“All departures to America from T5B”

Reply

Old Mar 21, 19, 7:55 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,013
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
Surely, pre-clearance would be a huge benefit for those without Global Entry (who comprise the vast majority of passengers)?

Perhaps I'm misreading your post, but you seem to be saying that you would not like to see pre-clearance at LHR because then every Tom, Dick and Harry would have the same easy entry to the US that you currently enjoy.
No I don't have a problem with everyone having Pre-Clearance, just that it means you have to be at the airport much earlier and tight connections are problematic.

Edit to Add: Also those with CCR and GF access will also have to head to the gate at least an hour, possibly 2 hours, before departure which would be a negative for all of them

Last edited by Steve_ZA; Mar 21, 19 at 8:01 am
Steve_ZA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 8:37 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by hshs View Post
Pre-Clearance isn't all it's cracked up to be. At pre-clearance in Dublin, they don't trust that Dublin airport has done its scanning job properly, so out come your liquids and electronics again and off come your shoes. If several US-bound flights are departing at the same time, the queues can be enormous. Global Entry helps with that, of course, but I still find GE on arrival quicker than on departure.

One other nice thing about immigration on arrival is that you clear into a quieter area of the airport. With pre-clearance, you're treated like a domestic flight and disembark into a terminal thronged with hordes of departing passengers.
I take your points but the through-checking of hold luggage that pre-clearance offered me on my one and only experience of it to date was a great advantage.

Having had a CBP officer threaten to send me home from PHL for “abusing the ESTA system” (I make just three 6 night trips per year!?) on a previous trip, I’m now much happier with the idea of being sent back to BHX from pre-clearance at DUB, than from, say, JFK to LHR YMMV.
frank_poulankh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 8:39 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by hshs View Post
Pre-Clearance isn't all it's cracked up to be. At pre-clearance in Dublin, they don't trust that Dublin airport has done its scanning job properly, so out come your liquids and electronics again and off come your shoes. If several US-bound flights are departing at the same time, the queues can be enormous. Global Entry helps with that, of course, but I still find GE on arrival quicker than on departure.
It's not a trust issue more of a regulatory issue. The US and Ireland/EU have different screening requirements and therefore all passengers going airside at DUB pass through Irish security screening and passengers travelling to the US (on a pre-screened flight) also pass through US security. There was a trail in SNN a few years ago looking to a combined screening solution but I haven't heard anything of it since. Link
noFODplease likes this.
VFRonTop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:21 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 27,772
Aside from the T5B issue, I’ve done pre-clearance at DUB a few times (some good, some awful) and a fair few more clearing on arriving in the US (without GE, because I’m an infrequent peasant).

Give me pre-clearance any day ... the last thing I want at the end of a long flight/day is horsing around in an Immigration line at destination. And, IME, mingling with the Domestic pax at the far end is perfectly survivable if you you don’t have your head up your backside. At PHX, after Immigration & Customs you end up in the Reclaim Hall with everyone else anyway ... after a longggg walk!

I use LHR too infrequently to comment on the theory being expounded ... I can see benefits and disadvantages, especially with the very poor T3-T5 connection issue.
lhrpete and bakera like this.
T8191 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 10:58 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London, UK
Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Etihad Guest, Virgin Velocity
Posts: 368
Originally Posted by VFRonTop View Post
It's not a trust issue more of a regulatory issue. The US and Ireland/EU have different screening requirements and therefore all passengers going airside at DUB pass through Irish security screening and passengers travelling to the US (on a pre-screened flight) also pass through US security. There was a trail in SNN a few years ago looking to a combined screening solution but I haven't heard anything of it since. Link
The same is true at AUH. You first go through regular security screening to get airside and then a second security screening to enter the US CBP area before meeting an immigration officer. I've generally found the CBP officers based in AUH more friendly than those at any US airport.
Speedbird676 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 11:23 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,092
.... anyway. Back to T5B...
SK, ajamieson, estate and 2 others like this.
gw76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 11:42 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
Posts: 207
my guess is they are going to stockpile all of the 772s with Rockwell-Collins IFE at T5B so all of us flying in/out of the NYC area are guaranteed the worst possible experience, especially on the 8-hour return home...
TheSafariMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 11:52 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Posts: 2,496
Originally Posted by skipness1E View Post
Just heard from a VERY good source and obviously can’t include the A380s as the three airbridge gates are on T5C.
Inbound B747 holding for T5C even though gates free at T5B as it’s departing to a non US destination. New policy?
T5B has four A380 capable stands.
Airprox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 11:59 am
  #24  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, Babylon-on-Thames
Programs: BAEC Bronze (!)
Posts: 703
T5B CAN handle A380s but has no 3-airbridge equipped gates (yet).
skipness1E is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:13 pm
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 27,772
Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
T5B has four A380 capable stands.
Originally Posted by skipness1E View Post
T5B CAN handle A380s but has no 3-airbridge equipped gates (yet).
Opinion is divided l..
T8191 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:25 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,013
T5B stands 544-558 (5 in total) are wide enough for an A380 - I alighted at one of these recently when all the capable gates at T5C were either obstructed or faulty. None of these have 3 airbridges though, so if they are used then the upper deck passengers need to disembark via the aircraft's internal stairs.
Steve_ZA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 12:30 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: BAEC Bronze
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I use LHR too infrequently to comment on the theory being expounded ... I can see benefits and disadvantages, especially with the very poor T3-T5 connection issue.
I should say being London based I have no personal experience of this. However, it does seem to me that the connections issue revolves around a few things like crowded and uncomfortable waiting areas, relatively long wait times, unfriendly staff and the lack of premium routes.

All of which could be solved with some limited investment in more buses, better control and passenger information systems, more and better trained staff and a better offer for premium passengers. Probably harder to identify will be a little more space for waiting, but some of this would be negated with a more frequent service.

I know probably easier said than done but there are real benefits of reorganising things. For example IRROPs could be much more smoothly handled for LHR-JFK passengers if AA/BA are co-located at T5B and T8.

lcylocal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:14 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Posts: 2,496
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA View Post
T5B stands 544-558 (5 in total) are wide enough for an A380 - I alighted at one of these recently when all the capable gates at T5C were either obstructed or faulty. None of these have 3 airbridges though, so if they are used then the upper deck passengers need to disembark via the aircraft's internal stairs.
4 in total, 544-547. 548 is not A380 accessible, 558 is on T5C.
Airprox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:19 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,013
Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
4 in total, 544-547. 548 is not A380 accessible, 558 is on T5C.
Is 558 slightly narrower? Looks similar to 557 but I obviously have never measured it myself
Steve_ZA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:41 pm
  #30  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 14,747
As far as I can see we have gone from all of T5B being for flights to the USA to pre-clearance in a single bound - yet for the life of me I cannot see how they could process all those passengers in that space. Maybe I will wait and offer opinion when this is actual fact rather than speculation on our parts.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread