JFK T7 - Galleries or Alaska Lounge?

Reply

Old Mar 21, 19, 6:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: BAEC - Silver, BonVoy - Abassador Elite, HH - Diamond
Posts: 27
JFK T7 - Galleries or Alaska Lounge?

Hi peeps,

Flying out of JFK this evening in lowly WTP (so no pre-flight supper access) and was wondering if you guys have an opinion on what offers better food/snack selection, the BA Galleries or Alaska Lounge (which I have access to vis PP)?
Or should I just suck it up and visit the (gasp) main terminal food options?

Thanks!
gemcan83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 6:24 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 23,404
Definitely main terminal.
NauticalWheeler likes this.
orbitmic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:07 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 18,017
The AS lounge has a permanent-ish sign outside it stating they are not accepting Priority Pass members due to overcrowding. It was there when I was in T7 last the other week and AS are notoriously bad at allowing PP members in at all their lounges citing the same issue.
Fraser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:23 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: BAEC - Silver, BonVoy - Abassador Elite, HH - Diamond
Posts: 27
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
The AS lounge has a permanent-ish sign outside it stating they are not accepting Priority Pass members due to overcrowding. It was there when I was in T7 last the other week and AS are notoriously bad at allowing PP members in at all their lounges citing the same issue.
Boo! OK, I'll dine from one of the wonderful offerings in the main terminal LOL
gemcan83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 10:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: BA Exec Club - Silver
Posts: 78
Does anybody know if the Galleries lounge at T7 is still closed for refurbishment works?

When I was there a few weeks ago it was closed and all passengers had to use the F lounge. (Which I must admit, I wasn't that fond of. But that could've been because it was twice as busy as normal with all those who would normally be in the galleries lounge.)

I'd probably also second main terminal based on my experience!
flyer_tom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:32 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 18,017
Originally Posted by flyer_tom View Post
Does anybody know if the Galleries lounge at T7 is still closed for refurbishment works?
When I was there a couple of weeks back there did appear to be an entrance to where the Terraces was, on the right behind the reception desk and I saw people going back in there but couldn't see anything beyond the temporary partitions.

As a Gold I was directed to the First lounge which, whilst rather busy, can't have been everyone with lounge access. I think it's just Golds and Club World passengers who are using the First lounge for Pre-Flight Dining. There was another person stationed just inside the First Lounge entrance who was asking passengers if they were in Club World or not.
Fraser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 2:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: OSL
Posts: 4,315
Was at the F lounge (not the pre-flight dining area) a few months ago and it was a joke for an F lounge in terms of catering...
ung1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 2:55 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: BGI | CMH
Programs: AA Platinum | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Posts: 131
If you have One World Sapphire or higher. Go over to T8 and visit the AA flagship lounge.

Did this 2 weeks ago when flying BA WTP. Very nice lounge. Much better then the galleries option.
Shadowfactor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 3:55 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 18,017
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor View Post
If you have One World Sapphire or higher. Go over to T8 and visit the AA flagship lounge.

Did this 2 weeks ago when flying BA WTP. Very nice lounge. Much better then the galleries option.
Before someone says it's not possible TSA rules do allow you to access the airside portion of any terminal same day. Expect a bit of grief from TSA who will think you don't know where you are going. Usually a confirmation you know you're supposed to be from T7 and are using the lounge should suffice (at least based on my experience of doing similar at other airports)
Fraser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:23 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sussex, UK
Programs: BA Gold, HHons diamond
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Before someone says it's not possible TSA rules do allow you to access the airside portion of any terminal same day. Expect a bit of grief from TSA who will think you don't know where you are going. Usually a confirmation you know you're supposed to be from T7 and are using the lounge should suffice (at least based on my experience of doing similar at other airports)
Wish I had known this earlier this week. The BA lounge was simply unpleasantly crowded and I wished I had left it later to get to T7. Still only the first section open and so no option of a pre-flight shower and queues for toilets. I was swapping messages with colleagues flying back with Virgin and I canít see that they will want to change their choice of airline anytime soon based on our comparison of our experiences.
Nickl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 19, 6:33 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: BA Exec Club - Silver
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by Nickl View Post


Wish I had known this earlier this week. The BA lounge was simply unpleasantly crowded and I wished I had left it later to get to T7. Still only the first section open and so no option of a pre-flight shower and queues for toilets. I was swapping messages with colleagues flying back with Virgin and I canít see that they will want to change their choice of airline anytime soon based on our comparison of our experiences.
I have to say I also think the Virgin Atlantic Lounge at JFK is streets ahead of the BA F lounge.

Depending on how how youíre feeling, you can pay to gain access to the Virgin lounge. However, Iím not sure if you have to be flying with Virgin? (IE itís just Economy and PE passengers on a VS flight who can pay to access, or anyone.)
flyer_tom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 19, 8:42 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: BAEC - Silver, BonVoy - Abassador Elite, HH - Diamond
Posts: 27
Well, what a joke the BA Lounge was last night! (As reported itís the F lounge as Galleries is closed) So crowded, people were practically fighting for seats and you could barely move around it.

Additionally the staff were not keeping on top of the clearing and restocking, every time we went for water the bottles were empty, same with the wine! And when you eventually flagged down a member of staff to request a restock they would snap at you and eventually get to it.

The food was passable, if you could get to it before it was all gone (sandwiches and pasta was sufficient for us).

And Alaska was a no-go for PP as predicted.

If the front desk wasnít so inundated I would have asked them how long the referb is going to take and Iíll be selecting a flight on AA metal until then so I can fly out of 8
gemcan83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 19, 4:41 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: BA Exec Club - Silver
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by gemcan83 View Post
Well, what a joke the BA Lounge was last night! (As reported itís the F lounge as Galleries is closed) So crowded, people were practically fighting for seats and you could barely move around it.

Additionally the staff were not keeping on top of the clearing and restocking, every time we went for water the bottles were empty, same with the wine! And when you eventually flagged down a member of staff to request a restock they would snap at you and eventually get to it.

The food was passable, if you could get to it before it was all gone (sandwiches and pasta was sufficient for us).

And Alaska was a no-go for PP as predicted.

If the front desk wasnít so inundated I would have asked them how long the referb is going to take and Iíll be selecting a flight on AA metal until then so I can fly out of 8
Sad to see that it sounds pretty much the same as when I flew out of there. Timing wise I think we flew on the 8am flight to LHR.

So judging by what others are saying here, when I'm back in a few weeks time I should hop over to T8 and use the AA flagship lounge there?
flyer_tom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 19, 4:56 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 232
I was turned away from the Alaska lounge (flying Icelandair on this occasion) due to overcrowding a few weeks ago. They did suggest that theyíd be reopening to Priority Pass members later that evening. Iíve always found the F lounge to be fine, if underwhelming for a flagship destination. Itís a welcome escape from the tipping culture that exists in most other US lounges. Obviously the additional temporary overcrowding is likely to be an issue.

Two words of warning:
- T7 security queues are some of the worst Iíve seen in a large airport in a developed country so bear this in mind if you visit the AA lounge
- Avoid Le Grand Comptoir in the main terminal at all costs. Some of the worst service Iíve witnessed anywhere. The average Google rating of 2.3* is extremely generous
EMA ON BA is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread