passengers going airside at DUB pass through Irish security screening and passengers travelling to the US (on a pre-screened flight) also pass through US security. There was a trail in SNN a few years ago looking to a combined screening solution but I haven't heard anything of it since. Link
The same is true at AUH. You first go through regular security screening to get airside and then a second security screening to enter the US CBP area before meeting an immigration officer. I've generally found the CBP officers based in AUH more friendly than those at any US airport.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:23 am

.... anyway. Back to T5B...
SK, ajamieson, estate and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
my guess is they are going to stockpile all of the 772s with Rockwell-Collins IFE at T5B so all of us flying in/out of the NYC area are guaranteed the worst possible experience, especially on the 8-hour return home...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Just heard from a VERY good source and obviously can’t include the A380s as the three airbridge gates are on T5C.
Inbound B747 holding for T5C even though gates free at T5B as it’s departing to a non US destination. New policy?
T5B has four A380 capable stands.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
T5B CAN handle A380s but has no 3-airbridge equipped gates (yet).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Airprox
T5B has four A380 capable stands.
Originally Posted by skipness1E
T5B CAN handle A380s but has no 3-airbridge equipped gates (yet).
Opinion is divided l..
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:25 pm

T5B stands 544-558 (5 in total) are wide enough for an A380 - I alighted at one of these recently when all the capable gates at T5C were either obstructed or faulty. None of these have 3 airbridges though, so if they are used then the upper deck passengers need to disembark via the aircraft's internal stairs.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
I use LHR too infrequently to comment on the theory being expounded ... I can see benefits and disadvantages, especially with the very poor T3-T5 connection issue.
I should say being London based I have no personal experience of this. However, it does seem to me that the connections issue revolves around a few things like crowded and uncomfortable waiting areas, relatively long wait times, unfriendly staff and the lack of premium routes.

All of which could be solved with some limited investment in more buses, better control and passenger information systems, more and better trained staff and a better offer for premium passengers. Probably harder to identify will be a little more space for waiting, but some of this would be negated with a more frequent service.

I know probably easier said than done but there are real benefits of reorganising things. For example IRROPs could be much more smoothly handled for LHR-JFK passengers if AA/BA are co-located at T5B and T8.

Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
T5B stands 544-558 (5 in total) are wide enough for an A380 - I alighted at one of these recently when all the capable gates at T5C were either obstructed or faulty. None of these have 3 airbridges though, so if they are used then the upper deck passengers need to disembark via the aircraft's internal stairs.
4 in total, 544-547. 548 is not A380 accessible, 558 is on T5C.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
4 in total, 544-547. 548 is not A380 accessible, 558 is on T5C.
Is 558 slightly narrower? Looks similar to 557 but I obviously have never measured it myself
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:41 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
As far as I can see we have gone from all of T5B being for flights to the USA to pre-clearance in a single bound - yet for the life of me I cannot see how they could process all those passengers in that space. Maybe I will wait and offer opinion when this is actual fact rather than speculation on our parts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.