Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“All departures to America from T5B”

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
While no doubt this would be a great addition, someone previously made the point in another thread about the lack of practicality of these as US departures/arrivals are pretty skewed towards one part of the day, which would make for poor gate utilisation.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Misco60
Surely, pre-clearance would be a huge benefit for those without Global Entry (who comprise the vast majority of passengers)?
That would have been true 10 years ago maybe but I do not think that it is true anymore. I do not have GE but I find entry into the US since the kiosks have been in place no longer the major pain than it used to be. If you have pre-clearance, it means that you front-load the extra time needed to proceed through clearance. And since you need to plan on the basis of the worst case scenario, it means that you must turn up at the airport a long-time in advance, especially where you have a large number of flights leaving within the same departure window, which would be the case with London. If you want to have some sense of how counter-productive pre-clearance can be in some circumstances, just turn up any saturday at AUA and see the humungous queues of people "pre-clearing", which results in having to turn up at the airport much, much earlier than would otherwise be the case.

Originally Posted by ratypus
Plus if you have GE, it still makes immigration quicker than for everyone else at the pre-clearance....? Which - given the connections model BA runs at T5, could be really important as without GE you would need to allow longer for connections...
That would not work like that. Minimum connection times would have to be calculated so as to ensure that the quasi-totality of passengers can make the connection, so, even with GE, your minimum connection time would be based on the lowest common denominator of passenger lambda. What you would gain is some more time in the lounge, assuming that the lounge is located after pre-clearance. I suspect that a consequence might also be lounge-overcrowding.
scolbath likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ah, PUCCI, with the right incentives they coukd get rid of a lot of shops to create the space. ISTR there’s a aubstantial core to T5B, and as many here know the BA Lounge upstairs is quite large for the custom it receives. I could see a solution.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 21, 2019 at 2:16 pm
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
And/or AA Lounge in T5B? Might be good for BAEC Silver/Gold looking for hot food and showers.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Is 558 slightly narrower? Looks similar to 557 but I obviously have never measured it myself
If you mean 548, it's not about the width, the pavement hasn't been strengthened to support the A380. 558 and 557 are on T5C and are both A380 capable, but 558 is a non-contact stand.
Steve_ZA and george77300 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ratypus
American Airlines moving to T5
Never likely to use it so didn't give it much attention but I'm sure I read something recently about that being on the cards. If there's room then it would make sense.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
As far as I can see we have gone from all of T5B being for flights to the USA to pre-clearance in a single bound - yet for the life of me I cannot see how they could process all those passengers in that space. Maybe I will wait and offer opinion when this is actual fact rather than speculation on our parts.
Seńora Pucci, you beat me too it! I couldn't see how a 747 waiting for a gate at T5C can immediately become 'pre-clearance is starting at T5B'. I've only had one small beer and two glasses of wine, so I don't think my misunderstanding is due to alcohol consumption. (I'm eating albondigas, but I don't think that's entirely relevant.)

Perhaps it's due to my advancing years. Can some of the more switched on members of FT explain how a plane waiting for a gate at T5C means pre-clearance is coming to T5B?

Yours,
Confused.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I've had a look at the AA board

There is not a peep about any possible AA move to T5. Nothing, Nul, NADA

I imagined wails of 'no' at them being deprived of the CX and QF loungesand the proposed AA Flagship Lounge in T3 and being forced to use BA Galleries in T5

But nothing!
jctech likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Sorry to disappoint, but USA departures from T5B has largely been around efficiencies. The team who do the passport checks/selectees and security searches can be based there with little need to be going between T5B and T5C. This also means that the swabbing equipment can be based at each gate and not need to be moved around. Moving them ends up with them having to be calibrated after each move.

Longer term there may be other benefits to having these flights in T5B.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:45 pm

For what it’s worth there was an A380 parked at T5B yesterday afternoon when I was departing. First time I’ve seen that.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CCayley
It's all pure speculation, of course, but if it meant:

AA flights from T5;
Preclearance at T5B;
and a CCR at T3 to reflect more long haul flights being swapped to there;

then I'd be happy with the change.
CBP Pre-Clearance at LHR would be yet another reason for me to avoid transits using BA via LHR en route to the US. Unless and until say an EU-LHR-US route would spare passengers the security re-screening hassle at LHR, don't be surprised if the additional line for CBP pre-clearance at LHR may require an increase in MCT to do a BA-BA routing via LHR on the way to the US. Also, for trips originating at LHR, CBP pre-clearance set-ups may require showing up at the airport earlier due to worse check-in cut-off times for passengers and/or luggage.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by frank_poulankh

I take your points but the through-checking of hold luggage that pre-clearance offered me on my one and only experience of it to date was a great advantage.

Having had a CBP officer threaten to send me home from PHL for “abusing the ESTA system” (I make just three 6 night trips per year!?) on a previous trip, I’m now much happier with the idea of being sent back to BHX from pre-clearance at DUB, than from, say, JFK to LHR YMMV.
Just because a passenger has been cleared by CBP pre-clearance to fly to the US does not mean that the person won't be taken by the authorities on arrival to the US and turned back to where the passenger came in from. It's rare, but it happens to some who had what were previously considered approved ESTAs and/or visas associated with their (non-US) passports.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by GUWonder
CBP Pre-Clearance at LHR would be yet another reason for me to avoid transits using BA via LHR en route to the US. Unless and until say an EU-LHR-US route would spare passengers the security re-screening hassle at LHR, don't be surprised if the additional line for CBP pre-clearance at LHR may require an increase in MCT to do a BA-BA routing via LHR on the way to the US. Also, for trips originating at LHR, CBP pre-clearance set-ups may require showing up at the airport earlier due to worse check-in cut-off times for passengers and/or luggage.
I have recently done AMS-LHR-JFK. At AMS, passengers on direct US bound flights are ushered into separate security but for me I didn’t even have to take my laptop out. LHR transfer was ok - total time spent in both airports is less than JFK immigration queue.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKRan

I have recently done AMS-LHR-JFK. At AMS, passengers on direct US bound flights are ushered into separate security but for me I didn’t even have to take my laptop out. LHR transfer was ok - total time spent in both airports is less than JFK immigration queue.
This is not pre-clearance. There is no CBP personnel at AMS. This is just additional security checks for Delta flights. You still need to through immigration and customs clearance on arrival in the US.
Incidentally, I thought that they no longer add the separate Delta screening in AMS. Have they re-introduced it recently?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NickB
This is not pre-clearance. There is no CBP personnel at AMS. This is just additional security checks for Delta flights. You still need to through immigration and customs clearance on arrival in the US.
That indeed is not a CBP pre-clearance facility, but AMS has a history of having some CBP personnel at AMS. But that limited CBP presence at AMS has been part and parcel of the IAP or whatever it is called nowadays and doesn't operate like a CBP pre-clearance facility for travel to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.