Wiki Posts
Search

“All departures to America from T5B”

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
“All departures to America from T5B”

Just heard from a VERY good source and obviously can’t include the A380s as the three airbridge gates are on T5C.
Inbound B747 holding for T5C even though gates free at T5B as it’s departing to a non US destination. New policy?

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Mar 22, 2019 at 2:46 am Reason: Changed thread title from "American departures" to "departures to America" for clarity
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
This would be a nice improvement but seems unnecessary and quite challenging logistically.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Everything will make sense in time...
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
pre clearance prep?
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by woody90
Everything will make sense in time...
Pre-clearance?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Pre-clearance?
Hopefully not! Presumably that would make the T5B lounge out-of-bounds to non-US passengers...
lhrpete, Steve_ZA and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
pre clearance prep?
There would be merry hell to pay if pre clearance were only available to BA / AA at LHR.

So no.

Anyway I thought T5 was already full hence why BA also used T3. Are BA really going to shunt more flights to T3 to accommodate AA at T5? I think not.
nivsy and cauchy like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:24 am

American Airlines moving to T5 so that all TATL is in one place and we lose the T3-5 connections for Europe-USA and BA moving more non-US long-haul flights to T3 - with a new OneWorld lounge in both...?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
American as in airline or country (?) in OP?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:32 am

I think the OP meant all BA-operated flights to/from the US have started using T5B only.

Thence, we have speculation to why that might be....(assuming it is a pre-cursor to something else, and not just an arbitrary logistical challenge BA have set themselves...)

My speculative vote was then than American Airlines might move to join BA in T5B to bring the TATL joint venture under one roof. BA would have to move some more flights over to T3, but would I guess look to prioritize those flights with the fewest premium connections to the US and other T5 flights...
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Pre-Clearance would be a negative in my view as Global Entry negates much of that benefit.

Perhaps if AA moves to T5B all/most/some flights without a First cabin will move to T3.
mrow and gormless like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
It's all pure speculation, of course, but if it meant:

AA flights from T5;
Preclearance at T5B;
and a CCR at T3 to reflect more long haul flights being swapped to there;

then I'd be happy with the change.
Markie, GaxxyFlyer and armouredant like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Pre-Clearance would be a negative in my view as Global Entry negates much of that benefit.
Surely, pre-clearance would be a huge benefit for those without Global Entry (who comprise the vast majority of passengers)?

Perhaps I'm misreading your post, but you seem to be saying that you would not like to see pre-clearance at LHR because then every Tom, Dick and Harry would have the same easy entry to the US that you currently enjoy.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:49 am

Plus if you have GE, it still makes immigration quicker than for everyone else at the pre-clearance....? Which - given the connections model BA runs at T5, could be really important as without GE you would need to allow longer for connections...
hshs likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA LTG MM
Originally Posted by Misco60
Surely, pre-clearance would be a huge benefit for those without Global Entry (who comprise the vast majority of passengers)?

Perhaps I'm misreading your post, but you seem to be saying that you would not like to see pre-clearance at LHR because then every Tom, Dick and Harry would have the same easy entry to the US that you currently enjoy.
Pre-Clearance isn't all it's cracked up to be. At pre-clearance in Dublin, they don't trust that Dublin airport has done its scanning job properly, so out come your liquids and electronics again and off come your shoes. If several US-bound flights are departing at the same time, the queues can be enormous. Global Entry helps with that, of course, but I still find GE on arrival quicker than on departure.

One other nice thing about immigration on arrival is that you clear into a quieter area of the airport. With pre-clearance, you're treated like a domestic flight and disembark into a terminal thronged with hordes of departing passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.