Community
Wiki Posts
Search

380 or 777 in F from LHR-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:33 am

The A380 without question on this route, compared to the 777.

That being said, if CX F is available - I would take that over either of the BA services.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Always stay on the Island at Pacific Place or Central.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I've got a soft spot for the Harbour Grand (on HK Island, near Causeway). The Club rooms have good views over the harbour, afternoon snacks and drinks, and it's very convenient for the MTR. It's not one of the prestige luxury brands yet it is very pleasant, the staff are nice, and the prices are not stratospheric.

GIven a choice I would fly there on the A380, in any cabin.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
I've not flown this route on BA (which might be telling in itself!) but the earlier 777 flight timing will be better for jetlag whilst the later 380 is a more modern F cabin. However these are first world problems and I recently started making decisions based more on how I would feel at the destination and, given you will be up front on both, I would say in most practical terms its pretty marginal. The new F soft product will (unless you are going in the next few weeks) be bedded in and so the experience should (with the exception of the hard product) be near identical.

Knowing how discombobulating travel to the far east can be, and the fact that F, in my experience, is more about the luck of which CC you get than the aircraft you travel in, I would take the earlier 777, sit back with a nice Dartington flute of LGPS or tumbler of JWBlue, and feel sorry for the poor pax behind you who will almost certainly feel the bigger delta between the 777 & 380 in their respective travel classes than you would in F
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boten
Agree that the A380 is better but the A380 is now the later flight of the two. The earlier, I find, is significantly better for getting over jet lag. In fact, I find flights to Singapore/Japan/Hong Kong that depart 6pm to 7pm are the best flights jet lag wise. That is just my experience though.
Agree. Flight time makes a bigger difference. I also find the A380 rather over-rated as an experience - acres of unusable space in the seat. The 777 is a bad plane but I quite like the F cabin.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Regardless of cabin anyone who travels enough will know the 777 is a terrible aircraft for making you feel dehydrated and jet lagged, best avoided if possible especially on overnight flights . The A380 has the benefit of a better F seat as well as a better cabin atmosphere.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
A380 every time.

We stayed in the Four Seasons (booked through Virtuoso for additional benefits) and thought it was superb.

Also be sure to take full advantage of Downtown Check in to get rid of your luggage on the final day. MTR > Privileges and Complimentary Services
If you don't you'll be stuck at the check-in desk until 2 hours before the flight when you could be in the lounges enjoying a spa treatment, shower and full dinner.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood
The recently opened Murray has joined my top picks.
Without. A. Doubt.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:17 am

The A380 is better than the 777, but CX F is significantly better than either of them if you can find an acceptable price.

If price isn't an issue I would choose the old Mandarin Oriental or the Upper House for the hotel. They're the best two in HK all things considered. The Four Seasons is beginning to get a little tired, and the Ritz whilst nice is in the middle of nowhere.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Also be sure to take full advantage of Downtown Check in to get rid of your luggage on the final day MTR > Privileges and Complimentary Services
If you don't you'll be stuck at the check-in desk until 2 hours before the flight when you could be in the lounges enjoying a spa treatment, shower and full dinner.
4 hours before departure. BA counters in HKG open around 19:30 for early check-in, and 20:30 for all counters. But I do agree, best to check in at Hong Kong Station or Kowloon Station earlier in the day, so you don't have to drag your bags across town, or spend the afternoon and evening in the Wing and Pier F for massages, bathtubs, nap rooms, sit down dining and the bars.

Might I also suggest the Ritz Carlton, the harbour view from the rooms facing the harbour side are fantastic. (Given good weather of course) It is just next to Kowloon Station, which there also is a shopping mall connecting the hotel to the station.

And of course, A380 for the hard product, but 777 if you want to see if you're lucky with an empty cabin, though sometimes, both flights will be full.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Regardless of cabin anyone who travels enough will know the 777 is a terrible aircraft for making you feel dehydrated and jet lagged, best avoided if possible especially on overnight flights . The A380 has the benefit of a better F seat as well as a better cabin atmosphere.
This is fairly well documented...although I would probably still seriously consider an early flight on a 777 to minimise those 3am wide-awakies, especially if its a one-off/rare treat where the excitement of F travel and a city break will mitigate much of the pain.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
This is fairly well documented...although I would probably still seriously consider an early flight on a 777 to minimise those 3am wide-awakies, especially if its a one-off/rare treat where the excitement of F travel and a city break will mitigate much of the pain.
indeed. I find the A380 gives me a fairly marginal improvement, whereas flight timing can have a much bigger impact on my ability to sleep, energy levels, tiredness. Have been doing this route since 2001 so have learned the hard way. 😂
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Boten
... but the A380 is now the later flight of the two.
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
... the later 380 ...
Only for the next few days.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: Meh
Choose CX.
bowzer91 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Choose CX or QR via Doha if not too much of a problem.

BA F is of course a great product - compared to other travel classes - but heavily depending on the crew you get so do yourself a favour and have high but reasonable expectations.

Also worth to note that QR Q suites will provide you a superior experience in J (other frequent fliers can challenge me on this one) compared to BA F, so I would consider to save the money on the flight, buy a J Qatar ticket, and splash out the money on a great hotel room in HKG (in example in the Ritz Carlton).

The above would be my choice but of course, you have your own considerations I guess. Anyway have a good flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.