Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“All departures to America from T5B”

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
Incidentally, I thought that they no longer add the separate Delta screening in AMS. Have they re-introduced it recently?
I connected through AMS last night and D1, E1 are still closed up and empty, so there has been no change in the last few days.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There would be merry hell to pay if pre clearance were only available to BA / AA at LHR.

So no.

Anyway I thought T5 was already full hence why BA also used T3. Are BA really going to shunt more flights to T3 to accommodate AA at T5? I think not.
You'd hope T2 has been built with the possibility of Pre Clearance in mind and that would just leave T3, which would be fairly easy to set up in one of the spokes.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If LHR ever got pre clearance there would be one single facility not individual facilities in each terminal.

and Im not sure you’d get the airlines to split their flights up in that way either. BA would lose its quick connections and VS would have to have basically two separate operations US and everywhere else
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Just because a passenger has been cleared by CBP pre-clearance to fly to the US does not mean that the person won't be taken by the authorities on arrival to the US and turned back to where the passenger came in from. It's rare, but it happens to some who had what were previously considered approved ESTAs and/or visas associated with their (non-US) passports.
I read that in the small print, but I felt much better knowing that I was able to give US CBP the opportunity to send me back to Britain before I arrived in the US.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Vitaliy Yavorskiy
Pre-Clearance would be a negative in my view as Global Entry negates much of that benefit.

Perhaps if AA moves to T5B all/most/some flights without a First cabin will move to T3.
What would make a world of difference (in a good way) would be if US-originating AA and BA flight passengers arriving in LHR were deposited airside at T5B and able to connect out of T5 without dealing with the LHR security screening checkpoints.
Markie and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If LHR ever got pre clearance there would be one single facility not individual facilities in each terminal.

and Im not sure you’d get the airlines to split their flights up in that way either. BA would lose its quick connections and VS would have to have basically two separate operations US and everywhere else
I'm not sure why you say this with such certainty. Why couldn't there be preclearance in multiple terminals? We certainly have that in YYZ.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kellytoronto
I'm not sure why you say this with such certainty. Why couldn't there be preclearance in multiple terminals? We certainly have that in YYZ.
Also, it’s been possible for some US-bound flights from an airport to have access to CBP pre-clearance while it wasn’t used for one or more other US-bound flights from the same airport. YVR comes to mind as having been one such airport at least in the past.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Also, it’s been possible for some US-bound flights from an airport to have access to CBP pre-clearance while it wasn’t used for one or more other US-bound flights from the same airport. YVR comes to mind as having been one such airport at least in the past.
The Ethiopian Airlines flights that connect through DUB do not have pre-clearance.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I quite like the B gates lounge but not when I am departing from C. So unless I have a situation where some of my SH sectors (thinking particularly MAD if I am on one of the two widebodies) still remains at B gates on occasion after this move, then I personally don't mind it. Even then it's not a huge hardship. Longer Longhaul (LatAm or Asia) I tend to leave myself more time at the airport anyway so am happy enough ensconsed working in the main lounges

No firm view on pre-clearance as I've never been in a position to try it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by NickB
This is not pre-clearance. There is no CBP personnel at AMS. This is just additional security checks for Delta flights. You still need to through immigration and customs clearance on arrival in the US.
Incidentally, I thought that they no longer add the separate Delta screening in AMS. Have they re-introduced it recently?
I didn’t say it was pre-clearance. I just said that JFK immigration is slower than AMS +LHR securities.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:32 am

Won’t they lose revenue from lack of shopping for individuals pre-clearing at t5b?

and there’s no first or CCR lounge and likely won’t be one. No Cathay or qantas lounge. No Admirals Club. It’s a trade off to move AA to t5 to avoid the bus, not exactly a clear win.

i hate bussing to/from terminal 3, but as a passenger, you can fix that by flying BA instead of AA. I get great sleep in CW and have generally had a good experience with it.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Not a lot of shopping opportunities at T5B, IIRC. Is there much more than Boots, Duty Free and Smiths ... and a couple of coffee shops? It seems to be mainly Gate seating areas. Not been there for a while, though.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ratypus
I think the OP meant all BA-operated flights to/from the US have started using T5B only.

Thence, we have speculation to why that might be....(assuming it is a pre-cursor to something else, and not just an arbitrary logistical challenge BA have set themselves...)

My speculative vote was then than American Airlines might move to join BA in T5B to bring the TATL joint venture under one roof. BA would have to move some more flights over to T3, but would I guess look to prioritize those flights with the fewest premium connections to the US and other T5 flights...
Including Miami which departs from T3?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite

Correct. US and Canadian airlines preclear at YVR. CX, for instance, does not.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I hope they leave T5B just as it is. With few people using the lounge there.
I wouldn't want hordes of the entitled descending on the BA lounge...........
jctech likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.